IGNORED

Feeling Foggy?

bigtim

I'm getting ready to park my 2003 RT for a few months due to the impending deep freeze soon to arrive. frown.gif Maybe I'm old school but I think fogging the cylinders is a good idea if it's going to sit in an unheated garage, right up there with trickle charging the battery. But somewhere, I seem to recall someone saying it's not a good thing to turn the motor over with the sparkplugs out. This would make a quick task difficult. As a option would it be possible to remove the air filter and spray the fogging oil in through the intake till it smokes than stop and button him up? Or is it ok to turn the motor over with the starter and the plugs out of the heads?

Thanks in advance, BT

You can turn the motor over using the starter IF you ground the sparkplugs while doing so. Seems that damage to the ignition system can occur otherwise.

It's still 55° at 9am, why not wait till the weather gets bad enough that the streets are icy? I usually ride as much as possible in the winter and park the bike when it gets slick. I also keep the bike ready for those inevitable dry sunny days when I need a riding fix. Starting the bike up and giving it a short ride when the opportunity arrives is much better for the bike and me then parking it for months at a time. thumbsup.gif

I wouldn't spray the fogging oil down the intake tubes from the air cleaner box. It will make a mess and do more harm than good. I used to fog my V8 boat motor through the carb, but stopped after having trouble with the carb in the spring. Spraying in the cylinders is ok, but not really necessary for a short storage period.

Why not just turn the motor over by putting it in gear and turning the wheel?

I guess I wasn't sure you could do that, good tip.

Maybe Indiana doesn't use salt on the roads but in Michigan they spread the stuff like they own the salt mine grin.gif that just doesn't work for me I hate to subject the bike to that and then just let it sit and rust. I don't have an place inside to rinse it off so your option just won't work for me, thanks anyhow! BT

Archived