IGNORED

03 R1150rs not starting

Labdaddy

Hello all,

My RS won't start. Just cranks over. I have checked for spark. That's good. I have heard the fuel pump cycle. I have pulled the pump and watched it squirt gas. I have pulled the fuel lines pre injector and watched fuel squirt with considerable pressure. I reconnected the lines and pulled the injectors out of TBs and turned it over. NO Fine squirts of fuel. I attached a tester to the injector wires and when engaging starter, it pulses. I understand it should. Would both injectors fail at same time? Doesn't seen reasonable to me. I thought if HES or motronic was bad I wouldn't have power to injectors or a ground pulse. I'm out of ideas other than giving up and paying a dealer to figure this out. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Evening John

If you have fuel pressure TO the injectors, and the tester shows the wires at the injectors capable of pulsing when cranking then it must have bad injectors. (well maybe anyhow)

But things like a very short injector pulse width or low voltage to the injectors can effect how much fuel actually comes out.

Maybe first things first-- Squirt a little starting fluid into the intakes (or into the nipples on the bottom of the TB units) then see if it will try to fire up. If it will then you definitely have a fueling issue.

If it passes the starting fluid test then:

-With the injectors hooked up and the key on, measure the available voltage at the power side of the injectors. Then do the same while cranking the engine over. (if low voltage find out why!)

-Then again with key and injectors hooked up (fuel and power) use a ground wire to momentarily ground the low side of the injector. See if you get a good squirt (ether key up then quickly test or jump the fuel pump to be sure the fuel system is primed and has pressure)

-If you have a good squirt in the above test then suspect something is making the fueling computer short squirt like a TPS issue, or an open oil temp sensor, or other input. Make sure the fueling computer has a good ground and has proper power to the battery and ignition inputs, etc.

It shouldn’t be difficult to either yea or nay the injectors themselves, or the power to the injectors, or the low side control of the injectors, or the Motronic control side.

If the injectors just don’t work even with fuel pressure/delivery, proper power, and momentary low side ground then look CLOSELY at the little fine screens in the fuel inlets of the injectors.

DR,

Thanks for the reply. I got as far as manually injecting a little fuel into the TBs. She wanted to go allright. I will continue on with your suggestions. I think I will order a couple of injectors. Thanks again. JE

How long was it sitting with the present gas in it? You may just have deteriorated fuel. Only way I know to test the theory (Beyond the squirting of fuel in the intakes) is drain and refill. Just dump the old gas in your cage........Preferably in small amounts, followed by a fillup.

DR,

Thanks for the reply. I got as far as manually injecting a little fuel into the TBs. She wanted to go allright. I will continue on with your suggestions. I think I will order a couple of injectors. Thanks again. JE

Morning John

Before installing new injectors try to find out what is wrong with your current injectors (if anything). So you don’t ruin the new injectors also. Fuel injectors seldom if ever outright fail to work at all. They can become lazy or drip at key off but seldom just quit working (especially 2 of them at once)

Get as far as testing the injectors with the ground wire and if at that point you still don’t get a squirt then the injectors are probably seized up from internal corrosion. At that point you can try to squirt some penetrating oil in the injector inlets while powering and jumpering the injectors to joggle the internal pintles. (sometimes that will get them operable).

If your old injectors are seized up from a gasoline/alcohol phase separation problem corroding the inside pintle then get the old fuel out of the lines below the pressure regulator and gas tank before installing new injectors.

What year RS? 1100 or 1150/ If it is an 1100, then it could be the HES. Even if there is fuel for the injector to consume, if the HES isn't signalling the Motronic to give them juice then nothing will get to the cylinders.

Is the tach flailing around when you hit the starter?

Afternoon flars

His thread heading says 03 1150.

Even so he IS getting an injection signal as his tester shows-- “I attached a tester to the injector wires and when engaging starter, it pulses” so the Motronic is attempting to pulse the injectors (it wouldn’t do that without an HES signal).

4WD,

I filled the tank that morning with premium. May be part of my problem. It took 5.4 gallons, so was quite low. I did ride about 10 mi. With light on. Maybe sucked some crap through, although filter and screen looked very clean.

Thanks, JE

I would suspect water in your fillup more than I would worry about sucking up crap from the bottom of the tank. I got a load of water once........Bike would not idle, ran badly without throttle open at least a quarter. I only had about a pint of water when I siphoned out the bottom of the tank. Could be your problem. Good Luck!

4WD,

So what happened is this. I filled up from near empty and the rode 25 near perfect miles( no surging, very responsive throttle, etc.) to work. Turned it off and worked for nine hours. Came out after work and spent 1.5 hours in the parking lot trying to start it and wonder how I was getting home. I left it in the storage shed at work for two days until I could get my trailer there to get it home. Could water have settled in the tank in the nine hours and I was injecting basically straight water into the TBs until the battery was kaput? Has the water ruined the injectors? I know it's gas now. It fires when I manually put it in the TBs.

Thanks to all of you for your insight and continued advice. I've never been stumped like this with a bike before. John

Morning John

Remove a fuel line from an injector, then put a short hose on it, then place that hose in a glass container. Key up (a couple of times) to pump fuel into that container.

Once you have a good fuel sample in a clear container let it sit for a while to see what settles out. If you have water or crap in the fuel it should settle out to the bottom and show in that container.

Water shouldn’t have ruined your injectors that quickly but water is more difficult to move through the injectors so will show a smaller erratic spray pattern.

Also call the gas station you bought the gas from—If they had a water or contaminated fuel problem you aren’t the only one that bought the bad fuel that day.

Also call the gas station you bought the gas from—If they had a water or contaminated fuel problem you aren’t the only one that bought the bad fuel that day.

That did not work for me........They denied everything. Luckily, for me, I figured it out, and resolved the issue by siphoning about a gallon out of the gas tank, puttin the little bitty hose in the pump well. I could see the water line through a red plastic gas can. I actually poured most of it back in (Carefully) because dumping a gallon of gas will get you in trouble these days. There was about a pint of separated water in the can. Probably a bit more in the tank, but the system will tolerate some.

D.R.,

Friday night I took the injectors off and totally douched then with carb cleaner. Sunday morning, I shook them real good, hooked then up to a bench battery, heard the solenoids doing their thing. I then connected them to the fuel lines and wiring but didn't insert into the TBs. Turns it over and had a nice misting of fuel. I popped them on and it started on the first touch. I rode it 40 mi. Yesterday and 70 so far today. So far so good. Thank you all for your help and advice. Weird they would goop up together and w/o any sign of trouble. Well, till next time friends! Anyone That finds themselves in the northwest, call me up.

John

Archived