IGNORED

Tool Question

Motorrad4fun

I am coming up on my 18K, K1200GT, pretty fast and am in need to make sure I have all the tools I need to do it and the 24k (Tech Daze Rush) thumbsup.gifclap.gifthumbsup.gif

So, I think I will need a set of Torx sockets and ???? what have you found to be a tool you need to have for these undertakings and general Maint

(ok, and it is time to buy new tools)

Thanks

Did someone call??? My ears are burning! tongue.gif

Let's see... did you do you own svc at 12k? Do you have the mongo allen for the tranny drain plug?

What else.... confused.gif

Do you have the mongo allen for the tranny drain plug?

Yeah, about that allen for the tranny drain plug. Where can one be found?

I ended up making one out of a hardened metric bolt. I jammed 2 nuts together on the end of it so I can put a socket on it for getting that plug out. I doubt that I will ever do my own valve adjustments. I just don't have the time. I bought the bike for fun not to have something else to work on. Fluids and pulling a wheel to have someone mount me a new tire are about the extent of what I will do.

I don't recall any Torx you need that's not in your bike's toolkit. However, a "screwdriver" set of Allen, Torx and Etcertera bits comes in handy for removing the body panels.

Long and short 3/8 drive extensions come into play.

I have both a set of 3/8 inch "samll" allen adapters, and then "the large set" (which is quite expensive but does get used around here), both from Craftsman.

Proper size spark plug adapter.

Torque wrench of at least 5 to 80 ft/lb. I have three units that span 40 in/lb. to 200 ft/lb and have used them all at one time or another for the oil filter to the rear wheel.

The 12K service is not that involved -- absent that you are leaving the valves alone for at least 24,000 mile intervals, until you find you can go even longer. Confidence is gained in that by checking them at 24K and 36K, and realizing the are/are not changing.

The other more involved items are annual or bi-annual, like cooling and brake system flushes. They are within "our" realm of competence, but I still leave those to the dealer so that a thorough and complete examination and lubrication cycle can take place.

Best wishes.

Stefan

More than anything else I think you need a service manual CD. Without it you might screw up the braking system, along with a few other things.

Bruce C

Bruce, I have been looking for one but it is like bigfoot very illusive. Do you know were I could find one, any help would be great

As far as I know there isn't a GT specific CD(never made by BMW). I have a '04 KRS, I bought a CD from Pirate's Lair @ $95.00(also Motobins in the UK for same price) and had it printed at a local shop for another $23.00. The CD is dated '02, but has everything for the '04 KRS, except the heated grips. On a GT you would be missing the heated seats,handgrips, and powered windscreen. Everything else seems to be there.

Bruce C cool.gif

My local Autozone store caries a set of 3 large hex bit sockets (something like 12mm, 14mm, 16mm) and you can use the 14mm for the tranny.

I bought my service manual on eBay for $20.00. It was complete for 2002 and up K12RS but won't cover the electric windscreen, heated seat and add on fairing components up front on the K12GT.

Archived