IGNORED

Wesco Boots

DrMikey

Has anyone ever bought a pair of Wesco (or any) custom made boots for riding? Were they worth the money? I'm thinking of something to wear both on and off the bike. Something I could wear on a trip lasting several days. A boot that would be comfy in which to take a two to four mile hike after riding to the trailhead, then riding home after.

moshe_levy

Why is a custom boot required? Any good motorcycle boot is waterproof, rugged and light enough for hiking off the bike as well. I use my motorcycle boots for riding, working outdoors, hiking, and so on. A good set like Sidi lasts forever. My current BMW Allrounds are also quite good, at a reasonable price.

-MKL

sebjones906

Several years ago I bought a pair of motorcycle/logger boots from Wesco, in Oregon. They took a pattern of my foot and made them off the pattern. The boot are very heavy duty and made to last forever. I don't think I could ever wear them out. At the time I couldn't get what I wanted and they were what I wanted. They do not have a goretex lining, it's old school, after waterproofing the leather they don't leak. They fit but they are warm in the desert summers. Tall laceup, solid, not flimsy, want to kick the crap out of a Harley kickstarter, these are the boots.

It's been a long time since I have looked at their catalog so I don't know what they offer today. The company is solid and do good work.

Why is a custom boot required? Any good motorcycle boot is waterproof, rugged and light enough for hiking off the bike as well. I use my motorcycle boots for riding, working outdoors, hiking, and so on. A good set like Sidi lasts forever. My current BMW Allrounds are also quite good, at a reasonable price.

-MKL

'Cuz my left foot's bigger than my right foot is, like a reg'lar zombie hoof.

I have a pair of boots made to measure by Altberg here in the UK. They give me all day comfort and are as comfortable off the bike as on.

When we go touring sometimes we like to park the bikes up and explore a town on foot. The various bike boots I've had in the past were good on the bike but not designed for walking. My Altberg Hogg lites are designed for riding and walking.

I climbed telephone poles for over 16 years and Wesco was the only boot to have for that purpose. I tried Red Wings etc etc and finally bit the bullet on the Wescos. Great boots, but a little overkill and too heavy for riding for my taste. My left foot is about a half size bigger than my right and custom boots are definitely the way to go for that situation. They were very expensive in '82. I can only imagine what they cost now.

Not waterproof nor what you would call walk-about boots. Neatsfoot oil will be your friend.

Wescos are really nice boots. If you don't go too wild on customization you can justify the expense after years of wear. I almost bought a pair as that is the boot Langlitz Leathers brokers, and if Langlitz gives their approval it must be good stuff. I ended up with Aerostich Combat Touring lites, but I don't have mismatched feet luckily...

Love my Wesco's but have never worn them on my bike....pretty heavy duty for that. I can wear my Oxtar's (now TCS) on and off the bike for days at a time, like them so much I have a brand new identical pair waiting for them to wear out in my closet.

sebjones906

A couple more reasons to buy a pair of Wesco boots. Bunions, wierd feet, skinny/fat ankles, huge calves or any other oddity........and I got tired of putting my foot down at a stop sign and have my foot wallow around in a boot. When I put my foot down while wearing a Wesco logger it is like planting a tree, my foot, ankle or leg doesn't move. Esecially noticalbe when riding double.

However, said again...... they are heavy, on purpose.

Archived