IGNORED

Similar symptoms to HES wiring failure

DunRTer

Hope this may help others. I have had a few breakdowns in the past year, usually after heavy rain. Symptoms have been similar to the known HES wiring insulation fault: intermittent starting/running; okay after lengthy drying-out period (the bike, not my sobriety).

I recently replaced the HES assembly. However, after our first heavy downpour of the season last week, the bike died again, with exactly the same symptoms.

What I finally tracked it down to was the Techlusion after-market injection add-on, which had allowed moisture to enter the circuit. Once that was removed from the system, the bike runs without hiccup (well, except for the usual pre-Techlusion surging).

Since then, I have meggered my old HES assembly, and it measures perfectly.

Since then, I have meggered my old HES assembly, and it measures perfectly.

I am not sure how you used a Megger tester, but would advice caution in using this sort of test equipment with some of the electronics in this circuit.

The Megger is a good tool for insulation testing, but it needs to be done with extrem caution.

Andy

Morning Paul

The water problem effecting early Techlusion units has been posted here numerous times before. That problem has been around for a long time now.

The newer units are sealed much better without the rubber plugs so don’t seem to be effected by moisture intrusion.

Call dobeckperformance and talk to their BMW tec rep. More than likely they will exchange yours with the newer unit.

The usually failure mode on a waterlogged Techlusion is the engine starts & runs OK cold but goes super rich as soon as the 02 sensor comes on line. No chance of a re-start until the bike sits for a couple of hours then a smokey re-start a repeat of the above. Bike runs just fine once the Techlusion is disconnected.

The usually failure mode on a waterlogged Techlusion is the engine starts & runs OK cold but goes super rich as soon as the 02 sensor comes on line. No chance of a re-start until the bike sits for a couple of hours then a smokey re-start a repeat of the above. Bike runs just fine once the Techlusion is disconnected.

Techlusion recommends the O2 sensor be disconnected, and that's how I run mine.

A couple of years ago, about 500 miles away from home, the day after a ride in some big puddles and a lot of rain, my '96 R1100RT started up next morning, ran for a few seconds and died. Plenty of spark, but the left plug was wet. The Techlusion unit's board was wet. I dried it out as best as I could, and the bike started again and ran with no problems. When I got home, the unit was cooked, none of the lights flashed. I replaced it with a new one, no more problems since..

Afternoon gusanito

The old Techlusion 1031 recommends an 02 disconnect, the Techlusion 259 models 1032 & 1033 require an operational 02 sensor to operate correctly.

Afternoon gusanito

The old Techlusion 1031 recommends an 02 disconnect, the Techlusion 259 models 1032 & 1033 require an operational 02 sensor to operate correctly.

Looks like they went to a closed loop system just about the time I replaced mine.

Thanks for all your tips. Yeah, mine was probably one of the first that used the O2 sensor. Andy, as I wasn't intending to use the old unit ever again, I had no hesitation in meggering it, for curiosity's sake if nothing else. The insulation was fine.

Archived