IGNORED

Howyou or someone you know ever lost a sidecase?

Beembish

Have you or someone you know, ever had a sidecase come off going down the road? My 17 yo son rode to school on his new 87 K75S and sh*t the sidacase came off jut before the stop sign. The school bus had to stop and wait for him to put it back on. He was embarrassed and thinks he's the nly one it's ever happened to. Really bummed about it. He just didn't have it attached good.

On the way back from Torrey last spring, Big Gray lost one off of his 1150rt. Pissed him off immensely. I'll be seeing him again next week, hopefully with a new sidecase.

ProductUser

This happened to me in Denver as I was heading to Custer, SD. with a bunch of friends. The side case came off when I was doing around 90 on I-25. A friend that was behind me saw the case pop off and tumble. She then sped up next to me and pointed to my rear tire. I thought I had a tire going out. When I stopped, I noticed my right case was gone. My friend said it flew off 5 miles back and tumbled towards the off ramp. I rode back, found it, and reinstalled. The case was still in one piece.

Oh, I made sure I locked it this time.

I never put anything of value or high importance in the side cases for that reason.

Tony

markgoodrich

My topcase has gone off...twice. Last time was a few weeks ago. The insurance adjuster said he "see a whole lot of BMW sidecases that have fallen off]."

Man, that's rough: 17, holding up the schoolbus with all your classmates watching you futz around in the street. No thanks. Of course I'm middle aged now, and I'd prolly get a laugh out of it. I might smile and wave, do a cartwheel, or little dance. but not at 17.

Like everyone else with an airhead, I had to strap the side cases closed on my R100. They never fell off, but I had to turn around and collect my junk that was strewn up and down the road. fun fun fun.

aterry1067

I think if I had rode a BMW motorcycle to high school I could have worn a pink helmet and assless chaps and still have been the coolest kid in school. :dopeslap: Kudos to you and your kid for him already riding. And a very nice model bike, I might add, presently being sought after by me.

That said, I haven't lost a case (yet), but have embarrassed myself in various other ways on the bike, and many other vehicles prior to it.

My topcase has gone off...twice. Last time was a few weeks ago. The insurance adjuster said he "see a whole lot of BMW sidecases that have fallen off]."

What caused this, Mark? The GF is finally relaxing on the RT, leaning against the padded top case.

ElevenFifty

I lost one going around a corner at moderate speed. Really bugged me so I did a little testing.

FYI...it is possible to 'seemingly' attach one while not engaging the front tab of the case into the front attachment slot ... when you do this (at least on my 1150), the handle clicks in place, and the case position looks pretty much normal ... give the case a sharp jolt and it will dislodge.

I had one of my Jesse's come off of my 1150GS at Sturgis once because I didn't have it hooked on correctly. Fortunately it was on a dirt road out of Deadwood so there weren't any pirates around to see.

RichEdwards

Following a fellow rider on the Alaska Hwy on a section that was being 'repaired', his sidecase flew off and tumbled along for about 100 feet. He was on a R1100RT and one of the plastic 'hooks' that held the sidecase on had snapped off. Duct tape provided a temporary repair that held up quite well from that point on.

I had a side case pop off one time when I crossed an elevated lane due to construction. The bottom of the bag must have hit the "curb" on the road. Luckily I noticed and only a minor scratch. I lost a topcase one time due to not installing it properly. I called the local Trooper station in NC and they had it. (Someone had turned it in.) I also had a side case pop open on my old Triumph Sprint after hitting a pothole. It happens.

markgoodrich

What caused this, Mark? The GF is finally relaxing on the RT, leaning against the padded top case.

I cannot afford a GF, I have a wife. No, the problem is, as with all problems ever endured on my RT, self-inflicted. Once I forgot to lock the case down, more recently I put it on the rack, but didn't get the tangs down in the rack, and locked it. Both times my wife was on the back. We never made it more than 100 feet from the driveway either time. This last time (hijack here) a few weeks ago I called my insurance company and the adjuster came out and looked the topcase over, I mentioned that my sidecase was scratched (from a drop at a standstill another time) and he simply added it to the claim...almost $2300 total. They never just figure the cost of painting, they replace anything scratched. I have a $100 deductible. Oh, and I just got my premium notice. It went DOWN about $50.

That's the adjuster who should console the OP's son...he sees BMW side cases all the time, and not a few top cases.

And for the record, my wife is a really excellent pillion and traveling companion. Which would you prefer, snuggling up at the end of a 700 mile day with a beautiful, soft woman or be like poor Limecreek, who has to snuggle up next to swmckinley?

Apologies for the hijack....

As Longjohn said, I lost mine on I-15 going through SLC on the way home from Torrey last spring. My fault...I think. I put the bag on before sunrise and believe I may not have properly fitted the front mounting tab. I have done this before and gotten away with it on short rides but the bag will come off if the front tab isn't properly positioned...trust me on this!

There was a little dark humour to the event in hindsight.

I didn't realize the bag had come off but a good old boy in a jacked up 4X4 pulled up beside me waving his arms and silently (from my perspective)yelling at me at 70 mph. I concluded that I had pulled some bone headed Canadian driving faux pas. I tried to sign him a gesture of apology and picked up the pace a little to put some space between us. I have to hand it to him. He was persistent and stayed with me to 80mph. I finally noticed the missing bag in my rear view mirror and started making my way to the shoulder with the 4X4 close behind.

I was very relieved when he got out of the truck and left the Winchester on the rack. Turns out he had seen the bag leave the bike and landmarked the location about 8 miles back. He said it appeared to come to rest on the right shoulder.

I thanked him, apologized profusely for misunderstanding his attempt to help and went back to retrieve what was left of the bag. It was gone. Lucky in a way. It contained only my dirty laundry, two bottles of modestly priced red, and old pair of loafers and souvenirs for my wife and grandaughter. My clean clothes, my laptop, and my toiletries were in the other bag.

Replacement of the bag is another story for another thread.

Lost one from my ST1300 several years ago. The Honda uses the same clamping lever to lock the bag and the saddle on and I had taken the seat off to get my tire repair kit out for a couple with a flat. Forgot to lock it back down. Lost the bag somewhere on a 50-mile stretch of US 6 in PA. Went back but didn't find it. Moral: No good deed goes unpunished.

pete

And for the record, my wife is a really excellent pillion and traveling companion. Which would you prefer, snuggling up at the end of a 700 mile day with a beautiful, soft woman or be like poor Limecreek, who has to snuggle up next to swmckinley?

Apologies for the hijack....

Oohoohooh Marcos, bad form, especially when you're riding with them tomorrow. Guess who's gonna get saddled with picking up the tab?

Then again, it's probably worth it. :grin:

Archived