IGNORED

Declining Mental Health Among Car Drivers

beemerman2k

beemerman2k

Drivers are getting more and more insane out there. People are angry, downsized, offshored, laidoff, unemployed and unjustly considered to be unemployable, divorced, estranged, impoverished, and just plain angry. If we are going to continue to ride, and live, we need to reassess our assumptions about the mental state of the average driver we are likely to encounter.

We need to learn ways to absolutely minimize the degree to which their actions can and will hurt us. But even if we minimize the likelihood, there will always be a window of opportunity for them to hurt us nonetheless. Whether we like it or not, our lives are still very much in the hands of other drivers. We depend upon them generally honoring traffic laws, stopping at lights and signs, yielding the right of way, slowing down for construction work zones -- we are forced to assume these things to an extent as we cannot watch every potential danger every second we are on the bike.

But this honoring of traffic laws is fast breaking down in our society. Add to this cell phone talkers and people who text from behind the wheel, the growing elderly population with all their health concerns and mentally taxing life issues (can I retire?, am I being pushed out of my job?, where's the promised social benefits I paid into all my working life?), the usual hoard of drivers under the influence, and we really have to rethink the feasibility of our passion. I am not advocating we hang up our keys (though for some this might not be an unwise move), I am simply suggesting we reassess the dangers anew and rethink our approach to the daily ride -- and that we reconsider our assumptions about the mental state of the car drivers who surround us out there.

Jerry in Monument

I completely agree.

After being off 2-wheels for 23 years and now back on, I am keenly aware that the deterioration of driving skills/training/attention I have observed in my cage over the years, is greatly amplified on a bike.

Defensive driving is a much more active pursuit rather than a 'warm fuzzy' buzzword.

It almost makes me wish that driver training included a mandatory 1 week motorcycle course so that everyone could experience the vulnerability of riding. That would give the vast majority of drivers a better appreciation and understanding of motorcycling.

One of my pet peaves is failure to use turn signals to alert other drivers as to ones intentions.

I have come to the conclusion that high-end automobiles like Cadillac, Lexus, Acura, Lincoln, Mercedez-Benz, BMW, Lotus, Ferarri, etc., do not even have turn signals. Also, there is evidently a clause in the contract when people buy these high-end autos, that provideds them with actual ownership of the street, road, highway and some level of immunity from law enforcement.

It's horrifying to drive down the highway at 75mph and get passed by someone going 80-85mph and see them flipping pages of some doccument on their steering wheel and talking on the phone.

There seems to be a general lack of concern for fellow motorists and a false sense of safety/invulnerability when we cocoon ourselves in our vehicles. Add to that the miriad distractions presented us by radio/cd/dvd/phone/books/newspapers/magazines/work/games, it's no wonder there are so many distracted drivers.

A couple of years ago I called the police on a guy that was driving a late model luxury car through town watching a movie on his in-dash DVD. I probably wouldn't have noticed except that I initially thought he was drunk from th way he was having trouble staying in his lane. Brilliant.

It all comes back to something that we seem to be running away from as fast as possible in most aspects of our lives.

Personal Responsibility.

beemerman2k
There seems to be a general lack of concern for fellow motorists and a false sense of safety/invulnerability when we cocoon ourselves in our vehicles. Add to that the miriad distractions presented us by radio/cd/dvd/phone/books/newspapers/magazines/work/games, it's no wonder there are so many distracted drivers.

Yes, and add to that yet and still: people are literally wrestling with issues that are bigger than they are, and the first thing that goes when we are overwhelmed with life altering problems is our mental health. Anger, rage, depression, revenge (OK, pretty boy. I don't have a job yet you have a shiny new K1600 upscale BMW motorcycle, which means you not only fit the stereotype of a BMW car driver, you flaunt your prosperity even more by riding a BMW motorcycle! We'll see about that Mr. CorporateTakeOverOffshoringH1BVisaSponsorProfitMaximizingTraitorToAmericanLaborDude. POW!

Given the aging of our population, the well intentioned people will become even less dependable when it comes to them honoring their responsibilities on the road. When the driver says, "I didn't see you", they really didn't see you because they can barely see anything even directly in front of them! Add to that the medical conditions and emergencies that will crop up while they are behind the wheel and it gets bad real fast out there.

It all comes back to something that we seem to be running away from as fast as possible in most aspects of our lives.

Personal Responsibility.

Exactly. I am only arguing, however, that we continue to reassess the conditions we face out there so that we can take personal responsibility for our own well being.

I have come to the conclusion that high-end automobiles like Cadillac, Lexus, Acura, Lincoln, Mercedez-Benz, BMW, Lotus, Ferarri, etc., do not even have turn signals. Also, there is evidently a clause in the contract when people buy these high-end autos, that provideds them with actual ownership of the street, road, highway and some level of immunity from law enforcement.

Well, I'm glad to hear about the immunity from law enforcement since I recently bought my first four-wheeled BMW. :grin:

But, seriously, I think that James raises some points worth pondering. It used to be that my assumptions about how to treat other motorists were based on the notion that they were (a) incompetent and (b) incapable of seeing me. I've now witnessed or heard of enough incidents to conclude that there are people who are deranged enough that you may presume that they are actively out to harm or kill you . . . or, at a minimum, that they simply don't care.

Just one example that comes to mind occurred a couple of years ago at the Un in Gunnison. I came up on a pickup towing a flatbed trailer and was positioned to pass when the driver unmistakably "brake-checked" me. As I tend to do when in close proximity to other vehicles, I was covering my brake lever and reacted quickly enough that it didn't prove to be a problem. Notably, it wasn't a tap of the brake to urge me to back off; it was a significant rate of braking, meant to cause me to crash. Even if we assume, arguendo, that I was following too closely, the conclusion that necessarily follows is this: "You piss me off enough by the way you ride and I am therefore entitled to place your life at risk." Kind of stunning.

I don't know that I have a great strategy for dealing with this development among my fellow motorists, except this: I've now adjusted my calibrations not just to assume negligence, but to also assume malice on the part of those with whom I share the road. As I mentioned above, when in the proximity of any other vehicles that might cause me harm, I cover my brakes and try to anticipate evasive maneuvers. Basically, though, as James has suggested, I've "reconsidered [my] assumptions about the mental state of the car drivers who surround us out there."

Over on the Mr. CorporateTakeOverOffshoringH1BVisaSponsorProfitMaximizingTraitorToAmericanLaborDude forum we have a thread going about those crazed motorcycle riders.

They are all scofflaws who routinely exceed posted speed limits (must be the contract that comes with the bike purchase) roll thru stop signs, split lanes even though it is not actually legal (non-enforcement isn't the same as legal) and hide behind full face helmets so you can't make eye contact with them.

Statistics show that it is much more likely that a motorcyclist will be killed or injured/miles of operation than a car driver so just a head's up to be careful out there.

:/

:wave:

This morning coming to work, a girl on her cell phone just barged on my lane w/o looking much less turning on her blinker. Fortunately I have the habit od lookimng into cars ahead of me and seeing someone with a cell phone is a red flag for me. So as soon as she strted onto my lane I checked my 6 and grabbed a handfull of brake. No problem.

However, how pleasant it was to see a truck on my left lane speed up to catch up to her, give her an earful with his horn, and adamant gestures to watch out pointing back at me.

The girl looked sheepishly at her rear view mirror and cowered shrugging her shoulders.

Sometimes the cagers around us are also bikers. But let's keep our eyes open and ride as if were invisible.

people are literally wrestling

Wrestling while driving? That's one I haven't seen.

Personal compassion aside, I don't really care about the mental health of drivers around me. I care about their behavior and when they're figuratively wrestling with issues, they show the same behavior they always have: drifting, erratic moves, unstable speeds, etc. An increasing frequency of bad behavior does not change my decision process or response.

beemerman2k

Nice story. Good on you for riding good and alert. That's called "active riding", as opposed to "passive riding", which is very deadly.

And good for that truck driver, too. Nice :thumbsup:

beemerman2k

Personal compassion aside, I don't really care about the mental health of drivers around me. I care about their behavior and when they're figuratively wrestling with issues, they show the same behavior they always have: drifting, erratic moves, unstable speeds, etc. An increasing frequency of bad behavior does not change my decision process or response.

That's because you already ride in complete awareness of the mental capacity exhibited by most drivers -- which sadly, ain't much. :cry: But that's why you can live and ride in LA, these types are simply a part of the landscape of which you clearly and alertly navigate :thumbsup:

russell_bynum

Ding ding ding....we have a winner!!!!

beemerman2k

I would argue that SOCAL riders are probably our nations most highly refined motorcylists. Everyday you are on the bike, navigating safely through highly irratic traffic conditions is a necessary skill for survival.

So you *know* your bike, cold; you think an action and it does it. You *notice* traffic cold; you see who is alert and who isn't. You can sense the mood of those around you. You can smell danger long before it's even born, and by the time the driver has lost it, you're long gone. The nutcase was already yesterday's news before he even realized you were there.

In fact, as I think of the threads on this forum complaining of poor drivers in traffic conditions, I'd be hard pressed to remember any from LA! Although that is ground zero for poor driving, tough traffic, and motorcycle riding, you never hear those motorcyclists complaining on this forum. All that insanity is simply a part of their landscape to those riders and hardly merits a mention.

But for the rest of us, such highly refined skills are rarely called upon. Most of our ride is a rather peaceful affair and most of the cars around us are quite sedate by comparison. They drive orderly, move predictably, and do what they do rather slowly (too slowly if you ask me!).

That's why we originate these type of "do you know what some crazy cager did to me today?!" posts. Because for us, it is unusual to encounter such behavior. But I fear that for the rest of us, we are going to encounter it more and more, and more violently as well.

LA? -- what else is new. The rest of the country? -- WTF! :eek:

I always thought the SoCal drivers were the best I have ever seen. Sure, they drive fast, but they are alert. In a traffic jam they are extremely polite about alternating turns when squeezing from two lanes to one. It may come from realizing the person in the car next to you might shoot you dead if you try to cut in line, but it seems to work.

If we are going to continue to ride, and live, we need to reassess our assumptions about the mental state of the average driver we are likely to encounter....

We need to learn ways to absolutely minimize the degree to which their actions can and will hurt us. But even if we minimize the likelihood, there will always be a window of opportunity for them to hurt us nonetheless. Whether we like it or not, our lives are still very much in the hands of other drivers. We depend upon them generally honoring traffic laws, stopping at lights and signs, yielding the right of way, slowing down for construction work zones -- we are forced to assume these things to an extent as we cannot watch every potential danger every second we are on the bike.

But this honoring of traffic laws is fast breaking down in our society. Add to this cell phone talkers and people who text from behind the wheel, the growing elderly population with all their health concerns and mentally taxing life issues (can I retire?, am I being pushed out of my job?, where's the promised social benefits I paid into all my working life?), the usual hoard of drivers under the influence, and we really have to rethink the feasibility of our passion. I am not advocating we hang up our keys (though for some this might not be an unwise move), I am simply suggesting we reassess the dangers anew and rethink our approach to the daily ride -- and that we reconsider our assumptions about the mental state of the car drivers who surround us out there.

Not me -- I have always tried to ride as if those surrounding me in traffic are not only possibly deranged and incompetent, but actually out to kill me, if possible.

Re driving skills of SoCal/LA drivers, I developed great appreciation for them when I lived in LA a long, long time ago. On the other hand, I learned to ride motorcycles in Italy, and I have great appreciation for Italian driving skills as well, so my judgement may be questionable.

I'm not convinced that the mental state of drivers has worsened, but they are certainly have far more distractions at their disposal. I bought my first GPS a few weeks ago, and after very little use, I can see how distracting the ever-changing display can be. I am slightly alarmed by Ford's vision of the car as a linking device for various network-centric devices.

beemerman2k
I'm not convinced that the mental state of drivers has worsened...

I only distinguished your quote, Seldon, because this is exactly my ultimate concern out there on the roads. Has the state of mental health deteriorated? Maybe, maybe not. And if so, it might just be that instead of an average of 1 major traffic crisis we might encounter in 10 years of riding, it's now 1.2 or 1.3 instead. In either case, not often enough to merit front page concern (or maybe even this thread!).

But I have to beleive that all these people who have lost their jobs over the past few years, lost their homes, lost their retirements, lost their overall physical health -- all these people also drive cars on our nations highways. To me it stands to reason that some of their anger and frustration and impairments is going to impact their driving habits. Again, even if I am correct, will it increase in a statistically significant way? No idea. I would only encourage us to consider how events on the national landscape (aging population, unemployment, housing crisis, etc) might impact the mindset of people as they travel on our roadways.

Nice n Easy Rider
I'm not convinced that the mental state of drivers has worsened...

I only distinguished your quote, Seldon, because this is exactly my ultimate concern out there on the roads. Has the state of mental health deteriorated? Maybe, maybe not. And if so, it might just be that instead of an average of 1 major traffic crisis we might encounter in 10 years of riding, it's now 1.2 or 1.3 instead. In either case, not often enough to merit front page concern (or maybe even this thread!).

But I have to beleive that all these people who have lost their jobs over the past few years, lost their homes, lost their retirements, lost their overall physical health -- all these people also drive cars on our nations highways. To me it stands to reason that some of their anger and frustration and impairments is going to impact their driving habits. Again, even if I am correct, will it increase in a statistically significant way? No idea. I would only encourage us to consider how events on the national landscape (aging population, unemployment, housing crisis, etc) might impact the mindset of people as they travel on our roadways.

James, I'm not worried as much about drivers' mental health as I am about their mental capacity. Far too much multi-tasking going on by drivers nowadays as we all know. Even this morning on my way into work a BMW cage in front of me went way over the double yellow on a left-hand turn and even after bringing it back went way over again a few seconds later on the following straitaway. After I got a little closer as he slowed at a roundabout I could see in his mirrors that the driver was busy woofing down his breakfast. As the road became four lanes after the roundabout I was able to pass him and give him a stare and a 'disgusted' shake of my head as I passed him while he continued eating.

Of course, there are many other examples of drivers' multi-tasking but all of them present potential dangers to us riders. :(

Interesting post, and it's certainly worth the effort to reflect and give pause and consideration. Distracted driving has gotten attention here and elsewhere - and let's not ignore all the distraction we riders can incorporate into our rides - GPS, phone, music, ear buds, detectors, etc. Not to mention scenery distractions - it only takes a few seconds of distraction to veer off the road or to miss a critical event down the road.

To the OP's point - perhaps this is an example of the concern: A collision on a storm-soaked stretch of Interstate 805 in Clairemont Mesa killed a 60-year-old Oceanside man Monday morning, authorities said.

The man was identified as Paul Palika, according to the medical examiner's office. The crash occurred amid heavy rainfall shortly before 6 a.m., on I-805 near Balboa Avenue, according to the California Highway Patrol.

A motorist traveling about 80 mph in the far left-hand southbound lane of the freeway encountered slow-moving traffic ahead of him near Balboa Avenue, causing him to lose control of his Lexus SUV, CHP Officer Allen Reyes said. The Lexus slid to the right, struck a big rig and caromed back to the left across the roadway, crossing directly in the path of Palika's BMW motorcycle, Reyes said.

While rainfall was involved, the SUV driver was driving too fast for conditions - and that is probably due to a mental state of mind that somehow justifies and minimizes the risk of such driving tactics. A mindset that seems to be more prevalent nowadays.

beemerman2k

What a terrible turn of events. May Mr Palika rest in peace, and my his family find a way to live in peace with what just happed to this fine and responsible gentleman.

This sad story adds yet another component to everything else being discussed here: as cars become more safe for the driver (abs, anti-skid technology, airbags, protection cages, etc), drivers feel they have less to lose when driving fast. They realize that in the case of an accident, their egos are likely to sustain more damage than their bodies are these days. Furthermore, its not like the legal system is going to hold them accountable for their actions. Maybe a ticket, an increase in insurance rates, and the bother of buying a new car, but after that life returns to normal once again.

Besides the non-signalers and phone talkers, one of my big peeves/concerns are the in-town speeders which are a danger to everyone, especially cyclists and pedestrians. I know the police are probably stretched very thin, but in 25 years, I have yet to see one ticket given on one of our in-town residential "freeways" in south Sacramento, speed limit 40 mph, but drivers going 50-60 with immunity, usually in a monster high-end SUV. A few visible and random tickets every few weeks would make them think twice about breaking the law. Where is law enforcement??

yabadabapal

He needs a little time to think about his behavior. Something tells mw he;s going to get the time he needs. I thought the bike riders were really great riders, nice leans and controll. Plus they were smart enough to call the police instead of handling themselves. Sometimes the only way to win is to avoid the inevitable.

Joe Frickin' Friday

For a long time now I've had a habit: when I come upon someone driving in the passing lane, I ride right behind them - far to the left, in fact, so as to occupy their side mirror - until they finally relent and move into the driving lane, letting me by (although I typically give up after 10-15 seconds and pass on the right).

Recent videos and threads like this are making me rethink this policy. I think from now on I'll just pass on the right when the opportunity arises, never mind trying to let someone know they ought not drive in the passing lane...

russell_bynum
For a long time now I've had a habit: when I come upon someone driving in the passing lane, I ride right behind them - far to the left, in fact, so as to occupy their side mirror - until they finally relent and move into the driving lane, letting me by (although I typically give up after 10-15 seconds and pass on the right).

Recent videos and threads like this are making me rethink this policy. I think from now on I'll just pass on the right when the opportunity arises, never mind trying to let someone know they ought not drive in the passing lane...

That's what I do. If you need passin', I pass. If you're parked in the #1 lane you're probably an a**hole anyway, so the sooner I can get by without interacting with you, the better.

beemerman2k

Don't even get me started on #lane dwellers. They fight to get in that lane and then summarily go to sleep. This Memorial Day weekend our nations highways were chock full of these type of unsavvy, attitude laden drivers. This is the one thing I don't like about holidays, it brings the clueless drivers out onto the highways.

I like to cruise in front of left hand land dwellers. It keeps people off my rear and gives me only the lane behind me and the one to the right to worry about. It's sort of like using a rock in the middle of the river to park your kayak out of the current. Maybe more like using them as an extended rear bumper.

----

beemerman2k

That's an interesting technique, but up here in the north east I'm not sure that's the best approach. If drivers mistake you as the person who is blocking traffic in the #1 lane, then you could well witness the, "declining mental health among car drivers" first hand and in living color.

I would suggest getting far away from such situations. If a car is in the left lane forming a bottleneck, why not get a good distance ahead? Bad things happen when traffic gets bottled up; tempers flare and judgement goes away. You don't want to be anywhere near there should cars start getting super impatient, violent, or lose control of their vehicle (or bump the left lane dweller off the road, which happens from time to time).

Jerry in Monument

Last Friday I left work later than usual so was going to hit the afternoon/Memorial weekend traffic and didn't feel like putting myself in the E-470/I25 mix, nor the southbound I25 jam that typically happens on a combo Friday/holiday.

So I bailed from E-470 at Parker and headed south to take 83 home.

Unfortunately I got some 'mega-mind' in a pickup that felt it necessary to get about 5 feet behind me.

Speed limit is 45mph through Parker and we were all going along fine, I was leaving 3-4 car lengths between myself and the car in front of me.

After about a block I waved this goon off with my left hand and promptly got the finger and he decided to get closer. So I sped up a bit to open the gap.

He decided to again clese the gap. I was in the left lane and had no chance to get out of it since all the cagers were driving bumper-to-bumper. Despite signalling to move out of my lane, no one would open a gap, so I was stuck.

I then lightly gripped my front brake which gets the OEM brake light on and Hyper Lights flash constantly. I'm not sure if it was the color red or the flashing Hyper Lites, but Cletus didn't like this and got even closer and began more hand gesturing.

After a few more blocks we finally got to the point that Cletus was leaving the main road and turning left. Instead of being a responsible cager and moving straight to the left turn lane, he comes along side of me across the painted wedge, again making sure that I know I'm number one. He then does a quick swerve right into my lane then shoots left back to the left turn lane and cuts in front of another car already commited to the left turn lane.

We parted company. Unfortunately I never got his plate #.

I'm sure this was all my fault that I did not understand that this stretch of road belongs solely to him and I was infringing on his territory.

Had I been in my truck, I would probably just slammed on my brakes and left him hit me. See how he likes the repair bill on a 2008 F150 Lariat.

They are out there. And they are most likely propogating.

That's what I do. If you need passin', I pass. If you're parked in the #1 lane you're probably an a**hole anyway, so the sooner I can get by without interacting with you, the better.

Have you noticed anyone who drives slower than you is an idiot? And anyone who drives faster is a maniac.
Joe Frickin' Friday
Had I been in my truck, I would probably just slammed on my brakes and left him hit me. See how he likes the repair bill on a 2008 F150 Lariat.

Then you're part of the problem.

Way back in the good ol' days, Gandhi said:

"Be the change you want to see in the world."

You're troubled by road rage and people deliberately compromising your safety, and your response is to increase the prevalence of that kind of behavior? This will not help things.

beemerman2k

Have you noticed anyone who drives slower than you is an idiot? And anyone who drives faster is a maniac.

The issue, Seldon, is not how fast or slow you drive, but where you decide to drive the way you do. On a multi-lane highway, the left lane is generally considered to be the passing lane. If you want to drive slowly in the right hand lane, great! No one cares about that (well, some people will find a reason to get upset about it, but whatever). If you want to drive fast, then you have no business in the right lane, you need to be in the far left lane.

People generally hold to these patterns, but when they don't, that's when problems arise. Fast drivers in the right lane endanger people wanting to exit, enter the highway. Slow drivers in the left lane create massive bottlenecks, short tempers, and road rage on the highways, not to mention the fact that they are forcing everyone to pass them on the right, and therefore posing that danger to those wanting to enter/exit the highway.

Go as fast or as slowly as you'd like out there, just do it in the proper lane, that's all.

Jerry in Monument

Then you're part of the problem.

Way back in the good ol' days, Gandhi said:

"Be the change you want to see in the world."

You're troubled by road rage and people deliberately compromising your safety, and your response is to increase the prevalence of that kind of behavior? This will not help things.

Joe,

Chill. I meant it tongue in cheek. I would not want to have my truck damaged since that would be a detriment to it's value, not to mention what physical damages could be incurred by myself, Cletus or others.

I would not really do that. Just one of those frustration comments.

Sorry.

beemerman2k

Oh no, now Toyota Prius drivers are losing their marbles!

Toyota recalled 106,000 first-generation Prius hybrid cars globally on Wednesday for faulty steering caused by a nut that may come loose.

Story here

So steer clear of those Prius drivers! :grin:

Joe Frickin' Friday
Joe,

Chill. I meant it tongue in cheek. I would not want to have my truck damaged since that would be a detriment to it's value, not to mention what physical damages could be incurred by myself, Cletus or others.

Sorry. F2F over a beer makes tongue-in-cheekery more obvious, but sometimes it's hard to tell over the internet - and there really are people out there who would (and do) do that sort of thing.

Not to mention that Cletus would not tailgate a truck........He would not feel the same intimidation advantage.

Jerry in Monument
Joe,

Sorry. F2F over a beer makes tongue-in-cheekery more obvious, but sometimes it's hard to tell over the internet - and there really are people out there who would (and do) do that sort of thing.

I agree. Typing totally loses a lot of the pun-n-fun factor.

Jerry in Monument
Not to mention that Cletus would not tailgate a truck........He would not feel the same intimidation advantage.

Not so sure about that. There are numerous people around here and other places that drive so close at highway speeds, that I can barely see the top of their car in my mirror.

And no, my truck is not lifted. Standard 4x4.

russell_bynum

I don't give a crap how fast/slow you want to drive. Just don't park in the #1 lane. Stay left unless you're passing.

beemerman2k

I don't give a crap how fast/slow you want to drive. Just don't park in the #1 lane. Stay left unless you're passing.

I think he means, "stay right unless you're passing" :Cool:

russell_bynum

LOL.

Yup. I guess I've been watching too many episodes of Top Gear on BBC. :grin:

Stay left looks OK to me....

Archived