IGNORED

rider hit by car and cager flees scene with rider on hood!

ryan_a1982

What's surprising? 25% of Ca drivers are uninsured and 15% are unlicensed. We live in a culture that condones the lack of personal responsibility. Some people do not accept responsibility for their actions.

Jerry in Monument
What's surprising? 25% of Ca drivers are uninsured and 15% are unlicensed. We live in a culture that condones the lack of personal responsibility. Some people do not accept responsibility for their actions.

Exactly. Let the state and taxpayers handle it.

This reminds me of the very sad story from a couple of years ago about some car hitting a guy, basically impaling him on the hood of her car and then the bitch drives home, puts the car in the garage WITH THE GUY STILL STUCK ON THE HOOD, closes the door and goes inside, while the guy sadly died what must have been a horrible death.

In my wildest nightmares I can not imagine what either of these poor victims must have been thinking.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Bob may have differing experience but, I never once took an accident report where a driver was an illegal unlicensed alien.

Except for that hot blonde from Venus.......

Witch_Doctor

Bob may have differing experience but, I never once took an accident report where a driver was an illegal unlicensed alien.

Except for that hot blonde from Venus.......

:rofl: Cuz they were hit and runs, but i have written plenty of traffic reports with unlicensed and uninsured drivers.

Penforhire

Peter, I notice your location is El Dorado Hills. Come nearer to Los Angeles or San Diego and you'll find the uninsured undocumented crisis. My last auto fender bender was from such a person who backed into me. Every time the local police run license/registration roadblock checks (too rare for my taste) they impound a lot of cars.

It was not my intention, although it can be implied, that some of the unlicensed drivers in Ca are illegal aliens. Was the hit and run driver in San Francisco undocumented? We don't know. The news article does not identify the driver who was arrested. Why he was not identified by the news agency may have political correctness reasons.

I mention it only because the usual motive for a hit and run is for being unlicensed, no insurance and/or DUI.

In regards to Penforhire lament that police driver's license checkpoints are all too rare, it would seem they will get even less frequent because of this policy.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/12/local/la-me-lapd-tow-20110312

Just curious. Does California require drivers to have insurance?

----

yes

But it is easy to game the system. You are only required to show proof of insurance when registering a car not when applying for and renewing your drivers license.

Most DMV offices have convenient insurance brokers right next door. Buy a policy, show your proof to DMV and then quit making premium payments a month later.

Only people who have assets to protect have insurance. If you don't have a pot to pee in, what's the incentive to buy insurance?

In North Carolina we have to have proof of insurance before renewing tag. Insurance company notifies State if policy is cancelled and they supposedly come looking for the tag and the car.

In spite of all that, we still have a portion of the population driving around with no or revoked driver's license and no insurance.

----

Just curious. Does California require drivers to have insurance?

----

yes

But it is easy to game the system. You are only required to show proof of insurance when registering a car not when applying for and renewing your drivers license.

Most DMV offices have convenient insurance brokers right next door. Buy a policy, show your proof to DMV and then quit making premium payments a month later.

Only people who have assets to protect have insurance. If you don't have a pot to pee in, what's the incentive to buy insurance?

NM is much the same as CA with one exception......The insurance companies only write 6 month policies, since so many folks cancel them anyway. When I was dealing with a claim here awhile back, the adjuster mentioned that just over half of drivers in NM have the required insurance. The others drive on cancelled policies, and/or don't bother to re-register their vehicles. He also stated that full 25% of drivers in this state have never had a driver's license, and another 10% have had theirs revoked or suspended. Sort of ups the stakes in the bumper car roulette out there.

That's pretty common in most states. There are insurance companies that specialize in this insurance - average lifespan of the policy less than 30 days. They know what's going on but they take the "we just build weapons, we aren't the ones who use them" argument to avoid taking responsibility for their actions. By continuing to sell to (in fact seek out & market to) people who will buy the coverage to get the tag & then dump the insurance they have almost no claims...but they enable people to dodge the law and they know that but defend their actions by saying that they're only telling the state that the person has insurance on a specific date & not making any warranty that it will remain in effect...they'll also tell you that they inform the state (by law) when insurance is cancelled - while knowing the states don't have the resources to chase anyone until the next renewal or someone gets stopped for something else & the insurance issue comes to light. It's just profit-chasing...at the expense of the responsible folks who have to pay for all the rest.

Archived