IGNORED

Stan's turn in the barrel is coming up....<sigh>

Stan Walker

After 67,800 virtually trouble free miles on my '02 R1150RT it looks like it is time to get my hands greasy.

I always had the faintest suggestion of some play in the final drive pivot bearings even when brand spanking new. I ignored it. About 30,000 miles ago I felt it was getting a tiny bit worse and I adjusted the free play. I also set the preload about 2 NM high. The play is coming back (no surprise, I didn't think it would last forever).

Since I have never done a spline lube on this bike it's time to bite the bullet big time. For the record I have no symptoms of any problems. But there is no easy way to tell spline wear without tearing into it.

I've ordered a bunch of parts (Chicago BMW) to have on hand just in case:

1) Final drive pivot bearings (already have them)

2) Swing arm pivot bearings (already on hand)

3) Clutch disc, spring, and the 6 bolts that are one time use.

4) Slave cylinder, seal, and felt ring just because of reported failures.

5) Gear shift linkage bushes. These were bad when I lubed the '96.

6) Honda Moly 60 (already on hand).

7) Tools (everything I need plus a bunch more).

Anything that I've missed?

I won't even start this until the parts arrive. Also I'm up to my ears in hot projects at work. My best guess now would be during the week between Xmas and New Years but it could be later than that depending on how it goes at work.

I'll probably combine this with my annual service of the whizzy brakes, etc.

I don't have room to host a real tech daze at my house but if one or two local people feel that they would like to observe (or even get their hands dirty) let me know. It will probably be a multi-day project, 1 day to tear it down and clean/fix as needed, 1 day to put it all back together, and 1 for the annual service and some other things.

Stan

A 30mm socket if you don't have one.

I suppose if you really wanted to do over-paranoia preventative maintenance you could replace the neutral/gear position switch while you are right there.

A 30mm socket if you don't have one.

I do smile.gif and bigger too smile.gifsmile.gif

neutral/gear position switch

While the neutral switches fail frequently on the 1100's, I don't recall hearing of problems on the 1150's where BMW combined the two switches into a single assembly. Anyway, mine works just fine. I did replace Jan's neutral switch when I lubed her splines last summer.

Stan,

I am just south of you, over hte hill, and would be willing to offer some assistance and a dirty hand or two. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, if nothing else I am always good for some moron support. dopeslap.gif

PM me when you get closer to a date for actually doing this work.

Let me know what you don't have, I may be lucky enough to have them.

Archived