IGNORED

tank "warning" sticker removal

TowJam

What is the best way to remove the servo-brakes warning sticker on the tank of my RT? It's already halfway off and I want to remove the remainder of it and the gummy residue - but without damaging the plastic. The sticker appears to be one of those "tamer resistent" stickers - it doesn't simply peel off with a hairdryer. confused.gif

TJ,

I've had some success with a product called "goof-off" removing stickers on several bikes. A little time, and elbow grease. then a lttle wax, better than new!

All the best,

Mike

I just picked at mine with my fingernails. Heating it helps to soften it a bit. I used WD-40 on a soft rag to remove the glue residue.
My mamma always told me "don't pick at it.." wink.gif but if I do, WD40 won't dull the plastic. Correct?

There is another product which I used to remove my sticker - it is called "Goo Gone" which is made by Magic American Corp (800-321-6330), and is sold at places like Walmart. I used it successively in combination with a hair dryer, but it still took a lot of effort; the sticker was for sure tamper-resistent. No harm to the paint finish and cannot tell the sticker was ever there.

Hair dryer, WD-40, a few fingernails and lots of good old fashioned cuss words.

Make sure you wax the painted parts when you're done.

Hair dryer, WD-40, a few fingernails and lots of good old fashioned cuss words. Make sure you wax the painted parts when you're done.
Using just my fingernail and WD40, I've managed to get about 75% of the sticker off. For some reason, what's remaining is really sticking firm. Guess it's time to pull out the hairdryer, get a bottle of Goo Gone and finish the job.

I will give BMW some credit... I've owned 4 Hondas - each with more stickers than a NASCAR racer.

Like mwheels said Goo Gone is my first choice it's mild and it works.
Like a champ. I was able to get the remainder of the sticker off (don't ask me how - it'll make you cringe) and the used the GG to get the residual gum off. I probably would've saved a half hour if I'd just started with the GG from the beginning.

Run your tank down near empty, so the gas level is well below the sticker, then heat the sticker with a hair dryer.

This will soften the adhesive enough that it should come off easier. Then take care of the residual adhesive with isopropyl alcohol which isn't a very good solvent, but it is safe for paint.

...and NO, there is no possible danger of a fire, and no, the isopropanol will not damage the paint in the slightest.

Bob.

I used a hair dryer and a plastic putty knife to scrap it off and then cleaned up the goo with Honda's Polish Cleaner in a spray can...worked perfectly not a mark left behind.

I just picked at mine with my fingernails. Heating it helps to soften it a bit. I used WD-40 on a soft rag to remove the glue residue.

What he said thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived