IGNORED

Anyone here familiar with State Dept Security Engineering Officer positions

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

A young friend has been offered an appointment and hasn't been able to talk with anyone with "boots on the ground" experience re: typical assignments, living conditions, etc.

If you can share your (unclassified) knowledge, I'd appreciate it.

TIA

A young friend has been offered an appointment and hasn't been able to talk with anyone with "boots on the ground" experience re: typical assignments, living conditions, etc.

If you can share your (unclassified) knowledge, I'd appreciate it.

TIA

John, my knowledge has been attenuated by time, but long ago and far away I knew that they were usually concerned with putting up bomb and riot-resistant installations. A friend who was a Diplomatic Security Officer spent two years overseas and two years in-country on a rotating basis. I suspect that your young friend would not be spending much time in the USA, there not being much call here for putting up secure buildings for the Dept. of State. But if he likes travel and exotic locations and the thrill of maybe being around people who'd like to see his parts distributed over a wide area, well, he's on the right track. If I were a young engineer, especially if I didn't have kids, I'd be all over it.

Pilgrim

If I were a young engineer, especially if I didn't have kids, I'd be all over it.

Pilgrim

I'd agree. I don't know anyone in that position, but have an acquaintance in the Diplomatic Corps. It's a fantastic way to see the world, though the locations and job tasks might be somewhat challenging. The State Department takes good care of its employees, in terms of housing. In some locations, he might be in a government-procured housing area, but in some countries he would be allowed a housing allowance to rent in the local economy. It's not overly huge, but it's generous enough to live reasonably well.

Mister Tee

They are basically local nuts and bolts technical people assigned to foreign State Department offices that have the responsibility for maintaining facilities and security systems. They don't really get in to intelligence itself.

If you qualify for that job but you want to stay local (within the U.S. that is) you might also consider an engineering analyst position with one of the several intelligence agencies (e.g. DIA, etc.) which can be quite interesting work.

John Ranalletta

My young fried declined the appointment. Interestingly, the offer was very vague in regard to many details; and, IMO purposely so to weed out less adventurous candidates who thrive on certainty of outcome.

I got a good and close friend that turned down a similar offer many years ago. He has regretted it.

Tell your friend ... She'll wait.... Or not.

:)

Archived