IGNORED

Ideas??? 1200 GS wont start

Ghostryder

Mostly a lurker here, but I could use some help please. I went to get it from the dealer a couple of weeks ago (warranty issue) and It took me 4/5 tries to get it started. It would crank, but wouldnt start. Finally it started and I noticed that it was running a little rough. No big deal I figured that it was sitting for a few days and that It would work itself out. While I was riding it I noticed that it was a bit rougher, and would shake a lot more when I was at idle at a stop light. I figured that they may have updated the software on the bike and this caused the TB's to go a bit out of sync. Again no big deal Ill take care of that. Call a buddy and ask him If I can swing by and sync. The TB's No problem, Ill go see him in th AM. Well go out to start the bike, and 3/4 tries wont start. Finally starts, Idles rough and cuts out. Start it again, idles like dog squeeze and cuts out. Now It wont start, starter fires but thats it NADA nothing else. After a few more tries it sound like the battery is about dead so I curse the pile of crap, throw gloves and walk away. Any ideas?

Im thinking that the TBs are out of sync which is the least of my problems, now the battery seems like it went dead. Is it o-kay to jump it from a car? What would cause it to go dead from just normal use? I know that the battery issue has happened tp a few people, what was the end result, what was the cause? Any/all help would be appreciated. Thanks

ClearwaterBMW

could be a lot of things

walk out to the left side of your bike

is the plastic rebreather tube connected to the motor

they come off a lot

this a simple issue/if it is NOT in place, the issues you discuss can happen right away

many folks here are 100's times smarter than me on this

may i suggest that you also pose your question at

http://www.advrider.com/forums/

THAT is the place to get the most posts about GS's....

a lot of the folks frequent both forums, however

good luck

go check that rebreather tube/sounds crazy

but it's happened to a lot of folks

greg

Thanks, I guess I should have said that I looked at all the little things that could come off, get loose or disconnected. I am more concerned as to why the battery would crap out so quick more that the rough idle. I posted on AVD rider as well. Thanks again.

You tried re-setting the brain yet? This needs to happen if the battery has been disconnected. You turn on the key, wait for everything to cycle, then slowing open the throttle all the way twice. The procedure in listed in your owner's manual; you might want to double check that procedure, but I think I recall it correctly.

Bob

ClearwaterBMW

well

it's normal that the battery craps out so quickly

it takes a lot of power to turn it over which is why you should ALWAYS start the bike with the clutch PULLED IN.... takes some drag off the starter

i think that it's time for the bmw techs to have another look, unfortunately

greg

Here's a possible solution. Pull the left side plastic off. You'll need to remove the plastic with the three connectors and the little black triangle piece. You'll notice an electrical connector there. You need to coax the connector open with some gentle use of a small screwdriver, knife, pick, etc. Once it's open take some WD 40 and spray into the female side of the connector. Snap the electical connector together and give it a try. There is a recall on GS's that indicates that for some models moisture gets into the connector and shorts it out, causing the fuel pump to act erratic or not work at all. It's pretty amazing how a little shot of WD 40 let's it crank up and run. If it doesn't work it really didn't cost much but about five minutes of your time. Then, I recommend taking it to Marty's house and plugging it with the Glock. cool.gif

Mike

Thank you for all the suggestions, I went out and checked all the connections, and cables. Everything seemd o-kay. I jumped the bike off and It fired right up. So off to the dealer in the AM for a new battery. Marty you know I dont like Glocks only people that like yellow/white bikes use Glocks. Not a bad idea though smirk.gif

Hi, glad you got it started. Some of the symptoms you have experienced can be caused by having one of the throttle body control cables pulled up and out of it's little adjuster cup on the body. This can easily happen when the tank is removed and you don't think you have caused any problems.

Archived