IGNORED

What's a good price for a new, leftover '09 FJR?

Willie

I realize that this isn't the FJR forum, but lots here seem to have a firm grasp on the motorcycle market and how to buy bikes. I don't though. Looking to replace my RT and I have a few different bikes that I'm looking at. A local dealer has a leftover '09 black FJR. Price on the site is $13,990. I think that's crazy and probably not what they would take, but that's the asking. a quick browsing of the FJR forums puts value at maybe $11k. That sound about right? I'm planning on trading my '02 RT. How can I work a deal on trying to get the asking price down while not getting hosed on my RT?

Willie-- give some thought to arranging your own financing through a credit union or your bank. Not the 1.9 group that blasts you if you are 1 day late on your payment! Then clean up your RT and place a ad on Craigslist and eBay. During this time period check the internet daily for a like new used FJR from a private party. Dealers during this economy are trying to make the maximum amount on used and specials(leftovers). They will overcharge you if you let them. It seems like someone always says at this point:" You must support your local dealer so they will stay open to provide service for your bike" I read that as meaning so they can overcharge you on service too! Find a good local tech who wants your business. OK I am stepping down off the soapbox for now. Good luck with your search. Bob

Witch_Doctor

The Yamaha dealers will most likely just want to move it, since it is 2 year old NOS bike sitting in the showroom. I know the Yamaha dealer here has an 07' and an 09' sitting in his showroom deeply discounted.

I'd use my home equity, so it's just a matter of me writing a check. I'm trading for convenience sake and to use the trade value to knock down the tax. I stripped off all my extras, so I can get $6-800 for that stuff late, I hope. Dealer wouldn't give me crap for it anyway and selling outright I'd omly have to include it to sweeten the deal. Not dead set on the FJR, but if they want to deal, that would be a different story. The Tiger 800 is really in my sights, but have to see who wants to sell me a bike the most.

Willie-- lets say your bike is worth $6,750 with all the goodies. If the condition is excellent and the miles are not too high, you should sell it within a month.That money backed up by your equity cash will give you a very good bargaining position. The dealer will normally ask $1000 more for a high end brand than a private party. And you will normally get a better idea of the bikes history from the original owner.

In Florida the sales tax is based on the full purchase price. Maybe your state is different. Check that out.

Bob,

I believe that in Florida the value of the trade is deducted so the buyer pays tax on the difference.

Tim-- thanks for clearing that up. I have always paid cash for my bikes. Sorry Willie on misleading you.

johnhunter44

I was in greenwood, SC, today, and Performance Cycle has a new leftover 2009 Connie for $9995.00. Sounded like a great price to me, but I love my RT.

I realize that this isn't the FJR forum, but lots here seem to have a firm grasp on the motorcycle market and how to buy bikes. I don't though. Looking to replace my RT and I have a few different bikes that I'm looking at. A local dealer has a leftover '09 black FJR. Price on the site is $13,990. I think that's crazy and probably not what they would take, but that's the asking. a quick browsing of the FJR forums puts value at maybe $11k. That sound about right? I'm planning on trading my '02 RT. How can I work a deal on trying to get the asking price down while not getting hosed on my RT?

According to NADA low retail is $9600, high retail is $12500. Your bike's trade-in is about $4400, retail is $6000.

Kelly Blue book is in the neighborhood with $11000 for the FJR, and 4650 trade and 6600 retail for your RT.

IF (big if) I wanted to trade my RT for an FJR...

I would sell the RT privately. Line up financing, and offer $11500 + TT&L for the FJR. The asvings in taxes are negligible in comparison to the difference between expected trade-in VS retail. I don't know what is the rate of sales tax in PA, but can't be over 6-7%? That's $250-300 savings VS $1000-1500 extra revenue when selling outright.

Good luck with your decision.

I think I talked myself out of the FJR already anyway. I might be trying to work a deal on a Tiger 800 this weekend. I realize that selling privately is always better moneywise, but I think I'd sooner see a dealer get the RT...

Good luck and happy trails either way you go.

Let us know what you end up getting, and remember that w/o pics it didn't happen.

Archived