IGNORED

fireworks now bad?

Matts_12GS

I think it has little to do with the alleged "environmental impact," but rather certain people despise the idea of celebrating independence (What an old-fashioned, irrelevant concept!) and are couching their hatred in concern for the environment.

russell_bynum
I think it has little to do with the alleged "environmental impact," but rather certain people despise the idea of celebrating independence (What an old-fashioned, irrelevant concept!) and are couching their hatred in concern for the environment.

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner.

I'm sure there is a fireworks app you can download so we don't need live ones.

You could even watch it while driving thru In & Out.

We shouldn't stop here.

Light pollution from Christmas lights should be a high priority too.

And Bar BQ.

That smoke is an environmental nightmare.

And a right field net at Giant's stadium so that McCovey's Cove will no longer be polluted by HR's landing in the water or smacking sea creatures in the noggin.

We shouldn't stop here.

Light pollution from Christmas lights should be a high priority too.

And Bar BQ.

That smoke is an environmental nightmare.

Damn straight! And what about Gilroy? The place reeks of garlic. That can't be good. Who's going to stop that? :D

Matts_12GS

I think I'm missing what your point is here Sean, are you for against this group? :rofl::wave:

Not sure where I stand on this one.

It's along the same lines as opening a can of paint...

Each day in the Los Angeles Basin, more than 23 tons of VOCs are released into the air from architectural coatings, according to government regulators. That is more daily pollution than is typically produced at an oil refinery or power plant and more than is emitted by 1.5 million cars.

"People think they're just opening a can of paint, so what's the harm, what's the big deal?" said Nancy Feldman, a lawyer with the South Coast Air Quality Management District.

Link

Don't get me wrong, I love fireworks but also clean air & water.

No idea what's going on in San Diego, but it seems to me that large scale fireworks can pose public safety, fire and environmental hazards. Some regulation of them sounds reasonable to me and I'm happy to let them decide their approach locally. Celebrating the country's independence doesn't change this any more than it grants an exception to building codes or traffic laws.

I suppose just about anything can pose hazards, but that really isn't what this is about. It's about setting the barrier for these hazard studies so high that the city won't even attempt to overcome them, but instead cancel the event outright. Which of course is the intended goal of those proposing the "impact studies."

Archived