IGNORED

R1200GS Recommendations for Stuff

semaj

Hi;

Have ordered an 06 yellow non-abs 1200GS, and need some recommendations on "stuff". I am specifically looking at the following right now;

Crash Bars

1. Sw-mototech crash bars

2. Hepco's

3. Tourtech's

Which are better? any reasons for choice? Twisted throttle have the SW-mtotechs on sale for 169.00 So its quite attrachive and quite a difference in price.

2. Lift handles?

3. Windscreens for 6-3" dude?

4. Aftermarket seats, I have quite a sensitive "bottom" after ruining my A.. over the years!

Any and all suggestions on these and other "must haves will be highly appreciated.

the_moviegoer

Hey there,

Having gone through this a few months ago (trying the bike "as is" first), I'll chip in:

I recommend the Alaska sheepskin buttpads - they work for many people (including me - had a Russell on the RT) and are much cheaper than aftermarket seats.

I tried the laminar lip, but it didn't work too well for me, though others really like them (and the Givi screens). I'm 6'1.5" and ended up getting an Aeroflow 1/2 fairing (extra tall) - very nice protection, akin to an RT but much lighter (expensive, though).

I am curious about crash bars, too. My bike had the plastic protectors when I bought it used. So far I've mostly ridden on pavement.

As far as handles go, I'd make sure you need one first. That is, if you're 6'3" you probably have the reach to do without a handle (just grab the luggage rack), and, once the center stand is level on the ground, put your whole weight on it - should pop right up.

Regarding the engine guards I bought some Hepco Beckers that work nicely. I also installed a Tourtech headlight guard and an additional outlet for electrics up front. I installed a set of Jesse Odyssey bags and had a custom rack built for the rear as the plastic thing that comes stock is mostly a joke. I put on a Fenda Extenda for the front fender to keep some mud and stuff off the engine and pipes. I second the vote for the Aeroflow half faring. At 5'11" the standard height works nicely and I believe it gives nearly as much protection as the RT with standard windscreen.

Hope this helps.

Mike

OK my .02 too...

Can't speak to the crash bars, don't have 'em.

I have the Wunderlich lift handle and wouldn't be without it. I'm just too much of a wimp to get any bike up on the center stand without a handle. (Yes I've read all the how to do it post.)

I think trying to get a still air windscreen on a 12GS is a hopeless cause. A LT or RT it ain't. Rather concentrate on getting it so you are in smooth air. The laminar lip has helped some. Changing the angle downward with Tobinators helped me a bunch. (I'm 6' 2".)

Seats are so personal it's hard to really effectively recommend them to someone else. That being said we love our heated Corbins.

Other "must haves"? Oh you really don't want me to go there! Ride the bike for awhile as it came out of the box. What you need and don't really need will shake out.

Enjoy!

I went BMW on the crash bars and cylinder guards.

AND they don't just look pretty like the brush guard on Soccer Mom's Range Rover. I have run both sides in to gravel burms at 20MPH. I have dropped it over, about 110 degrees, on to a big rock with the cylinder head as a fulcrum. I am MORE than pleased at the performance of the BMW protection!

Recommended!

Thanks for all the great replies! I think I will get the hepco bars, tobinators to start with. and as has been suggested start out slowly.

Its a long winter, god knows what I will 'have to do' since I won't be ridingfor the next 5 months!

On a different tack, I endorse the Brake!LED taillight replacement module - much brigher than stock + modulation. A simple plug and play installation.

Unless you've got wads of $ or no regard for your credit rating, stay away from places like THIS (Wunderlich distributor) and Touratech USA. They're like heroin or crack pushers. wink.gif

No affiliation, just a satisfied addict ... er, customer.

Oh Jim, surely you know you can't hold a card to the King of Bling with that sorry little list! wink.gifgrin.gif

Starting from the front of the bike:

Nippy Norman's LED front turn signals conversion with clear lenses

X-pel headlight protector

Touratech oil cooler guard

Tobinators

Flash2Pass garage door opener

Kisan headlight modulator

Stebel compact air horn

GARMIN Quest on GARMIN M/C RAM mount

Kenwood FRS on RAM mount

MP3 input jack, cell phone input jack

Auxiliary Elapse time/voltage/air temp display

Autocom push-to-talk

BigMak tank bag

Foam grips

Kaoka throttle lock

Ztechnik carbon tank protector

BMW cyl. protectors

Touratech exhaust guards

Touratech emblem protectors

Gerbing heat clothing connectors (rider and pillion)

Autocom Active-7 intercom with inputs for GPS, GMS, Cell phone, MP3 player

Blue Sky aux fuse block with the TPS-15 CAN-BUS adaptor

Corbin rider and passenger seats with variable Gerbing heat controls

Touratech side panels

Touratech swing arm caps

Wunderlich lift handle

BMW system cases

BMW top case with both mounts

Touratech under-rack tail bag

Wunderlich rack removal cover

Nippy Norman's LED rear turn signals with clear lenses

Kisan tailBlazer brake light modulator

Nippy Norman's LED tail light & brake light with clear lense

Wunderlich license plate extender

Still to come (if they ever come) - Mottorad Concepts Huggers

thumbsup.gif

surely you know you can't hold a card to the King of Bling with that sorry little list!

Ken, since your checking account is getting an even bigger workout than mine since I bought ol' Gelstra, you really NEED wink.gif the Wunderlich handle bar bag. That thing is the handiest little bugger! I know I don't have to bother telling YOU where to find it!

Oh Jim, surely you know you can't hold a card to the King of Bling with that sorry little list! wink.gifgrin.gif

Starting from the front of the bike:

thumbsup.gif

Holy Crap Ken! I need a defibriliator after reading that list! eek.gif

Now, where are the pictures? grin.gif

Nice, and I bow down to the Kink of Farkles! thumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

Archived