IGNORED

Front Brake pad retainer pin clip.

don_k

Hi folks,

I just replaced the pads on my front brakes (2000 R1100RT) and the clip that inserts into the pin holding the pads into the caliper snapped. Is there any problem with just finding a similar clip or even a cotter pin at the local hardware store vs ordering a replacement from a dealer? According to the diagram on Max BMW's online parts list the pin and clip come as one part. There is nothing wrong with my pin, just need a new clip.

Thanks in advance,

Don K

Jerry Duke

I believe this is the part number: 34112330418

I just checked and BMW Chicago has them for $16.13 each, and they give a 20% discount.

But if you're in a hurry, find another dealer because it could take them 3 or 4 weeks to ship....

I would drill the pin and put another safety in there. Don't remember what they are called now but one side is straight and the other one has like a ")" on it. Hope you understand what I mean.

Dan.

Afternoon Don

I would grab the clip out of the other side then take that to your local auto parts store. See how close they can get to the original. Auto parts stores unusually have a pretty good assortment of clips and pin retainers.

Hi folks,

I just replaced the pads on my front brakes (2000 R1100RT) and the clip that inserts into the pin holding the pads into the caliper snapped. Is there any problem with just finding a similar clip or even a cotter pin at the local hardware store vs ordering a replacement from a dealer? According to the diagram on Max BMW's online parts list the pin and clip come as one part. There is nothing wrong with my pin, just need a new clip.

Thanks in advance,

Don K

Hi Don, those little R clips are available from Auto stores. It might not look the same as the OEM part, bit will do the job fine.

I have seen other solutions which look less prone to loss and that would be to fit a small split pin and just bend the legs back to suit.

Archived