IGNORED

A live to tell it

murrayg

Yesterday at 7:00 pm I was in an accident with a car. The quick summary, no blood lost, no broken bones and no concussion. I was traveling north in the right lane on Walton Blvd. in Bentonville, Ar. I was 7 miles from my home. The cage driver was on my right. I have not gone back to the scene yet, but I estimate that I was 25 feet away from her when she started pulling out to make a left turn in front of me. I get on the horn, swerve left and get on the brakes. She keeps coming out and I hit her Jeep Compass just behind the front driver's wheel. I also have not yet seen the bike, but a policeman said the bike is totaled. I keep replaying the accident to see if I could avoided her. Thank God I'm here to report in. I was in my one piece First Gear Solo riding suit and in my Schuberth helmet. Be well, have fun and watch out for our cage friends.

Hey Murrayg

Very happy to hear that you're OK. Sorry about your bike, but that'll be replaced by the cager's insurance company.

She DID have insurance right?

Your situation is one I've thought long and hard about with inconclusive results.

Apparently in that situation you can make one of 3 assumptions, all of which can be wrong.

1) do you just hit the binders without turning, assuming you can stop in time?

2) do you swerve IN the direction the car is travelling assuming it will see you and STOP to let you by the front of it?

or

3) do you swerve to go around the BACK of the car assuming it will NOT stop and give you more opening behind it?

Three very tough choices, ONE of which HAS to be made in a split second with no recourse once made.

Keep us informed as to the outcome here and what new shiny bike you end up with!

Regards

Bernd

szurszewski

It's different on a bike because of our increased mobility, increased ability to accelerate, and decreased ability to smash into things and not be harmed, but, in general traffic safety terms, the general rule is to steer to the rear/steer to the area the vehicle WAS occupying - not the area the vehicle WILL BE occupying. Two reasons for this: if they continue on their path totally or even just somewhat, (say, you honk and they then hear and see you, they will still move forward while perceiving, reacting, and then actually stopping) they are creating space behind them and removing space in front; if they do stop immediately or almost immediately, the back of most vehicles is lighter than the front and will thus slow you down more gradually (not sure how much of difference this would make to us on a bike).

Please understand, I'm not evaluating your reaction in this particular situation - just providing some general thoughts. As stated above, the important thing is that you're ok and it sounds like all parties are ok - and hopefully the driver has good insurance.

ride safely,

josh

Sounds like the Compass pulled out of a driveway or side street and violated your right of way.

Watch out during the claims process, Compass driver will try to claim you were speeding to avoid accepting responsibility and shifting responsibility to you.

Prevention has to with predicting the unexpected and having a plan ready if the unexpected happens. I ride with a high visual scan of potential threats. I would have predicted the Compass pulling out in front of me due to the lack of eye contact from the driver. I would have slowed, covered both brakes, flashed my visual horn.

I would have been ready for the binders or dive right to avoid the collision.

Wow. Glad to hear you are Ok. I look forward to the post accident analysis so we can all benefit from your unfortunate experience.

I think you didn't do too bad. You got slowed down enough you didn't get hurt.

I always drag my breaks through every intersection and when I see a car pulling out of a driveway or side street. I figure it helps me get on the brakes faster if someone pulls out.

Just got back from the accident scene. I can honestly say I'm glad I can participate in this discussion with y'all (a southern term for you all :grin:). Now for the rest of the story. The police ticked the compass driver. At my last glance I was doing 40 mph on a road marked 45mph. This is a road I ride wearily because it has a lot of traffic, a turning lane and parking lot entrances. I was in the left track of the right lane. It appeared to me that when the compass started pulling out that my lane was blocked and my best alternative was to the left. I slowed and swerved left she kept coming and boom. I'll try and post pictures of the bike. I'm no claims adjuster, but I think it's totaled as a function of age 1997, miles 99,270 and condition smacked to pieces front forks bent, front plastic and light smashed.

I had slowed down because I wasn't sure the driver had me, but at the close proximity she pulled out and our collective speed I don't see that I had much choice but to go left.

Now for the eqipment report. My riding suit(firstgear solo one piece) did not tear and only shows a little rash on both knees and right shoulder (there goes my 90 mph fast ball). The helmet shows battle scars, but not totally scary. One shield fastener broke (schuberth). Boots do show any damage (alpinestars).

When people would say you have to ride like they don't see you, I always respond with, sooner or later they have to see you for you to be ok and that's how I feel about this. Given greater distance and slower speed maybe I could have come to a stop. It has happen before. Might have been able to get all the way around on the right. That has happened when my wife was two up with me. In this case not enough distance. I don't know if I've helped the collective, but here is hoping and praying that you won't have to do a post accident report. :thumbsup:

I can not say how many times I make eye contact and they look right thru me and pull out anyway. I cover brakes, slow if I can but in Bentonville traffic, that often is not possible. There is a point of no return, where if they pull out after it, there will be a crash. That always bothers me.

Glad you are OK. It is like airplane landings, any that you can walk away from is a good one.

What kind of bike was it and what are you thinking about for the next one?

Rod

The bike is/was a 1997 R1100RT. Don't have a clue about the next bike yet. Was out of work for a year, still recovering now having been employed a year. When you're out of work you eat up a lot of resources. Not sure what I'm going to do about two wheels. Been riding since 1984 and know that I will miss it.

It is a shame that riding a bigger bike costs more per mile than a good economical cage. Sometimes I remember the joy i felt riding a old honda 100CC and i wonder if it is possible to get that joy again.

Probably not but then i think maybe a 250 would be better, or maybe a 600 or a ..... '

Good luck and hope you keep working and get the kind of motorcycle you need for that smile.

When you do please post here and share the joy

Rod

The bike is/was a 1997 R1100RT. Don't have a clue about the next bike yet. Was out of work for a year, still recovering now having been employed a year. When you're out of work you eat up a lot of resources. Not sure what I'm going to do about two wheels. Been riding since 1984 and know that I will miss it.

I would reckon the insurance will settle and offer about $3500 for the RT. Since you were injured, expect the insurance to offer you considerably more for that issue. Could add up to a nice bike.

Patallaire

Murray:

You old dog, you can not be doing that, thank god you are ok and can tell us this story. It is only a bike, but you would be irreplacable!

Don't forget to add all your gear into your claim. Your helmet is fubar, just by nature of sustaining an impact. The rest of your gear is damaged, whether you replace it or not. Get prices for the equivalent new stuff. Good Luck!.

Lineareagle

I've been trying to break the horn habit.

One - its wasting braking time.

Two - your left hand is compromised for maneuvers.

Three - stereos, kids, phones and AC all contribute to cage noise so they probably won't hear me anyways.

It is a tough habit to break, but I think, necessary.

Really glad you walked away, hope a nice bike is in the future.

Nice n Easy Rider
I've been trying to break the horn habit.

One - its wasting braking time.

Two - your left hand is compromised for maneuvers.

Three - stereos, kids, phones and AC all contribute to cage noise so they probably won't hear me anyways.

It is a tough habit to break, but I think, necessary.

Really glad you walked away, hope a nice bike is in the future.

Agreed. The few times I've gone for the horn I've usually had to fumble around to find it. I'm sure that my time will be better spent on plotting/executing whatever maneuvers the situation demands.

The only times I've been able to use the horn was when I could pre-plan my indignation. You know what I mean: I'll bet that idiot is going to move into my lane, turn in front of me, go straight from the turn lane. I'll just hang back and give him some horn if he does; maybe scare him off the phone.

For emergencies, I generally rely on screaming "Damn!" or "Shiiiiii!"

------

Thanks for the well wishes. A little update. My Doc thanks I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder and they told me I have a hairline fracture in my left hip. Considering my stunt riding I feel great. I feel a little sadness when I enter my garage and the bike is not there, but the one constant is change. Ride well you hoons, and think of us temporarily sidelined. :thumbsup:

I would have been ready for the binders or dive right to avoid the collision.

That's what I want to do but the pull of acceleration for avoidance strategy is strong. I'm too often fixated on the right grip when a little retarding is all that's needed to avoid the cage.

Murrayg,

You've inadvertantly attained a dubious distinction; crash club membership.

Praise the Lord, thank your lucky stars, it's the only the bike that's totaled.

IMHO Riding is like a video game; well, that's not right; too disrespectful to the danger. Combat control center is more like it. Actively tracking, in the mind's eye, every vehicle, person or thing is prerequisite to safe riding.

Some call it situational awareness; I think it's juggling. While a country road's easy with only one or two movers to track, urban roads present simultaneous potential threats. This outlook is the alpha and a response set to deal with all eventualities is the omega. Safe riding falls between.

Best wishes and celebrations on your walk away crash.

Wooster remembering crash's keening numb sound

Archived