IGNORED

Couple questions

BrianM

Just got a 2011 R1200RT.

I am putting on a fuse box. Looking for switched power. There is a relay (starter?) next to the diagnostic plug. The yellow with black wire seems to be a switched wire. Is this the correct one to use on the relay? Would prefer to tap in at the relay than to run a wire up to the headlight/parking light.

Does anyone have the part number for the plug that goes into the GPS plug?

Thanks

Morning Brian

On using the starter relay (high) side wire to power your aux fuse box. Some do use that wire with acceptable results. It doesn’t drop low while cranking so the fuse box load will stay on in addition to the starter load while cold cranking. There is also a green wire going into the diagnostic plug that some use (I believe it stays powered while cranking also)—In either case -- IF you use either of the above connections be sure to use a voltage spike protected relay or at least add a clamping resistor or diode across the relay pull-in coil circuit to prevent the relay’s high voltage shutdown spike from traveling back into the BMS-K fueling computer as both the above circuits are powered from a driver inside the BMS-K fueling computer.

A better connection is to use the headlight low beam circuit as that drops low during engine cranking as well as the headlight itself acts like a clamping resistor during relay shut-down.

Not sure on the newer bikes like the 2011 but I believe the older 1200RT’s used repair plug, 3-pin 83 30 0 413 585 for the GPS (About $25.00). If you are adding an aux fuse box why not power your GPS from that?

I used the yellow and black wire from the starter relay and have had no problems. I did use a diode in the trigger wire to the fuse block. I just soldered the trip wire to the the Y/B wire. (if you take two screws out you can get to the back of the connector)

Steve

Morning Brian

On using the starter relay (high) side wire to power your aux fuse box. Some do use that wire with acceptable results. It doesn’t drop low while cranking so the fuse box load will stay on in addition to the starter load while cold cranking. There is also a green wire going into the diagnostic plug that some use (I believe it stays powered while cranking also)—In either case -- IF you use either of the above connections be sure to use a voltage spike protected relay or at least add a clamping resistor or diode across the relay pull-in coil circuit to prevent the relay’s high voltage shutdown spike from traveling back into the BMS-K fueling computer as both the above circuits are powered from a driver inside the BMS-K fueling computer.

A better connection is to use the headlight low beam circuit as that drops low during engine cranking as well as the headlight itself acts like a clamping resistor during relay shut-down.

Not sure on the newer bikes like the 2011 but I believe the older 1200RT’s used repair plug, 3-pin 83 30 0 413 585 for the GPS (About $25.00). If you are adding an aux fuse box why not power your GPS from that?

I am using a Fuzeblock which has diode protection.

I was thinking of using the GPS plug to run my radar detector. Need that up and running before the other stuff :)

I used the yellow and black wire from the starter relay and have had no problems. I did use a diode in the trigger wire to the fuse block. I just soldered the trip wire to the the Y/B wire. (if you take two screws out you can get to the back of the connector)

Steve

That was the wire I was looking at.

Archived