IGNORED

Damaged valve cover on dual spark left side.

becmat

Hi All,

Just punched a nole in my left side valve cover,doing my own wreching. Anyone know of a dual spark cover available? Other than dealers. I have tried beamer bone yard and several local yards, without success. Any ideas, I don't have the cash to buy from the dealers now.

Thanks, k

Mat

If the spot permits you can use JB Weld after cleaning real well first. This should let you ride it for awhile. Make sure the JB Weld over laps the cover front and back. If too ugly spray matching paint. This is good only for non sealing sufaces with no fasteners.

Morning Mat

How about your insurance? They might just cover that damaged cover especially if it was the result of a bike tip-over.

Stan Walker

Just punched a nole in my left side valve cover,doing my own wreching

Ther has got to be a story here.......

Stan

Ther has got to be a story here.......

Stan

Yes, come on, spill the beans. You know 'confession is good for the soul', 'a proplem shared is a problem....shared', 'there but for the grace of...'

And 'a gloat a day helps us work rest and...laugh'.

Seriously Mat, I hope you get a cover quickly and inexpensively.

Andy

You want a story! OK

When preparing to do some maintenance work on my 04' Rt. I was attempting to remove the left side elf peg from the head cover. The retaining screws were not the proper type, they were regular bolt heads not hex heads that were suppose to be there. Whoever installed these elf pegs used the wrong bolts.The bolts could not be removed by use of a regular socket. The socket walls were too thick and would not fit over the nut head. I was able to get the outside two bolts out, however, the inside bolt did not have enough clearance to get a socket on them, not even a little, even at an angle. The bolts are small probably about an eighth of an inch in diameter.

Desperate people do deaperate things and so I did. I used a 1/4" chisel to see if I could clip the neads off the bolts. first one worked fine, then the second one was too tight and it put too much pressure on the valve cover and I ended up punching a hole in the left side head cover. That ended the maintenance work.

That my friends is why I am looking for another left side valve cover for my dual spart 04' Naturally it would have to be a hard to find part that was only produced about 18 months.

Now you know the WHOLE story.

I once bought new rocker covers for an R1100Rt and was pleasantly surprised by how inexpensive they were, I think roughly equivalent to $60. It was a few years ago though. Have you asked your dealer for a price for a new one?

I sold the old ones, that had the powder coating lifting, on Ebay and got most of the money back for the new ones.

Phil,

I did ask several dealers and the response was $180 to $199 for a new head cover for the dual spark. I guess because they only made them for a limited time and they are unique because they use two spark plugs, they are pricey. The left side is the most in demand

because tip overs occur are on the left side.

Thanks for the advise and trying to help. If push comes to shove I may have to go to the dealer. Not good riding weather here yet, so I may wait a while.

Mat

Real OEM Price:

No. Supplement Qty From Up To Part Number Price Notes

Description: Cylinder head cover Double-Ignition,left

Colour: SILBER

Qty: 1

Part Number: 11127672585

Price: $206.14

Price on Max BMW site: $176.88

Andy,

Thanks for the info. I was fortunate to get in touch with a dealer friend of mine and he happen to have a used cover which he sold to me for 1/2 of he cost of a new one. I guess I will be riding sooner than expected.

Thanks to all who responded with suggestions and advise.

Mat

Archived