IGNORED

Utah visit, but not Torrey

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

I will be in Salt Lake, Spanish Fork, Richfield, Murray this week. Driving a rental cage. Staying Tues and Wed night in Murray. Anyone going to be around for a dinner?

Wednesday I will drive down to Richfield and back to Murray. Shall I take 89? Where should I Stop / look / see with my Camera?

yabadabapal

I agree. Killer lives in a town with 198 people. They probably would all like to see someone new in town.

DaveTheAffable
You should drive a little over an hour and go to Torrey. ;)

I might...Wednesday afternoon. But on Thursday I have 9am and 2pm meetings in Salt Lake, with a 7pm flight out. And WAY too much equipment to come on the RT.

The only other option is to arrive LAX 8pm Thursday night... get home at 9 or 10pm... and start driving back to Torrey. :/

You should drive a little over an hour and go to Torrey. ;)

I might...Wednesday afternoon. But on Thursday I have 9am and 2pm meetings in Salt Lake, with a 7pm flight out. And WAY too much equipment to come on the RT.

The only other option is to arrive LAX 8pm Thursday night... get home at 9 or 10pm... and start driving back to Torrey. :/

On Wednesday there are more than a handful of us going to be in Torrey already.

bakerzdosen

Man, normally I would certainly have been up for dinner, but I'm really trying to pool all my "free" time this week to try to make it down to Torrey - and I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to that.

Murray to Torrey really isn't that bad of a drive in a car if you drive straight there and back...

DaveTheAffable
Man, normally I would certainly have been up for dinner, but I'm really trying to pool all my "free" time this week to try to make it down to Torrey - and I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to that.

Murray to Torrey really isn't that bad of a drive in a car if you drive straight there and back...

Actually... it'll be Murray --> Richfield --> Torrey --> Murray

Well... it's only gas. :/

bakerzdosen
Actually... it'll be Murray --> Richfield --> Torrey --> Murray

Well then, that's not bad at ALL... Definitely head to Torrey, say hi, eat, head back to Murray.

My own trip to Torrey probably won't be much more lengthy...

DaveTheAffable

Well, I have been in the Salt Lake City and Provo area for the last two days, and it has done nothing but rain.

After a brief stop in Sandy Utah this morning, I drove down to Richfield. I finished my business there at about 3:30 this afternoon. I called Whip and told him I was on my way to Torrey! I figured I would be there in about an hour, and have some beverage and maybe some dinner with the folks before driving back to Salt Lake City tonight.

30 +/- miles from Richfield, at the top of the highway 24 summit, which is approximately 7800 feet, it was snowing pretty heavily. I drove down the western side just a few miles until I got into telephone range and called Whip. I asked him what the chances of Highway 24 being closed within the next few hours because I had to be back to Salt Lake tonight, and there is no other way to get from Torrey to Salt Lake.

Whip said, "Hey, let's ask Killer. He knows everything, and he's sitting right here." A brief discussion with Killer left me with the uneasy feeling that I might be making an unplanned sleep over in Torrey. The forecast was for the snow to drop down to the 7000 foot level or lower during the early evening.

Rats. I was so close. Probably 25 miles away, and I never made it. Hearing the summit might close at any time, not having snow tires or chains, I u-turned and went back over the summit, and drove north to Salt Lake City.

Oh well. I hope you all had a good time! When is fall Torrey?

bakerzdosen

Just remember, it's a dry cold.

Well, except for the rain and snow. Good thing Utah is a desert. Otherwise, you really would have had some problems. (For those of us transplanted Oregonians, it feels like home.)

Sorry you couldn't make it down there. (And that I couldn't do dinner here.)

Archived