IGNORED

R12RT Speedometer design fault

graemer57

I guess I am lucky living in South East England. It is easy to get over onto the continent and, of course, all UK speedometer are calibrated in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour making them suitable for use both in the UK and abroad... But there is a significant problem with the R1200RT. In the dark only the MPH figures are illuminated and it is impossible to read the KPH figures. It is unrealistic to expect a rider to keep in their head the MPH to KPH conversion equation and apply it every time they glance down at the speedo!! Someone somewhere at BMW has slipped up in allowing such a design fault to get through quality control. It is a wonder that European type approval regulations don't insist that the KPH figures should be lit up in the dark? Anyone else noticed this problem? If not you will as soon as you drive in France after dark!!!!

Yes, I noticed it last weekend on a trip to Belgium. You've got two choices really, either learn to calculate the difference, or buy a Sat Nav like the Garmin Quest, which not only navigates you about, but also gives a constant speed display in KPH or MPH. The Quest is also more accurate than the speedo (which is pretty accurate anyway).

Am fortunate to have BMW Nav II which you quite rightly say displays speed in either MPH or KPH and it was invaluable on the continent... am using a motoconcepts mount too, which places the sat nav above the clocks on the dashboard and keeps the sat nav screen in line of sight much better than the BMW yoke mount... but it still doesnt excuse BMW cocking up the KPH display on the speedo the first place. I know it isnt that difficult to mentaly convert MPH to KPH but any time processing this kind of info is time that you are not doing other things, like being fully aware of your motorcycling environment.

I found this on a government website outlining the type approval regulations. Surely if the KPH marking on my R12RT speed cant be read in the dark, then it must comntravene the type approval regs?

3.6. Speedometers

Every motorcycle first used on or after 1 April 1984 and capable of more than 25 mph must have a speedometer which reads in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour either simultaneously or separately by the use of a switch. A speedometer which is approved to Community Directives 75/443/EEC as amended by 97/39/EC, 2000/7/EC or to UNECE Regulation No.39 is acceptable.

Interesting observation. Living in the States, I doubt I would have ever noticed it, but I agree that BMW was not thinking globally when they designed it.

Jay

Sure right they weren't thinking globally... or should that be they just weren't thinking!! The daft thing is I have checked 10 cars since making my first post, including 3 BMWs and in every case both the MPH and KPH figures are illuminated when the lights are on. D'oh!!!!

Archived