IGNORED

Oil filler cap receiver

Rocer

My oil filler cap has bee seeping oil so I'm replacing the two "O" rings. The larger ring sits under the plastic receiver for the cap. I can't seem to remove this receiver part. Does it have a reverse thread or is it a force fit and just prys out. Thanks.

I just replaced the fill cap receiver on my RT with an all aluminum one. When I removed the plastic receiver I just popped it out by pushing on it from the inside of the cover once the cover was removed from the engine.

I seem to change the "O" rings in mine every year. It's easy, it's cheap and I hate the seeping that seems to inevitably start after one or two oil changes. I have always been able to just stick my pinky in the hole and pull and pull the plastic insert out. If it sticks I would be cautious about prying too hard. I think the plastic insert is much more expensive than the "o"rings.

If it doesn't come out fairly easily, just take the valve cover off and push it out. Heck take both valve covers off and check the valve clearances :-)

Thanks for the input azccj and Big-Gray. For whatever reason it's not pulling out so I'll wait until I do another valve clearance and push it out. In the meantime I'll see if just the top "O" ring will correct the seeping.

I do not know if this is a fact but I read it here somewhere on this forum so at least I know it is an opinion. Replace the O ring on the cap...but clean the cap of all traces of oil prior to replacing the clean dry O ring. Also wipe the seat in the valve cover so that it is completely dry too. If it works great. If it doesn't, let us know and we will all know that it doesn't always work :-)

Archived