IGNORED

K75 engine shuts down when warm

captbobbbbbbb

captbobbbbbbb

I have a 1986 k75c, just got it..... first bike, has been in storage for 5 years.

replaced ; fuel pump, fuel filter, battery, rebuilt fueltank cap.

fuel pressure is 30- 32lbs

when I run the bike it will randomly die while underway, the bike will restart after a period of time. There is no fuel flow when the bike is in shut down mode.

my problem is?

John Ranalletta

Check out the fuel pressure regulator that returns excess fuel not sent to the injectors back into the tank.

I had a 75 that sat for years. After welding holes in the tank and replacing all the innards, the thing just wouldn't run except in short stints. I sold it and the buyer said he replaced the regulator and fixed the problem.

One possibility is the power to the fuel pump passes through the fuel level sending unit inside the tank and they have been known to go bad (easily replaced for about $100) causing intermittent interruptions in power to the fuel pump causing the pump to stop and the bike dies. The electrical plug going to the tank can also be a problem - make sure pins are clean and tight. When the bike dies test to confirm you're getting power to the wire at the fuel pump when the starter button is pressed. If no power at the wire at the pump, check for power at the electrical plug to the tank. If the plug is getting power, but the pump isn't, replace fuel level sending unit.

I'm with elwoodpone on this one. My K100 did the same thing. I bought a can of electrical cleaner spray and sprayed the motronic connections and that took care of it. I also changed the plugs. That seems stupid but it was really effective in curing ignition woes. The motronic is under the seat.

Archived