IGNORED

Winterizing 1100RT

Gerard

Hello all; I am a newbie to this list, just got a used 1100RT last August and living in the N.E of the US, I need to think about storing for the Winter. I have a garage but was wondering where i could find information about how to keep the battery charged (Someone told me you don't even need to remove the battery to charge!). Also what about fluids? Any help or suggestion of where to find info would be greatly appreciated.

~ Gerard

Buy one of the available battery tenders and a mail BMW plug. Just charge the battery through the outlet on the dash. Do not use a trickle charger, they will fry the battery if left unattended! I like to keep the bike filled with fuel and ride whenever the weather is cooperative. I run the bike at least once every 2-3 weeks even if I cannot leave the garage. Keeps things lubed and introduces fresh fuel into the injection system. I also will carefully shift into 1st gear while the bike is on the centerstand just to circulate the tranny and drive fluids a bit.

Just my habits. Seems to work as my bike is always ready to go when a sunny, dry day shows up in January! thumbsup.gif

hi gerard

welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you invest in a oxford optimiser you can leave it on 24/7 without worries.All you have to do is fit the tails as supplied to the battery and plug it in.

Also i start mine at least once a week so the fuel is relativley fresh in the cylinder.

hope enjoy many miles on your bike.

STAY UPRIGHT

REGARDS

DEREK thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I run the bike at least once every 2-3 weeks even if I cannot leave the garage

My 2 cents. You would be better off not doing this.

If you must start a bike engine you should bring it to full operating temperature and keep it there long enough for any condensation moisture to vaporize and be purged. My guess, 20 miles or more.

My rule, if I'm not going to ride it, I don't start it.

Stan

Archived