IGNORED

R1200ST Farkle Placement

rocketbunny

I've done extensive net searches on this topic and haven't found much information.

I need to fit several things from my old bike into the limited space on my ST:

-Accessory relayed fuse panel

-Starcom + GMRS radio (radio needs to be accessible)

-Audiovox cruise control servo & vacuum chamber (in a few months, not a priority)

Any ideas? I know there is a small amount of space under the rear seat if I relocate the tool roll. How about under the gas tank panels. What did others do?

Also, as of now, my main option for mounting my GPS and XM seems to be 45° 9mm RAM ball mount on the mirrors. (I already own arms/mounts for my gadgets) Anyone else get something working that does not involve drilling?

I've actually heard lots of bad things about vibration on the GadgetGuy mounts and I like to have my key accessable.

I have a Quest2 and a Roady2 and I want them on each side, nothing centered. I ordered the 45° 9mm ram balls this afternoon and I'll look into installing this weekend. I'll take some pics then to see how it looks.

I was also considering making a shelf out of some sheet metal to mount just above the back of the headlights.

On the gadget guy bar I also don't want to cover my key. That's why I would only mount stuff are the outer sides of the bar.

I had the gadget guy setup on my Superhawk and am ordering the new parts to convert it to the ST it worked well with my tourtech gps mount and radar detector even after 25,000 miles

Ever consider replacing the mirror bolt with a threaded stud that has a RAM ball mounted on it? Easy to make and cheap too!

I wouldn't mount anything that weighed too much on it, but an option for lightweight components.

Eric

598675-R1200STbolt.JPG.248be916e1f027b8e3d9bba6bb3a4a70.JPG

Well, I wired up a bunch of stuff this weekend. I'll post pics later, but I just wanted to share what I found under the fairings.

The fairings were ridiculously easy to remove compared to my old Yamaha YZF600r. I found that the plastic gas tank made routing my wires from the handlebars very easy (just taped the wires to the side ofthe tank and concealed them under the fairings. My GPS/XM/PTT switch is all that went up to the front for the moment. GPS (Quest2) is RAM mounted from the right mirror on a long arm and the XM (a new RoadyXT) is on a short arm from the left mirror.

There isn't much room under the left side fairings, but there is a cavernous space on the right side under the gas tank? and above the air intake. This will probably be the future location for my servo and vacuum canister for my Audiovox cruise control that I removed from my Yamaha. There is also quite a lot of room under the front fairing around the forks, which may be a convenient future location for my GMRS radio.

I ended up ziptie-ing my accessory fuse block to a cross bar under the drivers seat (right above the rear shock). I switched my relay off the rear accessory outlet. I put my Starcom in the tool roll area like others have done. The power for my Widder vest is ziptie-ed to the frame on the left side (in a similar position as on my old bike) YMMV.

I still need to install my Hyperlites ( a little leery of tapping into the brake wire), but got a reply to an email from Hyperlites that there should be no problems - they also sent a .doc of install instructions for 2 versions of a R12RT install.

I've just had the fairing off my ST to fit a power socket on the inner panel. The tank takes up a lot of room but on the right hand side there is a moulded bracket with a couple of M8 sized holes which could be useful in mounting something. My Starcom unit is under the pillion seat at the moment mounted in an alloy cradle bolted to the mudguard, but I may mount it at the front instead.

stripped02.jpg

Archived