IGNORED

Which fingers for braking?

lkraus

I've been reading quite a bit lately about riding skills, brushing up on things a bit before taking an Experienced Rider Course next month. On the subjects of trail braking and simply covering the lever as a precaution, I'm getting the impression that two finger braking uses the index and middle fingers on the lever. When I try this, I find that I have very poor throttle control, it is uncomfortable to ride with finger-hand-forearm aligned, and I am not real confident about my grip on the handlebar. I've always used thumb and index for throttle, with the other three fingers resting on the brake. Is there some consensus on which fingers work best?

I use index and middle finger.

+1.....I always cover the front brake with my index and middle finger. No issue with throttle control.

russell_bynum

+1.....I always cover the front brake with my index and middle finger. No issue with throttle control.

+1

But it did take some practice to get the throttle control

And to be able to hold that grip all day.

Interestingly...when I'm on the track, I don't cover the brake and I generally use all four fingers when braking. No idea why, but it's just how I do it. :shrug:

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Do whatever is comfortable. If it isn't comfortable, you either won't be able to use the muscles when the time comes or, you'll just not do it the way you're "supposed to".

Me too.

I aspire to ride like a girl.

:thumbsup:

I was trained to use all four with the thumb wrapped on the throttle. Instructor would jump all over you if he saw anything else. This was on KZ1000P trainers, well before the 1150 power brake era.

That said, I use index and middle finger to cover the front brake only while lane splitting.

Paul Mihalka

Motors training to use all four fingers may come from older Harleys needing a much harder pull to stop at all. Most today's bikes need just a light pull on the brake.

I use index and middle to cover and normal braking, all four if I brake hard.

The last time I took the experienced rider course they wanted all fingers for breaking. However, other books I have read said that two finger breaking is perfectly acceptable especially with ABS breaks.

russell_bynum
The last time I took the experienced rider course they wanted all fingers for breaking. However, other books I have read said that two finger breaking is perfectly acceptable especially with ABS breaks.

ABS has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's all about how much lever travel and/or force you need to get maximum braking out of the bike. Some older bikes (including some with ABS) require enough lever travel that you could trap any fingers that you leave on the throttle grip. That's a bad deal obviously because it means you're not going to be able to squeeze the lever anymore, and it means that you can't do anything with the throttle.

Most newer bikes have brakes that don't require much force or lever travel to get the wheels to the point of lockup/abs engagement, so it the "trapped fingers" thing is not an issue.

Of course...there's also brake lever adjustments...some people with small hands run the levers really close to the bars, and if you ride their bike and expect to be able to keep a couple of fingers on the grip, you could have problems.

I always cover fr brake with index finger when crossing intersections.

When in freaky traffic, I cover with index and middle.

Why does this hurt to do forever?

There are 2 nerves running thru your hand, 1 per 2 fingers.

1st 2 fingers get median nerve, last 2 nerves get ulnar nerve, both sets run all the way up the arm.

They don't like being strained all day.

russell_bynum
I always cover fr brake with index finger when crossing intersections.

When in freaky traffic, I cover with index and middle.

Why does this hurt to do forever?

There are 2 nerves running thru your hand, 1 per 2 fingers.

1st 2 fingers get median nerve, last 2 nerves get ulnar nerve, both sets run all the way up the arm.

They don't like being strained all day.

You get used to it. (or...at least...I did.)

Morning lkraus

Asking someone else what finger(s) to cover your brake lever with is not going to tell you much. Everybody’s hand is built a bit differently.

Try different configurations to see what works for YOU.

You seem to have an uncomfortable feeling one way so try another way.

Wherever you get to work well will be YOUR best way.

I have a bunch of different bikes with different brake lever bends and different length levers so when I lay my hand on the grip not always the same fingers line up with the lever & lever dip in the same way. So I use different finger configurations on different bikes.

You want to do what ever works the best for you to maintain good throttle control while applying proper brake lever modulation and not crushing your fingers in a quick stop situation.

Try every configuration & keep the way that works the best (for you).

I cover the brake lever with the ring and pinky, keeping the index, middle and thumb upon the throttle.

I do so because my physician informed me that the two little fingers have over 75% of your overall grip strength. Additionally, I find it much more comfortable and natural (YMMV) and applying the principles of leverage, I get great deal of effort from those two out by the end of the lever.

When I intend to brake I use all four fingers.

I use only the middle finger most of the time. Splitting lanes, index and middle as anything else will put ME over the front of the bike!

Definitely the MIDDLE finger only!!

That way you'll have it INSTANTLY available for the second you no longer need it to avoid the collision.

Glenn Reed

That way you'll have it INSTANTLY available for the second you no longer need it to avoid the collision.

For the ADVRider salute? :rofl:

I cover the brake lever with the ring and pinky, keeping the index, middle and thumb upon the throttle.

I do so because my physician informed me that the two little fingers have over 75% of your overall grip strength. Additionally, I find it much more comfortable and natural (YMMV) and applying the principles of leverage, I get great deal of effort from those two out by the end of the lever.

When I intend to brake I use all four fingers.

Yeah, that's not correct, in fact its inverted. I cover with the index and "favorite" fingers while keeping the ring, pinky and thumb on the throttle.

I guess I should read what I write? :dopeslap:

• 2 weeks later...

In many motor schools in California they teach to cover the brake lever with all four fingers, keeping the wrist down, allowing for a quick roll off the throttle as you transition to braking. All this one/two/three finger stuff doesn't really make sense to me. Why do you need to brake and apply throttle at the same time?

russell_bynum
In many motor schools in California they teach to cover the brake lever with all four fingers, keeping the wrist down, allowing for a quick roll off the throttle as you transition to braking. All this one/two/three finger stuff doesn't really make sense to me. Why do you need to brake and apply throttle at the same time?

It isn't about throttle and bake at the same time (though there is a reason to do that...rev-matching your downshifts). It's because it is easier and more comfortable to keep at least a couple of fingers on the throttle. It's less fatiguing and makes throttle control easier. (at least...that's why I do it)

For me it's so I can get on the brakes quicker. I don't have to lift my fingers from the grip and move them to the lever to brake quickly.

Survived-til-now

I tend to ride with index and middle finget on the lever when I am in traffic - it gives a quicker braking response.

But this "all four fingers" is interesting because try this exercise: grip the throttle with your thumb, ring and little fingers, apply your index and middle fingers to the brake hard. Now try to release your ring and little fingers as though you wanted to apply extra pressure to the brake lever - doesn't work!

So I think its a balance between faster braking with two and maximum with four - but you can't have both without releasing the lever to get the other two onto it.

And just to be awkward, I cover throttle with thumb and index, with the other three resting on the brake lever. Never managed to trap my finger yet, no matter how hard I've needed to brake. Likewise, never had any problem with needing to apply more pressure to the lever if required.

Westy, I'm with you, though I'm still experimenting. When I started this thread, I had just bought an '06 RT, and was still switching off with my '82 Seca 650. Muscle memory developed over 28 years on the Seca is hard to retrain. The RT lever is closer to the bar and the "power" ABS takes strength out of the equation, as long as I can keep from sliding forward. I can brake OK with index & middle fingers, but if I do not think about it, I find I use index and thumb on the throttle, and the other three covering the brake.

The MSF experienced rider course was yesterday; the instructors wanted all four fingers, but I cheated. Thanks to the ABS, I was stopping in half the distance the Harleys and Shadows everyone else rode. One instructor may be trading up!

For me it's so I can get on the brakes quicker. I don't have to lift my fingers from the grip and move them to the lever to brake quickly.

In situations that may require quick braking application you can cover the brake lever with all four fingers, while maintaining throttle control with the heel of the hand. This way the tips of all four fingers rest on the brake lever. When rapid braking is required, the hand rotates forward, thus releasing the throttle and all four fingers apply the brake uniformly. I still don't see the need for the one/two/three finger approach.

As for braking and down shifting to use engine braking, I don't think that makes sense either. The argument for the one/two/three finger approach is that it speeds up the braking response. So the conclusion must be that it is for "emergency" reasons that the brake is covered in such a fashion. During emergency braking no engine braking by down shifting is used in any technique that I'm aware of currently.

russell_bynum

In situations that may require quick braking application you can cover the brake lever with all four fingers, while maintaining throttle control with the heel of the hand. This way the tips of all four fingers rest on the brake lever. When rapid braking is required, the hand rotates forward, thus releasing the throttle and all four fingers apply the brake uniformly. I still don't see the need for the one/two/three finger approach.

That certainly works, but most people find that too tiring to maintain for an extended period of time.

As for braking and down shifting to use engine braking, I don't think that makes sense either. The argument for the one/two/three finger approach is that it speeds up the braking response. So the conclusion must be that it is for "emergency" reasons that the brake is covered in such a fashion. During emergency braking no engine braking by down shifting is used in any technique that I'm aware of currently.

That's correct. You said that you didn't see the point of needing gas and brake at the same time. I gave an example of a situation where you use gas and brake at the same time.

Mee too,,,

• 4 weeks later...

+1 :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Need to assure that any fingers left "under" the lever won't be squeezed by hard braking. That was the reason given for using index and middle fingers at a recent Lee Parks class.

• 2 weeks later...

+1

But it did take some practice to get the throttle control

And to be able to hold that grip all day.

For pretty much forever, this is the way I rode. Over the past couple of years, it's become uncomfortable--tingling and general discomfort through my forearm as my aging and abused body fights me--and I've had to adapt. Now, I cover when I'm in traffic or riding energetically ( :/ ), but I do not cover when I'm cruising on the highway, in situations where I'll likely be able to anticipate a problem a bit earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

In light traffic, middle finger only. In heavier traffic or when there are a large number of "threats", I cover with middle and index. I find that my middle finger provides enough force on my 2005 R1200RT.

• 3 weeks later...
...I cover when I'm in traffic or riding energetically ( :/ ), but I do not cover when I'm cruising on the highway, in situations where I'll likely be able to anticipate a problem a bit earlier.

Ditto. Under most circumstances I do not cover the lever at all and brake with a 4 when needed. If the situation appears sketchy I will cover as indicated previously.

Has anyone tried this? I cannot remember where this came from but it was part of a discussion of having better throttle control while also covering or braking. The suggestion, acknowledging the rather unusual feeling at first, to try and see if using the 3rd and 4th fingers on the brake lever would work for you and leave thumb, 1st and 2nd fingers for throttle gripping. I am still more a 2 finger braker (1st and 2nd) as with the linked and servo assisted brakes on the K-RS, that more than does the job.

NCS

OK.. I kinda monitored this on the way home. It varies. I did notice I use fingers 2-3 (and sometimes the wee little 4) a lot, especially when braking and blipping the throttle for a down shift and engine braking. Fingers 1-2 when just covering or touching the brakes.

NCS

Archived