IGNORED

mann oil filter

sloride

No. According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a manufacturer cannot require you to use a particular brand of oil filter, air filter, or any other maintenance item unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge.

Will using a Mann oil filter void BMW warranty?

Morning sloride

It could, depends on (IF) the filter you use is or isn’t specified for use on the motorcycle you want to use it on.

You didn’t mention the motorcycle you want to put the Mann filter on but as long as the manufacturer of Mann filter has a listing showing it is OK to use on your motorcycle make/model then you have a chance in a court case if you need to take BMW to court because they deny your warranty claim. Unless the failed oil filter is the cause of the warranty claim.

If the Mann filter is specified for use on your motorcycle make/model, and you are in the United States, then the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act does give you some protection if you have to take the motorcycle manufacturer to court because they deny your warranty claim. The bad part here is: BMW can easily deny your warranty claim then it is up to YOU to take them to court to prove you are entitled to warranty coverage.

In my eyes it just isn’t worth the possible problems to use a non BMW oil filter during the warranty period. You could be in the right but it might cost you big money and time up front to prove you are in the right.

One way around it is to just buy a BMW oil filter at the correct time (so you have the proper records to show for service time) then use what ever filter you want. If you have warranty issues later just screw that filter on before having the bike towed to the dealer (or before taking it in)

If you can find it in the archives there was a thread (maybe a year or two back) that a gentleman had a denied warranty claim because of a non OEM filter. Not sure how it eventually came out but he went through deal and last I knew BMW still denied his warranty claim.

Jerry Duke

I'm with D.R. 100%. If the bike is under warranty don't give BMW any reason to deny your claim. How much are you going to save with the aftermarket filter?

Once it's out of warranty, have at it, but BMW isn't known for going out of their way to pay even justified claims.

Sorry about omitting the bike model. It's a 2008 R1200RT. Just picked it up in Ft Lauderdale and drove back to Kentucky (1000 miles) The bike ran great . It was a first BMW experience and it was all positive. It had 8500 on the odometer. and now 9500 and needs an oil change.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll just go ahead and order the BMW filters and crush washers.

Beemerboneyard has a good deal on the oil change kit, and they are great to deal with. They use the Mann filter, supply the crush washers,and you can by the wrench you'll be needing for the filter.

Sorry about omitting the bike model. It's a 2008 R1200RT. Just picked it up in Ft Lauderdale and drove back to Kentucky (1000 miles) The bike ran great . It was a first BMW experience and it was all positive. It had 8500 on the odometer. and now 9500 and needs an oil change.

Thanks for the advice.

It shouldn't need an oil change until 12000 miles.

You're correct 12000 miles it is. I'm confused about these maintenance schedule.

Thanks for the advice.

Dave_zoom_zoom
FWIW

Mann consistently builds one of the best filters I ever tested.

Hi Grumpy

What can you tell me about WIX?

Thanks

Dave

Does anyone know who the oil filter supplier to BMW is? It may well be Mann. The original filter cartridge on the Mercedes diesel in my wife's Jeep was made by Mann. When I replaced it with a Mann filter, the only difference was that the new filter had a Mann part number rather than the original filter's Mercedes part number...they both said "Mann" on them. The same is true of my VWs. After all, BMW is buying their filters from somebody. Why not Mann?

Grumpy-ol-Fart

Original equip, Mann & Hummel...Wix Filters aren't too bad; structurally good, not as efficient a media as OE. I use a Purolator Pure1.

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago, when WIX was using bulk fiber media stuffed into their filters (are they still?), the SAE conducted a comprehensive test of the then-available filter media. They found that the WIX media would tend to form open "channels" through which oil could pass relatively un-filtered. Ever since reading that, I've been afraid of using anything other than paper media...

CoarsegoldKid
... Purolator Pure1.

Purolator doesn't list the R1200RT or any other hexhead in their application chart. So maybe the legal BS would be applicable. I use either the Mann or OEM they are about the same cost and my dealer will send them to me at no extra cost.

Years ago, when WIX was using bulk fiber media stuffed into their filters (are they still?), the SAE conducted a comprehensive test of the then-available filter media. They found that the WIX media would tend to form open "channels" through which oil could pass relatively un-filtered. Ever since reading that, I've been afraid of using anything other than paper media...

AFAIK, Wix quit that quite some time ago. I, too, stayed away from them at the time. I've read filter comparison tests over the past few years that claim that Wix is now one of the better quality filters manufactured. They're on my list (not necessarily for my bike, but my other stuff) incl Champion (makers for several good quality name brands), Purolator, Motorcraft, Delco, Mobil 1, STP, Bosch, and probly a couple others I can't think of right now.

for the bike, however, it's "a much narrower" list. oem, Mann, Bosch maybe. Not so much because of filter build quality but to

be sure to get the correct relief valve parameters.

Don_Eilenberger

Thanks for the advice.

That really depends on when the last change was done.. the change interval is 6,000 miles, so you'd have to assume the oil wasn't changed earlier then 6,000 miles on the odo.

Archived