IGNORED

LH Throttle Body

pwerlink

I have a severe vaccum leak on my LH Throttle body. The forwardmost of the 2 small soft plugs ahead of the idle air bypass screw has fallen out. Does anyone know where I can get another? No such detail part listed in the parts fische. Any reason I can't make a plug and epoxy it in? Any help on this matter will be appreciated.

After cleaning up the area with carb cleaner and inspecting with an eye loupe (it's hidden behind the TPS), it appears to be tapped for a screw. Is this for manufacturing purposes and plugged or is a screw with an O-ring supposed to fill the hole? My Haynes manual shows me no clean photos of what is behind the TPS.

Just looked at MaxBMW parts fiche, is that where you are looking? There is an adjusting screw listed for my 99, not sure if that is what you are talking about or not. Don't know if the schematic shown was for the right or left side, but guess it makes no difference.

That's just the point, it's not listed on the fiche. There are 2 manufactured holes just forward (and on approx. the same axis) as the idle air bypass screw. On the right throttle body, they are both plugged. On the left, I am missing whatever goes into the forward most of these 2 holes (behind the Throttle Position Sensor),thus causing a vaccum leak and until it is plugged properly, I am unable to balance the throttle bodies. Question: plug or screw w/o-ring. Whats on your RT at this location?

pwerlink,

W/o taking my tupper ware off, I think the left tb has tps; right tb, w/o tps, mite have two extra holes.

If left is left and right is right, well I don't know.

wooster

I just looked on my GS. There are two machined indentations, but nothing in the holes (or non-holes, actually) themselves. I've never heard of that happening before. I might try a small rubber plug of some sort, but I really have no idea. Good luck.

Sounds like you have a similar problem. Spray some carb cleaner on them while the engine is running. You should hear the vaccum leak, but will notice rpm drop when the carb cleaner hits it.

Archived