IGNORED

Clutch Slave cylinder

bluesguitarboy

bluesguitarboy

I was out riding and totally lost my clutch. Of course I was 20 miles from home. I figured it was my slave cylinder took it off (what a pita) and this is what it looked like.DSC_1042.jpgthe one on the left is the new one. Had to take the bike apart to reach it.DSC_1045.jpgDSC_1046.jpgmaybe I should get a honda.

I assume no hydraulic fluid tracked forward along the throwout bearing and ruined the clutch. If it isn't too late, drill an 1/8 inch hole in the bottom of the slave cylinder cavity on the transmission so future leaks will have a safe place to drain. Or you can notch the gasket under the new cylinder, but that might not be enough.

bluesguitarboy

41k I just bought the bike this year. I have no idea how often the PO changed the fluid. Bike rides fine now clutch feels great. I might just replace the cylinder every 30k and change the fluid yearly.

I might just replace the cylinder every 30k and change the fluid yearly.

Why? Sure replace the fluid, but changing the cylinder seems a knee jerk reaction. Many folk have never had issues with this.

Andy

I replaced 2 leaking Clutch Slave Cylinders last summer, one on a 2002 1150RT and the other on a Goldwing. We don't have the market cornered on leaking cylinders.

bluesguitarboy

It's just that if the cylinder fails and ruins the clutch it might be worth making it a part of regular maintenance. If the design were such that when it failed it was impossible to ruin the clutch then I would replace it only when necessary.

It's just that if the cylinder fails and ruins the clutch it might be worth making it a part of regular maintenance.

You can catch them pretty early if you know what you're looking for. First, you will notice your friction zone moving closer to the handle bar. It's pretty noticeable once you are looking for it. If that happens, pull your reservoir cap and smell the fluid. If it smells like gear oil you know the slave is a goner. YOu can replace it at that time and it won't cause you any other problems. There's no need to replace the slave as routine mainenance.

That being said, if I was back there for something else at 100K+ miles, I'd probably do it for peace of mind.

That being said, I miss my cable on my old RT.

It's just that if the cylinder fails and ruins the clutch it might be worth making it a part of regular maintenance. If the design were such that when it failed it was impossible to ruin the clutch then I would replace it only when necessary.

Do what Al says and put a weep hole in the housing. It will keep the hydraulic fluid from getting to the clutch and if you see (or feel) a drip, you will know the cyl is heading south.MHO

Rich06FJR1300

i remember this going down to Shelbyville, TN for the RA rally back in 2005 (or was it '04?) anyway. I distinctly remember as i was heading down there, hmmmm....the clutch lever feels really easy to pull in? did i get stronger or something?

sure enough on the way back from the rally the slave cylinder acted up for the last 500 miles home. Managed to get home, but it was a PITA. Had the dealer fix it, ouch, 1100 bucks...32k on the bike. But the clutch itself was ok. dealer replaced the cylinder along with the clutch master cylinder too. Along with some other issues (final drive seal)

Archived