IGNORED

Replaced my R with a K

JayW

may11k1200rs030.jpg

My 2005 R1200RT was totalled in a crash and I am now well enough to ride again. I decided to try a different flavor of BMW. I found this like-new 2003 RS in Atlanta for a bargain price. It had only 2825 miles on it when I picked it up and has never even been wet. Those are the original Metzler MEZ4 tires (never heard of 'em!). The seller included color-matched side cases, his BMW riding gear, 2 helmets, gloves, backrest, tank bag and a GPS at no extra charge. I have yet to put a thousand miles on it, but love the drivetrain. Ultra smooth and powerful!

It seems that this version of the K bike doesn't have a strong following on this site. I changed the oil first thing, but haven't done much else to it yet. I am not too familiar with the K bike mechanicals, and I wonder if I'll have to look elsewhere on the web for technical support.

Here's one more:

may11k1200rs033.jpg

Jay

beemerman2k

I never rode this bike because from what I heard it rides so fast and smooth that you never forget the experience. Since I couldn't afford one, I avoided it like the plague! Just better that I don't know what I'm missing.

But those MEZ4's were my favorite tires to put on my RT, and I was so upset when they discontinued them for the MEZ6's that replaced them. The 4's were sticky enough for me, yet lasted a good long time. The 6's are even stickier, but don't last as long as the 4's did.

That's a beautiful bike you got there :thumbsup:

SailorJean

If you are looking for Forums that are fairly active and more specific to the K1200RS, then you should have a look at:

www.i-bmw.com and www.k-bikes.com

They both have a section for what is known as the "K1200 classic" or the "K1200 brick", in opposition to the new "slant 4" engine of the K1200S.

My goal is not to turn you away from this great community, but to give you more resources.

The Z4 has been discontinued quite a long time ago, replaced by the Z6. If I was you, I would check for the production WEEK-YEAR on the side of each tire - like “1209” where 12 is the week number within the year (01-52) and 09 is the last 2 digits of the year (in this case 2009).

If the bike has not been ridden much, you could be riding on 7 years old rubber - not recommended !

Jay,

My GT is an '03, I got in '05, a similar deal, no miles on it.

I've only put about 75k more on it as my riding time has been reduced the past two years.

I rode boxers from '68 until '05.

This K series is a great ride.

Few issues.

I did have a rear seal go at 60k but that is it.

Takes different effort in the twisties than the boxer but a good rider can go very fast.

Built for sweepers it has an excellent tranny and is very smooooth.

Unlike the "new" K12/13's you can almost run it like an automatic pulling low rpm's in higher gears,but the converse is also true (you can roll thru a small town in 2nd and then exit ending up going waaay to fast without shifting).

Plenty of aftermarket goodies available.

K riders are around here, we just don't seem to have the number of wrenching issues the boxers do.

Adjusted 1 valve in 75k miles.

GET NEW TIRES!

You can go over to other board and check the tire forum if you want .02's.

A few tricks on tupperware w/hidden screws Pirate's has products and a "how to" section at the website that covers a bunch of stuff.

Alpine/Orient combo you have is beautiful.

I'm no expert, you'll get better wisdom from others (Dennis on this board is one), but feel free to ask.

ENJOY!

:wave:

Matts_12GS
Love the paint scheme. Bravo :thumbsup:

Yep, I have always loved the KRS in that color combo. She's a beauty Jay, I'll trade you the GS for her for a day at the UN!

In my opinion this series of K bikes were the best bikes BMW ever made. Beautiful design, incredibly smooth, very fast, pretty good handling although they need a firm push, and very durable. Only downsides were the small gas tank and the left saddlebag cut out for the muffler.

Hope you get many smiles from it.

Nice :thumbsup:

Just don't forget to shift. They run so smooooth that if your not paying attention you can easily run it up to the rev limiter.

That said, they do tend to be a bit rough between 4.2-4.8k or so. Some do, some don't. Nothing to worry about.

There was a recall on the ECU as it would in some cases cause hesitation off idle while cold. Might keep that in mind.

Good info here and here.

If you have the older ECU (#166..... I think) there is a member over at K bikes that sells chip to reprogram it for @$50.

Since we do a bit of two up touring I added the touring lids increasing the storage capacity of both saddlebags.

Thanks for the helpful links and comments. Compared to the RT, I have found the RS to be smoother, faster, less comfortable in terms of body position, have less wind protection, less range, is about 5 mpg less efficient, is better looking, and more difficult to turn in a tight circle. The gearbox is a model of ease and refinement. The biggest gripe I have so far is the small grip and stiff throttle return spring. My hand starts cramping after just a short time throttling up and down in the twisties (my still-healing right hand is no doubt part of the problem here). For me the reach forward is also a bit far for long-ride comfort.

I'll throw out a few questions in case anyone has any insights on any of these:

1. I am not sure what services to perform at this point, given its age but low mileage. I'll change out all the fluids, including the servo brake fluid, but what about adjusting the valves? I am tempted to just wait until it gets to 12,000 miles.

2. What is the best aftermarket product to get the grips closer to me? I already have them as far back as they will go.

3. The manual calls for Castrol EPX GL 5 hypoid 90 weight oil in the transmission and FD. This does not seem to exist. Just use brand name synthetic 75W-90?

4. Can I still easily remove the front wheel without using an auxilliary stand as recommended in the manual?

5. Has anybody ever seen this on a rear wheel?

may11k1200rs025.jpg

I presume it is aftermarket and should just pry off. I have done some gentle prying and no joy so far. Pry harder?

6. I need to permanently install my Zumo 550. The bike came with a Street Pilot 3 ColorMap wired in already, but it is nonswitched. if I use that then I'll no doubt drain the battery at some point by forgetting to turn it off. I also want to be able to use the fuel range feature of the Zumo. Does the RS have a switched connector somewhere for a GPS or other accessories? If so, where is it and what cable do I need to tap into it for a Zumo?

7. Lastly, is a laminar lip the only way to improve wind protection for those long days in the saddle? I don't really like the way they look.

The tires do have a date code from 2003 so new ones are a high priority.

Thanks!

Jay

Jay,

How tall are you?

I just added a Laminar Lip to my stock screen (the RS's touring screen).

I ususally run the stock RS screen, use the low Z Tech one in hot weather just if I want a lot of airflow.

At my height the lip helps a good bit.

Used "touring" screens (stock GT) are out there to add a lip to.

Valves?

If you must, check 'em, but not much chance they need adjusting.

The RS has narrower grips than the GT does.

Maybe add some foam grips that just slide on like the grip pups?

When you do the brakes, look for inner reservoir.

K1200 RS how to

Bar backs/risers, Run-n-lites, Lite buddies, and more found here

SailorJean

I am glad you like the K1200RS.

I am not surprised that you find it less comfortable than a R1150RT or an R1200R. The ergonomics were designed by a German guy having long gorilla arms, and fairly short legs :-)

Seriously, it is more on the sport side of the Sport-touring envelope and they had a long wheelbase constraints because of the sideway power-plant length.

The 2 web sites I gave you earlier should answer most of your questions just by using the "Search" facility - 95% of any possible questions on the K1200RS have already been asked during the last 9 years - but sometimes you feel like looking for a needle in a haystack... In such case, just open a new thread and ask.

I will quickly give you a hint about raising the font of the bike to remove the front wheel. Follow the manual to remove the black engine spoiler, then use a small jack with a piece of wood between the jack and the bottom of the engine where the oil filter cover is located (a scissor jack from most small car will work well)

Dennis Andress

Sweet looking bike! The big K takes a bit of learning before you master it. The riding position works very well, once you learn the bike. A lot of people who installed bar backs wound up taking them off. Master Yoda's Riding Position will guide you well. Make a place in your budget for a set of Ohlins, they make a big difference for this bike.

i-bmw.com and k-bikes.com are the best places to go for help. Yet, my wife and I rode and wrenched two RS's for several years and many, many, miles. I posted most everything I learned in this forum. Try searching for my name. Or, just post a question, I'll try to answer when time permits.

That hub cap thing on the back wheel is probably held on by magnets stuck to the rear wheel bolts. At least the one I had did. Try prying it off with a piece of soft wood.

My RS seemed to shift better when I used Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil.

You need to remove the bottom part of the fairing to place a jack under the front of the engine and lift the front wheel off the ground. It helps to put the piece of 1x6 under the centerstand.

Your mileage may vary, but it's been my experience that seals and O'Rings dry out and leak with time, not miles. Be alert for signs of the rear main seal leaking, which was common on these bikes. There are O'Rings between the intake tubes and the head that I would plan on changing just for GP's. (Taking the throttle bodies off is a PITA...) At the front of the engine is the cam chain cover. These would often seep a little oil.

All that said, The bike should be good to go, for the summer at least, with nothing more than changing the oils and tires.

Jay, that is a sweet looking ride!

That rear wheel accessory is aftermarket from Wunderlich. It originally came with a decorative cotter pin. To remove it, put a pin of some sort in the holes to hold it from turning and back off the blue nut. The unit will pull off. Tightening the nut expands a rubber gizmo inside of the hub to hold it on.

Great bike, great find.

Just FYI.. I found a similar bike. First owner got it in June 03, rode it 6800 miles till the next summer. Second owner from July 04 till October 08, rode it 900 miles.

Towards the end of that time the rear main seal leaked and he replaced it and the clutch. So I bought it with about 7800 miles on it. It is now at 78,000 and not any real problems with it at all. Just FYI that your seals MAY need some attention from lack of use.

MY ECU/CPU is the 166. The only problem I had was some surging when going down hill while still having some slight throttle on at about 45-50 mph. The idle would sometimes hunt around between 1100, drop to 950 and then back to 1100. My gas mileage was 35.8- 39.9. It never had any real problems from that. I put in a rhinewest chip. Idle steady now, surging greatly diminished, gas mileage 37.5-42

Replace the tires ASAP

Metzler z6s, good tire, about 10,000 miles for the set. Give the bike a solid feel but also present the pull to the right effect. Great straight line stability but steering a little heavy.

Michelin Pilot Roads 2ct. Made the bike run pretty straight without the pull. Profile made the bike fall into low speed turns. Easy easy tire to live with. Straight line stability a little less as the front will wander around on the slab just a bit with crosswinds. I liked these tires better than the Metz. The front will wear a funny little pattern by about 4000 and will hum just a little when slightly off vertical. This doesn't affect ride. Again about 10,000 miles for the set

Dunlop Roadsmarts. I tried these as my winter tires as my absolute favorite tire for my RS is the Dunlop Q2s. Dunlop said not to run the q2s as my winter tire (below 50 degrees). I am pleased. The front wore out at about 7500 miles, the rear has 9000 on it and will go about another 1000 I think. I will run these again next winter I think but run the front with a bit more air. Nice neutral feel to them. The rear has worn Absolutely great as far as profile for a tire near the end of its life.

Dunlop Q2s. Great tires, The bike feels so different with these tires on. Really neutral waiting for rider input. I have a set waiting for the roadsmarts to finish wearing out and then will use them and (the down side) another set by next winter and most likely go back to the Roadsmarts. Can just squeak out 6000 miles out of these. A set cost right at 200. The pull to the right is more than the Michelins but far from the Metzlers. Still these are my FAVORITES hands down.

As for the pull to the right.

I put my daily things, (rainsuit, small pump, a few tools, lunch, drink etc in the LEFT bag, the right one is generally about empty. This balances the bike and the drift right is pretty gone. In packing for a trip, I will put the densest/heaviest things in the LEFT bag as well.

It isn't an RT. Riding it takes you putting your body to the inside before before a curve and the bike will follow. Just move your torso over your inside thigh and look over the mirror should do it. If you stay center line like you can do with the RT, the RS will want to stand back up in the corner. You then push it down and it curves but the pegs will drag far to quick. So try dancing with the bike by leading it with your upper body and a slight slip of the cheek to the inside.

The wind protection is different. Accept it as different for now. The bike is great, just different. Learn it and ride it for a season before you start to make changes. Play with the foot pegs and bars. I have moved mine bars forward and the pegs back. I find that it is a nice alternative to put feet on rear pegs as well. There is some buzziness in the bars at certain RPMs, In moving the bars to different positions you will also find you effect that buzzy feel.

Use the cruise control. It is great and addictive.

check out i-bmw and k-bikes for good tips and rider support.

This is a very VERY versatile fun and dependable bike

NCS

Februray 09 Camping trip, Brevard NC Camping / sport TOURING

dscf3239a.jpg

Spring ride Judaculla Rock off NC 107, April 09 camping/sport touring

imgp0067q.jpg

Chasing some GSs in WV, June 10 camping / sport TOURING

copyofimgp1238.jpg

Along NC 281 near NC107 August 10 camping /SPORT touring

imgp2196a.jpg

at VIR July 10 SPORT

img6439l.jpg

Own an 08 RT and been riding an 01 K-RS lately. Not at all alike. I much prefer the RS handling- it is more stable in fast sweepers than an RT and takes less climbing around the bike. A bit of lead with the upper body does most stuff very nicely. Little wind protection so am evaluating a V Stream windscreen. Riding position takes some getting used to- the MYRP is the way to address it and so far I've left the bars alone. The one I'm riding has some changed shifter parts- maybe Verholen?- and shifts better than an RT. Runs on Pilot Powers that work OK for me.

Power is of course no comparison- the K will walk away from an R on pavement with no effort needed. The smoothness and broad power band is quite nice but you pay for it when servicing the thing- its a nuisance by RT stds.

I tend to look at the RS as a great day play bike and the RT as my longer distance machine. Like the colors on yours better than others....

Calvin  (no socks)

Jay, the K bikes have lurkers here...

I have had several... and love my 05" Beta K12s.. 50k miles and almost 6k last week at warp speed......

Maint consists of...Ride, change oil, tires...ride...change oil...ride...change oil, tires....ride....

Calvin,

Can't believe you forgot a major tech day K bike ritual.

Check the tire pressures.

:wave:

W. Mazelin

Looks good Jay; back in '02, the K-1200-RS lost out to the R-1150-GS that I still have by the narrowest of margins. I really enjoyed the test ride I took on the K.

Archived