IGNORED

Ceramic clutch?

vfrman

I have an '06 RT with a sintered clutch from Wunderlich.

In short, I don't like it. The clutch is fine when the bike is cold. But once it's been ridden for a couple hours - even freeway riding, it begins to chatter quite a lot from a stop.

I've heard from cops that they use a ceramic clutch.

Anybody know where to get one?

Thanks!

Afternoon Patrick

I can’t help you on where to get a ceramic clutch.

Just a thought-

On your sintered clutch, you might try launching at a higher engine RPM. Those sintered clutches seem to launch a lot smoother at a higher slip difference upon launch roll out.

SailorJean

On the ADVRIDER forums, in the section HACKS, there was a few threads on the sujbect of ceramic clutch on R1150GS and R1200GS.

A few riders have a GS hooked to a sidecar, and the ceramic clutch can take a beating (off road, low speed).

If I was you, I would go there and use the SEARCH facility.

http://www.advrider.com/forums

On your sintered clutch, you might try launching at a higher engine RPM. Those sintered clutches seem to launch a lot smoother at a higher slip difference upon launch roll out.

Thanks for the tip! I've been trying to ride it like it has the stock clutch - low revs to get it going.

You might be right.... with this clutch, I might need to feed it more gas.

On the ADVRIDER forums, in the section HACKS, there was a few threads on the sujbect of ceramic clutch on R1150GS and R1200GS.

A few riders have a GS hooked to a sidecar, and the ceramic clutch can take a beating (off road, low speed).

If I was you, I would go there and use the SEARCH facility.

http://www.advrider.com/forums

I just looked up those threads. Also called the BMW dealership and was told those clutches (from Sachs) are $670!

I think I'll try revving the engine higher and see what happens.

I have an '06 RT with a sintered clutch from Wunderlich.

In short, I don't like it. The clutch is fine when the bike is cold. But once it's been ridden for a couple hours - even freeway riding, it begins to chatter quite a lot from a stop.

I've heard from cops that they use a ceramic clutch.

Anybody know where to get one?

Thanks!

+1 - I have exactly the same experience- I dislike it. Its selling point is also its main disadvantage - indestructible! But it feels like it will do damage downstream from itself. Yes no smell, but that's because it can't really slip! If you are ultra-careful, it can release smoothly but it certainly wouldn't be good in town daily. I have found that minimum revs and as quick a release as possible works best. High revs can cause chatter due to a stopped wheel and high revs, but I am seriously considering going in next winter and changing it out. There is a oil-resistant clutch that might be a good compromise - even though I hate paying for a feature I don't need, it still looks sturdier than the stock clutch. Oil resistant clutch

+1 - I have exactly the same experience- I dislike it. Its selling point is also its main disadvantage - indestructible! But it feels like it will do damage downstream from itself. Yes no smell, but that's because it can't really slip! If you are ultra-careful, it can release smoothly but it certainly wouldn't be good in town daily. I have found that minimum revs and as quick a release as possible works best. High revs can cause chatter due to a stopped wheel and high revs, but I am seriously considering going in next winter and changing it out. There is a oil-resistant clutch that might be a good compromise - even though I hate paying for a feature I don't need, it still looks sturdier than the stock clutch. Oil resistant clutch

Hi Hugh,

This oil-resistant clutch is a great find, and one that I will seriously consider in the near future.

I remember you replacing your clutch around the same time as I did.

It was fun to share similar experiences and discoveries with you at the time. It was definitely the most in-depth job I've ever done on a motorcycle before.

I'm not exactly looking forward to doing it again, but at least I know I can do it.

Hi Hugh,

This oil-resistant clutch is a great find, and one that I will seriously consider in the near future.

I remember you replacing your clutch around the same time as I did.

It was fun to share similar experiences and discoveries with you at the time. It was definitely the most in-depth job I've ever done on a motorcycle before.

I'm not exactly looking forward to doing it again, but at least I know I can do it.

Yep, I was almost about to go for the oil-resistant one!.

I do remember that the instructions that came with the sintered clutch talked about soaking the clutch overnight in oil, which I thought was weird and which I didn't do of course (the instructions were for wet clutch setup). Anyway, like you, I'm not looking forward to doing it but I am not afraid of it either. Just follow the instructions :grin:

I had no idea the oil resistant clutch existed when I went for the sintered clutch. I wish I did.

We definitely don't have a wet clutch set-up, so it was probably a good thing you didn't follow directions! ;)

Archived