IGNORED

R1200RT + Sidecase vs max speed

duckboy

i know my R12RT manual states a max speed w/ sidecases mounted to be ~80 mph (can't remember exact #), but, i wanted to take a survey of what speed some of my fellow R12RT owners have run their R12RT's up to w/o any structural deformation/damage to their sidecases. :)

i personally have gone up to 90mph for short periods w/o any problems.

thanks for your help.

duckboy

:grin: 80 mph, eh? You have two sidecases, so I reckon it's good for 160 mph!!! :rofl::thumbsup:

I've seen a sustained 100+ mph on the German autobahn, two-up, fully laden, tank bag, sidecases and large topbox. But don't take this as a recommendation :dopeslap:

Afternoon duckboy

Well that depends on if it is GPS measured or speedometer measured.

Short bursts to 130+ with side cases & top case and 90-100 sustained for a substantial time frame.

I can’t tell much difference with the side cases on of off but I can definitely tell the top case is on in high side winds at speed.

hahaha, thanks, everyone!! don't know why the manual states such a low speed w/ the sidecases. can't see how those germans on the autobahn could keep it under 80!!

thanks, again!! best forum ever!!

duckboy

hahaha, thanks, everyone!! don't know why the manual states such a low speed w/ the sidecases. can't see how those germans on the autobahn could keep it under 80!!

thanks, again!! best forum ever!!

duckboy

Its called C-Y-A (Cover Your Ass) because BMW doesn't want ANY responsibility for any damage to you, your bike, or any other vehicle or person that MAY get smacked by flying luggage. They probably feel pretty sure the cases will remain ON the bike at 80.

Having put that warning in the manual, anything that occurs above their arbitrarily imposed speed limit becomes YOUR problem, not theirs.

Kind of goes hand in hand with the very low weight capacities of the cases too. Same issue.

Those Krafty Krauts!!

CoarsegoldKid

133 mph according to Garmin. I won't say where and I won't say next to whom. But we only traveled about a couple of miles before shutting down. Sustained over 100mph for miles and miles and miles. No damage to the bike or sidecases.

233.35 Km/hr

w/extra large touring cases, top case.

Everything was there when we stopped.

Not an RT but same system cases.

Den Hieperboree

My 2008 R1200RT Rider Manual states 180 km/h in combination with the side cases and/or top case. Did 170 km/h today with side cases and passenger, no problem at all.

Den Hieperboree

Keep going faster until one of them falls off. Then let the rest of us know how fast you were going, so we can avoid the problem... ;)

2 side cases, one Givi top case and a large duffel bag on the pass seat hanging over the side cases along with tent poles and hiking poles sticking out.

We were heading home from a week long camping at Bigbend Nat. park in Texas.

A long flat straight road ahead of us, we could see at least 2 miles ahead, no traffic.

Throttle cranked WOT, windscreen all the way down, me laying flat on the tankbag. Got up to 135 indicated and it flat lined. The bike felt stable just as at any other speed. My mind and body was not, kept thinking about the consequences of "what if". We slowed down to close to speed limit.

I hope the side cases stayed on because of the great German engineering and not because the duffel bag was holding it down:)

Archived