IGNORED

2006 R1200ST misfire on start then no power

Hame181

I have a 2006 BMW R1200ST yesterday after riding it to my friends home approx 40 klm then leaving it on the side stand for 9 hours I went to start it and it fired twice then appeared to cough or misfire and shut down all electrics. When I turned the egnition key off the LCD screen only, appeared for 5 seconds then nothing, when turning the key back on no display or lights appear. I have checked my kill switch and made sure that the bike is in nuteural but still nothing. I know that my bike doesn't have fuses but does it have a reset switch. Can you give me some indercation on what the problem would be .

Thank you

Optional Information:

Year: 2006

Make: BMW

Model: R1200ST

Engine: Boxer

Already Tried:

Disconnecting the battery for a period of time then reconnecting with no success

MY buddy with my old R1200ST had this happen. Turned out to be a broken wire in the harness at the steering head. he reproduced it at the dealer and they tracked it down quick for a cheap fix.

JT

Evening Hame181

Difficult to say what you have there.

Sounds like a total loss of battery power.

SO, start by making sure BOTH battery cables are tight at the battery.

If the cables are tight then put a DC volt meter across the battery posts to see if your battery is above 12.3 volts. If it is then turn the key on & see what the battery voltage does (should still be above 12 volts).

If the battery is up then look for things like failed ignition switch or broken wires.

Hi guys thanks for the advise, the problem was a dead battery when I put the multi meter on it read 10 volts and when I switched the key on it dropped to 4 volts so I put a new battery in and all is good so thanks again.

Archived