IGNORED

R1100RT Fuel Tank Capacity

BlueRidgeBoy

Has anyone ever filled a completely empty R1100RT fuel tank? If so, how much did it hold? Or, what is the most that anyone has ever put in a tank?

The reason that I ask is that my previous bike, 1987 R65 (monoshock), held one gallon less than the published specification (4.8 vs. 5.8).

My 1998 R1100RT manual says it holds 7.25 (that's a range of 290 miles at 40 mpg). So far my maximum fill was 6.9 gallons.

Jerry Johnston

A couple of years ago when I put in a new fuel filter, I put in 2 gal of gas after fuel filter change, drove six blocks to the gas station and put in 5.353 gal more for total of 7.35 gal - minus what it took to start and drive six blocks. Total capactiy isn't everything since you can't get it all burned out and shouldn't leave the fuel pump without any gas to cool the pump. I'd only do it in an emergency. My normal range is about 240 miles befoe I fill up but have gone over 300 miles at high altitude and slow pace.

The stated capacity is about right or perhaps a little low, I ran mine out of gas pushed it across the street and put in 7.4 gals. In commute mode, where I'm never far from a station and my mileage stays pretty consistant, I regular put 7+ gallons in when I fill up.

The official IBA capacity is 7.26 gallons, but some of that is unusable - there's some gas that hangs out in the left lobe of the tank, and some in the bottom of the right lobe that doesn't get picked up. I've put 7.1-something gallons in a tank that wasn't quite bone-dry. I wouldn't count on having anything more than 7 gallons - the capacity varies by about 0.2 gallons depending on whether you fill it on the sidestand or centerstand, and how patient you are filling it. Plus, when you get down to the bottom fo the tank, you're likely to start picking up water and gunk that's collected in the bottom. Plus gas pumps aren't always as well calibrated as you might expect.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived