IGNORED

Spurious oil warning on '06 R12RT

dyvking

Over the weekend I rode out through Death Valley on my '06 RT. The oil warning on the BC (!) came on. I stopped, centered the bike and checked the oil like a good little boy, and the sight glass showed midline. I restarted the bike, and the warning symbol went away. Later the same thing happened, and happened a couple of times the next day.

Would the oil sensor indicate a warning if the bike is only a half-quart or so low from the full mark? Or do you think my BC or the sensor are BMW-SNAFU'd ?

Thoughts appreciated.

Mine does the same thing as do a lot of other peoples. Mine seems to star at about a half site glass and becomes more consistent as the level falls. I have had it happen when it is full also. Most are ignoring it and hoping BMW will fix the problem.

The advice I was given at the dealer is the same as what you did already, check it when it is warm and ignore the indicator.

100,000 people have never been able to figure out how to repeatedly, reliably check the oil level in a boxer, how in heavens name did BMW expect a sensor to be able too?

It's the second stupidest sensor BMW ever put on a bike. (The first was the oil temperature sensor!)

Best advice - forgetaboutit.

Second best advice - tapeoverit.

Third best advice - ignoreit!

For a few days now I am riding a brand new '06 shop R1200RT that will become a demo/manager bike. In one ride the oil warning came on and 50 miles later without stopping, it went out again. 50 miles after that I got home. After leaving it on the center stand for a while I checked the oil. It was half way between the dot and the top of the window. Go figure. And I'm supposed to sell them (which I do pretty well smirk.gif )

I've started filling it all the way up to the top of the sight glass and now have fewer oil warnings <!> - but I still get them now and then. As the manual says, when I stop the warmed-up bike on level ground and let it idle for about ten seconds, the warning goes away. It's still a nusance so I don't pay much attention to it.

Brian

My oil warning light comes on with the sight glass half full. I'm just thankful it doesn't flash like the low fuel icon.
Does the ! come on even if you don't have the BC set to display oil level?

Yes, it does show even if you don't have the 'oil' check selected. About 1500 miles on mine now and I am having the same indications. Check it while warm on centerstand and level is perfectly centered in glass but still gives warning once in a while. I am going to try adding a little to see if that helps. Just remember, the whole sightglass 'range' is much less than the typical qt, it is more like a 1/4 qt (something in ounces or ml).

BoxerChief

Yeah.. you get the <!> exclamation point coming on just to the right of the "BC" icon on the display. Then, as you cycle through the BC views, when you get to "OIL" the <!> is displayed where the check-mark goes, just to the right of the word "OIL".

Yeah.. you get the <!> exclamation point coming on just to the right of the "BC" icon on the display. Then, as you cycle through the BC views, when you get to "OIL" the <!> is displayed where the check-mark goes, just to the right of the word "OIL".

And for this I paid $50?????

Gimme' a sight glass and a center stand any day of the week.

And for this I paid $50?????

Gimme' a sight glass and a center stand any day of the week.

You did get that. That was the part that cost $18,000.00 wink.gif

Not to worry, it won't work right for long after posting it to the world in writing, grin.gif

Mine remains the only one that works properly. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Paul

I like living dangerously as that's the 2nd time I've posted a similar comment. grin.gifgrin.gif

But - 7000 miles and so far so good.

Mind you its virtually the only bit of the OBC which does work properly. smile.gif

Paul

That is very strange. Since it works, I would never trust it,LOL! Mine is unreliable so I just use the sight gauge. Seeing is believing....

I like living dangerously as that's the 2nd time I've posted a similar comment. grin.gifgrin.gif

But - 7000 miles and so far so good.

Mind you its virtually the only bit of the OBC which does work properly. smile.gif

Paul

I have an 05 RT1200RT and had no clue what the low oil icon was that popped up out of no where. After checking owners manual I found what it represented. I then checked the level as demonstrated to me buy the dealer and all appeared to be well. So I dumped in a few ounces, and was on my way. The dreaded icon then reappeared in what I considered to short of a time. My most recent top off had me adding 8 ounces and this kept the icon hidden for a considerably longer time. I look at is as more of pain then a usefull tool.

Fran

I have an 05 RT1200RT and had no clue what the low oil icon was that popped up out of no where. After checking owners manual I found what it represented. I then checked the level as demonstrated to me buy the dealer and all appeared to be well. So I dumped in a few ounces, and was on my way. The dreaded icon then reappeared in what I considered to short of a time. My most recent top off had me adding 8 ounces and this kept the icon hidden for a considerably longer time. I look at is as more of pain then a usefull tool.

Fran

After my original post, I went ahead and added about 500cc. So far, that has kept the warning away. So, I guess my warning light will come on when I'm around a half-quart low. It's a new bike, and I expected it to use a little oil at first. I'm actually glad I found out precisely what my oil status is when the warning first comes on. clap.gif

HairyCannonball
Mine remains the only one that works properly. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Paul

No, mine works perfectly too. As long as the oil appears halfway up the sight glass or above, no warning. When it drops below half, then the warning to check that it might be low. I don't understand what all the problems are. Mine is very consistent.

Tim

Over the weekend I rode out through Death Valley on my '06 RT. The oil warning on the BC (!) came on. I stopped, centered the bike and checked the oil like a good little boy, and the sight glass showed midline. I restarted the bike, and the warning symbol went away. Later the same thing happened, and happened a couple of times the next day.

Would the oil sensor indicate a warning if the bike is only a half-quart or so low from the full mark? Or do you think my BC or the sensor are BMW-SNAFU'd ?

Thoughts appreciated.

The problem is most likely the sensor itself. Since there are so many others having the same problem, it is clearly endemic. It should be possible to disconnect the sensor and (if necessary) connect a dummy resistor or whatever else is needed to simulate a sensor registering a full sump.

This is a perfect example of stupid technology. After all, what are the chances that a sump that was checked every few days (by sight glass) will suddenly be dangerously low, without the rider noticing the bike was peeing oil out? Clearly this is a solution to a non-existant problem, that now CREATES a problem itself.

Bob.

Tim,

Mine works like yours, below half way dot in sight glass I get an occasional "check oil reminder" (that is what it is, isn't it?). Above the dot I did saw the reminder a couple of times in the first few hundred miles, but not any more (4,650 miles on now). It seems many of us get all upset, just as with the fuel countdown, until we figure out how to use it. I mean, how many complaints would we get if the reminder came on when there was no oil in the sight glass? Or, if the fuel count down led you to bone dry instead of a 1.1 gallon reserve.

On another note, the oil shows consistantly in the sight glass. Appearantly BMW set the oil cooler up to allways drain down or never drain down. Thus, consistant levels in the sight glass. clap.gif

Regards,

Carl

It seems many of us get all upset, just as with the fuel countdown, until we figure out how to use it.

Carl

I don't think anyone was particularly upset, just curious if this is how it is supposed to work, since the manual doesn't specify. After the many useful posts, it's clear to me now that the warning is intended to go on at about 0.5 quart low.

Thanks to all who responded! thumbsup.gif

BTW, it seems the fuel countdowns aren't all that consistent. Mine reaches zero miles when I've still got a gallon left. I heard from several others who stated that their bikes are near bone dry when the remaining miles show zero.

Well not to confuse the issue but my BC shows " OIL ---". And that is all it has ever shown since I brought the bike home. I have started it a couple of times...let it run to warm up but no change in the BC indication. When I check the sight glass it is right up to the top, I even have to tip the bike a little to the opposite side, (with the help of a friend), to get the oil to drop enough to see where the top of the oil level is. Could it be 'too full'??

Jim

Well not to confuse the issue but my BC shows " OIL ---". And that is all it has ever shown since I brought the bike home.

Jim

Mine is sometimes reluctant to show the check mark while I'm riding. It seems that if I just leave it on the 'check oil' option on the BC long enough, eventually I get the check mark. I'm trying to wean myself away from the dang thing, and just go with my ears, nose, sense of balance, Zen and the 2 analog instruments, like in the old days.

That's a tough row to hoe for a gadget freak like me though. crazy.gif

If you have to lean the bike to it's left to see the oil level.. then yeah, you may have a little too much. The 'max' level on the sight glass is just below the top of the circle. You should be able to see the oil level line and a little bit of clear glass at the top of the circle when the bike is on the centerstand on level ground.

Thanks Walt, there probably is just a 'smidge' too much oil, but at the rate the new engines seem to be drinking the dino, maybe I'll just leave it alone for now...

Jim

Mine is about the same as most of you.

The ! comes on about 1/2 glass.

Thats probably where BMW intended for it to come on.

We just think its a problem because 1/2 glass is not really low enough to be dangerous.

Maybe the sensor should have been placed lower in the engine.

Or BMW wanted a big safe buffer zone.

Odd thing though, When I picked up the bike new it must have been very overfilled because I took it in at about 750 miles for its first checkup and the oil was still OVER the sight glass just like it was when I picked it up.

Since the checkup it seems to be using oil at a faster rate and every 200 miles or so the oil is down to halfway again.

They put in 20-50 weight oil at the checkup.

Anyone know what weight was in it from the factory?

Rich

just as with the fuel countdown

My gripe with the fuel countdown is that it is non linear. For the first 220 miles or so, miles elapsed and miles to go are fairly consistent in the 310 to 330 miles area. From 100 miles to go to Zero miles to go takes about 50 to 60 miles. (And even then the tank only takes about 24 litres). If the countdown was consistent over the tank range, it would be fine.

BTW, apropos another post on this thread, isn't half a quart the amount from minimum to maximum? Seems a lot to be regularly topping up by.

Paul

Thanks Walt, there probably is just a 'smidge' too much oil, but at the rate the new engines seem to be drinking the dino, maybe I'll just leave it alone for now...

Jim

How much oil does the RT drink? Say, per 1000 miles...any need to top up? I had a Yamaha that took a litre every 1500 miles...what a pain that was!

I find it amusing that a bike burns oil to the degree ya gotta have a light working like a gas gauge to keep it topped off. grin.gif Checking oil on the sterile Honda is something you don't do.

I love the RT in my garage, but I'm still learning the boxer ways. The bike has logged over 12k miles the last few months, and oil consumption has backed off some.

Providing I ride the bike in a sane manner, will it ever forgo oil in between changes? Do the BMW 4 cylinder bikes burn oil? Or is this unique to the Boxer twins? I don't think its a big deal, just curious.

And my light works like most of y'alls, when it comes on I ignore it for a 2k miles, then check the sight glass.

HairyCannonball
Mine is about the same as most of you.

The ! comes on about 1/2 glass.

Thats probably where BMW intended for it to come on.

We just think its a problem because 1/2 glass is not really low enough to be dangerous.

Maybe the sensor should have been placed lower in the engine.

Or BMW wanted a big safe buffer zone.

Well for me I would rather have the warning come on before the oil got dangerously low. I think thats kinda the point to let the rider know he needs to be aware that oil should be added soon, not to let him know he should pull over and quit riding until he can find more oil. The way it is now when the warning comes on just add oil at the next convenient stop.

As to the posters with high oil consumption, some engines seem to use some oil until the engine is broken in, some don't, but it is rare to have them use oil after break-in.

If you feel initial oil consumption is excessive document it with the dealer and if it doesn't settle down by the 12000 service then start exploring why. Remember the cylinder bore and the rings are harder than a womans head wink.gif so it takes them a while to seat. Once they do they last a long long time.

Tim

BTW, apropos another post on this thread, isn't half a quart the amount from minimum to maximum? Seems a lot to be regularly topping up by.

Paul

It doesn't seem so. My sight window was at midline, well above the minimum line, and 500cc didn' quite bring it up to the max line.

Archived