IGNORED

R12RT side case scuff protector

blackyam

What hazard is that protector protecting the bags from? My side cases - 1100 instead of the 1200 - are scuffed on the top and sides from my boots hitting them when I get on/off the bike, not on the bottom. Don't see the benefit in 'em myself.

Your local BMW stealer will happily sell you a very nice, custom molded bottom half rubberry protectors to fit your side cases for about $150 for the pair.

I bought a set for my 05 RT AFTER I gently laid it down on the right side (why is it ALWAYS the right side?) in a driveway.

LUCKILY, the self adhesive protector covered up the marks made by the drop. Proof that these would have prevented any paint damage to the case.

IMHO, they look real good too.

Actually well worth the $$$

If it goes all the way over and moves on a hard surface (road) it will scratch the paint at the upper edge of the bags (don't ask me how I know). However, a mild tip over with the "scuff protectors" on will protect the lower part of the bags. I've done that also. And, I like the way they look.

DSC_9557.JPG :thumbsup:

IMG_0100.JPG :dopeslap:

Roy :grin:

Hi. Thank you all. That was helpful. (Roy, laying down your bike to demonstrate was above and beyond the call of duty!) :-)

OK, I'll put this item on my list of things to get, right after a supplemental brake light and the horns from the 2005 model (if they will work on my 2010; does anyone know?). Thank you all again.

---John.

wbrissette

The other place I've scuffed mine are near the top where the safety strap inside the case came off and the entire lid flopped down on the asphalt. This put some (not so) nice scratches in the lid. I've been very careful since to make sure this doesn't happen anymore more by having my leg there to catch the lid in case the strap isn't attached.

But I don't think the protectors would have done much in my case. Otherwise, they look nice on the bike, just not sure I would spend the $$ myself.

Wayne

Whenever I open mine, I always make it point to stand in front of them so that the lid drops against my leg, just in case the strap came off. Better safe than sorry. Those lids don't grow on trees!

$$$$

wbrissette
Better safe than sorry. Those lids don't grow on trees!

$$$$

Tell me about it. The lid case on both sides have been replaced already! (Happened when I had my accident two years ago). Just the lid cases (not the entire case, just the lids) are $500!

Wayne

BeemerLover

From experience I can tell you that the "bottom protectors" will not protect you if the bike goes over. You will still have scratches on the sides of the cases, especially if the bike goes over with some force and the back tire leaves the ground, which it often does. RT's I've rented in Europe allways have pock marks on the side cases due to this!! Beemah's suggestion of the Wonderlich bars is a good one.

I wish I could find some sort of attractive durable decorative bar that would attach lenghwise across each side case that would take the damage instead of the paint!!!!

Well, I did see this at the 2006 MOA Rally in VT.

I never saw the owner so I don't know what it is but it looks like some rubber stick on bumper material probably available from auto supply places.

IMG_0231.JPG

Roy :/

Dave_zoom_zoom

I never saw the owner so I don't know what it is but it looks like some rubber stick on bumper material probably available from auto supply places.

IMG_0231.JPG

WOW!!!

This has the potential to be a huge step forward to solve a chronic and wide spread problem.

I tried my local auto parts store (Lordco) and they didn't know of any product that could bend in that tight of a radius.

Please, can anyone tell us what product that might be?

Thanks!

Dave

Another approach taken by the PO on my 07RT was to mask off the bottom section and spray on "Rinohide" which is used as a pick-up truck bed liner. It is bullet proof and does not show scratches. Cheap and simple.

rinohide-XL.jpg

What about the vinyl sheets for protecting the top of the bags from boot scuffs when swinging the leg over? Or is it too much like those clear plastic covers Mom put on all the nice sofas and chairs? ;)

Dave_zoom_zoom
Another approach taken by the PO on my 07RT was to mask off the bottom section and spray on "Rinohide" which is used as a pick-up truck bed liner. It is bullet proof and does not show scratches. Cheap and simple.

rinohide-XL.jpg

Thanks John

I'm about to cover both of the side cases with Rinohide! Could anything be more susceptible to being scuffed!

Dave

• 2 months later...
Dave_zoom_zoom

IMG_0231.JPG

I would love to purchase a pair of these thin wraparound (not the type on the bottom - I have those) protectors that are shown here on the face of the lids.

I've tried the automotive parts stores. They don't have anything that can be applied in the close radius required in the corners.

Is it posable there is a BMW part number for these? Any other sources? So far I'm not having any luck.

Of course I could always commit to never again allowing my bike to drop-------But thats not a reality for me!

Thank You

Dave

Archived