IGNORED

Summer riding pant recommendations...

johnhunter44

johnhunter44

Anyone ever try out the Olympia Recon 2 or 3 pants that convert to shorts? I want either a pair of mesh overpants or something like these, and just wanted your thoughts...Riding in S.C. during the summer is tough. 96 today and humidity is up. Whewwwwww!!

I use a pair of BMW Summer2 pants. They also zip off into shorts. I think they are great and wear them for just about every ride in the summer. I think I picked them up off Ebay for around $75 lisghtly used

John, slight hyjack but pants related and maybe Keith can answer. I have a pair of BMW Summer pants 1 and have a question about how the knee pads should fit. Where should the knee pads be relative to your knee when standing / sitting? Standing my knee pads are below my knee and sitting the pad is partly over the knee.

John, I don't know if you are inseam challenged as I am (30") but I think it's possible to shorten the lower leg portion (the stock leg length needs to be shortened in my case anway) by removing the zipper and removing pant material and reinstalling the zipper thereby moving the pad higher. I'm not sure that is an option with regular pants although some have adjustable knee pad pockets. I think Keith's II version has the adjustable pockets.

My Summer2 pants have VERY large knee pads. They cover from slightly above the knee, down to almost the top of my riding boot. I have maybe a small 1/2" gap when sitting on the bike. When standing, they look kind of goofy. Here is how they hang on me when standing.

5250_122002264356_554499356_2260346_6802666_n.jpg

When standing, the top of the knee pads sit just below the middle of my kneecap. Once seated on the bike, the pad shifts up and covers my whole knee and about half way down my shin. My riding boots cover the lower portion of my shin.

John, I had an online look at the Olympia pants you are considering and they are somewhat like the BMW Summer pants (1&2) that Keith and I have at least as far as the knee armour. I had given up on pants (purchased off ebay like Keith's) because the knee pads were too low but thanks to your timely post and Keith's response I've had a closer look at the knee pad pockets on my version.

It turns out that the series 1 version that I have actually have a velcro patch near the bottom of the knee pad pocket that when used props the knee pad higher in the pocket. Now that I've done that the knee pad sits as Keith describes his - almost half way up onto my kneecap while standing and when I sit on the bike, between bending of the knee and splaying out of the leg, the knee pad shifts to cover my whole knee. Eureka!

Next issue is I'm finding when my legs are straight down while sitting on the bike that the pant legs (not the bottom hem) catch on the pegs as I move my legs back and forth while moving the bike (I know, I know, I should be using the engine :rofl: but sometimes a guy has to park). John, I hope I'm not getting too far off base from your original question but I hope this is as helpful to you as it is me.

I notice the Olympia ad shows their pants being worn over the boots the same as how Keith wears his and how I wear mine but perhaps I'll have to wear mine inside the boot to get away from the pant legs snaring the pegs???

Glenn Reed

I am going to take a look at the Olympia Recon 3's tomorrow. I will keep this in mind and ask to wear them on the bike, not just around the store.

Glenn Reed

Ok, so I went to my local dealer today, Bob's BMW, and based on the discussion above, tried on the Olympia Recon 3's and the BMW Summer 2's.

The Olympia's are mesh, and do have the zipper matching all of my Olympia jackets. They also have a vertical zipper on the lower section to help in dealing with boots. However, they do have much smaller knee armor, and foam in the hip area, not armor. Because of the mesh fabric and grey color, they do have a Terminator type look.

The BMW's are solid fabric, not mesh. The lower section does not have a vertical zipper, so they are more difficult getting on and off with boots. They do have much larger knee armor, and real armor in the hip area. The tan (also available in black) pants, especially when being worn as shorts are, in my opinion, better looking. They list for $50 more than the Olympia.

Even though they were more expensive, based on the better armor, and the better look off the bike, I decided on the BMW Summer 2 pants, and rode home with them on. I will have to get the Olympia zipper sewn onto them so they mate up with my Olympia jackets, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

YMMV.

John Gregory

I've got the Recons and enjoy them. I've been riding this week with them in the mid nineties and have no problem. Bought mine at Bob's 3 years ago. I've got the matching jacket also. The SC heat and humidity make anything hard to keep cool. Highly recommended by me!

with my tan Summer 2 Pants, I find that the fabric is uncomfortable against my skin, so I wear a very light pair of liners/long johns. Of course, if your going to zip the legs off, that might be a odd look!

johnhunter44

Thanks for all the comments. I went ahead and got the Recons. Plan to ride some this afternoon, but I gotta get them hemmed. They seem to fit well, except for the length. I will post how they perform, but gotta be better than riding in shorts. Done that, but don't like doing it, and to be honest, just wearing blue jeans doesn't offer much more road rash protection than just shorts....

I've got the Olympia Recon's and to date they're my favorite riding pants. Good workmanship and materials, Decent ventilation and they're NOT black!

I've got the Olympia Recon's and to date they're my favorite riding pants. Good workmanship and materials, Decent ventilation and they're NOT black!

There is a nice key. I'm so glad most companies are moving away from good old standard black. The best venting in the world can only do so much when you are attracting heat like a solar panel. :grin:

RockBottom

I find that when it's over 90, I can't tolerate anything except kevlar lined jeans and cargo pants. I know I'm giving up protection, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

And, John, based on your avatar, I'm surprised you haven't found some kevlar lined bib overalls! (Being USC '78, my wife '79, my brothers '82, and '83, and my sister in law '87, I felt compelled to may that point).

Archived