IGNORED

Triumph owners please chime in. Tiger 800

SuperG

Ever since the 800cc tiger was introduced I can't get it out of my mind. Keep looking online and reading review. Some reviews are good other not so.

I do like the bikes uniqueness being 3 cylinder that is.

I have the itch (in my wallet) I want one, a Tiger 800.

I have never owned a Triumph and have some reservation about them.

1: dealer network. Where I live we have a dealer in town, but I am sure they are far and few between.

2: resale- because of the rare factor of triumph and the few dealers avail, wouldn't potential buyers be turned off.

3: how is their warranty during and "out of warranty"

4: some one here said " you could not give away a triumph in the US. I like to know why.

5: are they reliable or buggy?

6: are parts expensive? Are parts readily available?

If you have experience with these bikes please chime in.

thanks

I rode the 800 down in Daytona this year & there is no good reason I should be looking at a K1600 GT at twice the price! :dopeslap:

There was nothing about the bike I didn't like. I never owned a Triumph but, i'm pretty sure reliability wise they're right up there with the best of them & having a dealer in town is a very good thing. :thumbsup:

4: some one here said " you could not give away a triumph in the US. I like to know why.

Not sure why but let me be the first to say, i'll take it! :grin:

Pat

I had a '01 Triumph T-bird, put 60k KM on it. Only issue was bad coils. Fit and finish were top notch. Paid $12k took 4 months to sell and got $4k in '05. Dealer was 200 miles away. Went once a year just for fun! Should have kept it for my son who is just getting learners. Buy one just plan to keep it. Hope this helps.

I have, and ride regularly, a 3 cylinder 2000 Triumph Sprint 955i RS.

I love it.

Regarding your questions about reliability... cannot tell you about dealers and reliability... never had a repair or failure. We have two dealers here in Salt Lake City. Both sell oil filters...

Resale... cannot tell you. Who would want to sell anyway, but seriously. Triumph has not been treated well in the used market. Well, I should say the "selling" side is not good, but the buying side is terrific.

The only part I have purchased is a spare radiator hose two years ago. I thought one of them looked like it might be swelling. I have not installed it yet but the cost was very reasonable.

So, in summary, I have not been helpful but I can assure you that every time I start that bike up I feel good 'cause I know there is a fun ride ahead.

I would not hesitate to purchase a lightly used Triumph.

I've owned 3 Hinkley Triumphs. 95 Trident, 03 Bonneville America, and an 04 America.

USA dealer list on the Triumph website turns up 172 (with a column for 'clothing'?). During roadtrips the sparse dealer network was a concern.

Resale seems more on the light side, but I've never made a bike purchase with an interest in resale. The Trident was sold to a buyer I met while in the local Triumph dealer, he couldn't get anyone to talk to him about bikes except me, and I had a bike for sale, that tells you something about my local dealer. The 04 America (with 45k miles) was traded straight across for an 05 Suzuki DR650. Both bikes in excellent condition, I think the other guy got the better deal but I'd already gotten the R11RT and was looking for a DS.

Buggy? The only issue with the Trident was a fork seal (and I dropped it 3 times in the driveway because it was too tall and carried 6.5 gallons high) but the type was known for stator issues. The 03 America spent 4 months in the shop the year I had it. It was great on the ride home, then it leaked oil like a Triumph is expected to. The shop hosed it up bad enough to require replacement (a not uncommon theme). Triumph replaced it with the 04 (a very, very painful process). The 04 performed well and required only a brake rotor replacement under warranty. The 04 took me on 5 IBA rides without missing a beat and was the most comfortable bike I've ever sat on but alas, was underpowered for an 800. The Trident was loads of fun but a bad back forced a sale as I couldn't sit on it for more than 15 minutes. Lurk on Triumph boards and you'll get a better picture. There is a percentage of trouble bikes, and considering the relatively small total population, in my opinion the odds are too high of getting a problem. Granted, I also didn't learn about R11RT "known issues" until I bought what I thought was a bulletproof brand... a $1k clutch and $800 transmission later... now I know a little more.

But even with those odds I'll get another one day.

I've never had an old geezer run across 4 lanes of traffic to check out my Suzuki, Yamaha, or Honda and regale me with stories about the Suzuki GS850 he had back in the day, but it happened when I was on a Triumph.

baggerchris

I have a long term riding friend who has a 08 Bonneville. He loves it. I love it also. He has had no problems.

I too have lusted after the 800, but will defer to later on down the road, after they get some miles on them and whatever there is to know is known.

I've owned three Triumphs, one Meridan and two Hinckleys.

My current 2006 Triumph Daytona 955i is an awesome bike. It's very strong, has given no issues since new and it has power everywhere, a feature of the Triumph Triple engine design. I think that you'd be very happy with it, the 800.

When the new Trophy tourer is released, I'll have the first one in town, the order is already in.

Cheers,

Linz :)

ellaguru2u

I ran a Trophy 1200 for 2 years and never had a problem until a few days before I was due to sell it. The mainstand had bent (dont know why). Even though the bike was out of warranty (4 years old) the dealer replaced the mainstand free of charge.

It was a great bike but I was suffering from the 'so many bikes - not enough time' syndrome back then.

I did a couple of factory tours and was very impressed with their attention to detail & quality.

I have had an 08 Bonneville since new. Has been dead reliable, and no repairs needed. I've bought a few bits for it - sport mufflers, oil filters, etc. - prices pretty reasonable compared to BMW bits. Best thing about it is the engine, but everything works well, no complaints.

I have had an 08 Bonneville since new. Has been dead reliable, and no repairs needed. I've bought a few bits for it - sport mufflers, oil filters, etc. - prices pretty reasonable compared to BMW bits. Best thing about it is the engine, but everything works well, no complaints.

Love the new Bonneville's. I've wanted to add one to the garage since the very moment I saw one in person. Tough part is trying to decide between the Black or British racing green w/white pinstrips :grin:

hERE I am Tommy. Let'see..triumphs....hmmm.

I have had 3...03 speed triple..loved it....06 Sprint st-ABS..loved it...06 thruxton..loved it.

So where to start.

Never had problem with any of them. Dead reliable. Turn key, start up. Ride. Gas up. Tires when needed. Oil change too.

Triple mill is to die for.

I just sat on the new.road.and 800 XC yesterday for the first time.

I could easily own one of these. Had it not been raining I would of been test riding it.

I was thinking how much I loved that trip motor. And how many joyful miles of trouble free smiles the st sprint gave me.20k in two years. I loved that scoot.

I might run back and attempt the test.ride.on the XC this morning. It isn't raining. One.of my closest friends has a white XC on order. It'll be here next week.

I have a 2012 super Tenere on order presently...but it won't be here before november now.

So, the triple is calling me again.

I did sit on the new trumpy GT...for +13k it didn't do anything for .me.

Go and get cha a lightly used ST for half the money.

Thruxton got all the looks...the speed triple is thee ultimate city street weapon.

Triumph is hitting home runs with their lineup. And with the addition of the new trophy and the 1200 tiger next year....uh Wowwuh, they're in the chips.

Can't go wrong with the triumph marque.

Had A '00 Thunderbird Sport and '02 Tiger 955i (LimeyGreenBastard). Loved both bikes. Hated to see them both go. Had to sell do to $$$ issues (being an adult suxs :mad:)

Only issue was on the TBS - bad coils (know issue)

No real issues (Other than resale). Friend of mine has a white 800 to go along with his 650GS. I asked him which was better - he said the Trumpy was faster :thumbsup:

I picked up my White Tiger 800 ABS a week ago. It fits perfectly between my RT and my DRZ. As soon as I get a good seat I will be racking up some miles. I did 200 the other day and was hurting when finished. It's not entirely the bikes fault, since I've abused my body for a long time. Anyway, I love it.

001-4.jpg

I am on my second Triumph Trophy and love the bike. I originally bought a Trophy 900 triple after owning 3 BMW's out of interest and only planned on keeping if for a couple of years. I ended keeping it 5 years before going back to BMW as I had always considered myself a BMW enthusiast. It took me two more BMW's, a 2002 R1150 R and a 2003 R1150 RT to make me realize how much I liked my Trophy. I now have a 2000 Trophy 1200 four which I bought 2 years ago. From my experience they are very dependable. I had not a single problem in five years and 30,000 miles on my first Trophy although on my present Trophy I have replaced the coils( a well known problem) and gas lines and spark plug leads, something I expect on a 11 year old bike and what I consider maintenance rather than a quality issue. The truth be told, one of the reasons I came back to Triumph was the maintenance problems and expensive remedies associated with my R1150 RT. As far as a downside to owning a Triumph they do not seem to have much of a resale value where I live but there are now three dealerships in the area which is a good sign. This is not a put down of BMW's as I will always be a fan but I've been riding 45 years now and I've never had a motorcycle that fits me so well and accomplishes what I desire in a motorcycle as my Trophy.

re:

"I have never owned a Triumph and have some reservation about them.

1: dealer network. Where I live we have a dealer in town, but I am sure they are far and few between.

2: resale- because of the rare factor of triumph and the few dealers avail, wouldn't potential buyers be turned off.

3: how is their warranty during and "out of warranty"

5: are they reliable or buggy?

6: are parts expensive? Are parts readily available?

If you have experience with these bikes please chime in."

I've never owned a Triumph, but I did a week in Baja with a buddy on an 800XC a few months ago, and it did everything much better than my 1150GS, everything, MUCH better.

Better on pavement, better in dirt, better in sand, 25 percent better gas mileage, better sounding, etc . . . . . .

If I was in the market to buy a bike, a Tiger 800XC would be at or near the top of my list. Regarding your questions above, I have no opinions or answers.

So Hannabone, are you considering cancelling your S10 and falling back to the Tiger? I road the roadie the other week and LOVED it sans the super stiff suspension. I read that will soften up a bit after breakin though. I honestly thing I would like the XC better, but I'm not crazy about tubes on a bike that I'm going to use as my "touring" bike. Does anyone have any pillion reviews on this bike? I'm reading everything I can and don't see much on this.

I have been riding a 955i Tiger for 7 years (2004). I can answer your questions as follows:

I have never owned a Triumph and have some reservation about them.

1: dealer network. Where I live we have a dealer in town, but I am sure they are far and few between. About like BMW dealer network.

2: resale- because of the rare factor of triumph and the few dealers avail, wouldn't potential buyers be turned off. They are rapidly becoming less rare. If a potential buyer wants a Triumph then he will buy one.

3: how is their warranty during and "out of warranty" Never had warranty claims, I do know that they do not deny problems the way that BMW does.

4: some one here said " you could not give away a triumph in the US. I like to know why. I don't agree with that statement.

5: are they reliable or buggy? Very reliable, not at all buggy, especially compared to BMW.

6: are parts expensive? Are parts readily available? All motorcycle parts are expensive, availability has not been a problem.

thanks

Here she is. I'll end my hijack now :)

IMG0696-M.jpg

SUPER NICE, Tom! I like!

I have only had one Triumph, 07 Tiger 1050, kept it couple of years and it made the UN in NH. Great memories with that bike! Easy to work on and mod. Took it to the track twice, much fun. Very comfortable and if I could keep more than one bike, it would still be here.

I bought it used, so got a great deal, only a year old and 2000 miles.

I sat on the 800XC couple weeks ago (Tyler, Tx), liked it!

Had a Triumph Tiger 1050 and really liked it. Great motor and no real problems other than one....problematic oil use that would come and go. Sometimes didnt use but a drop, other times it seemed to burn it off at will. I would CERTAINLY buy another based on my experience. Fun bike.

Phil

What was it that made you get the XC over the Roadie version? Did you get to ride both? I only road the road version. I have a feeling that I would like the added size and better suspension of the XC, but honestly, the only real thing that is holding me back on the XC is the tubed tires. I can fix flats a heck of a lot easier on my RT than on my KLR. Guess I'm lacking in the dirt rider skills department.

Archived