IGNORED

OEM R1200RT Windshield: Acrylic or Polycarbonate

LPOL

Anybody know which the OEM windshield is?

Have some slight scratches and want to remove them. Anybody tried the Novus 3-bottle approach? Did it work?

Other solutions for scratch removal?

I ue Meguiars Mirror Glace 17 Clear Plastic cleaner and Mirror Glaze 10 clear plastic polish.

Seems to work well for minor scratches.

Most regional or local airport supply stores sell a product to clean and de-haze and remove minor scratches from aircraft windows. Good place to check out.

I tried using a headlight polishing kit and it didn't work. After doing a little research I found out that our windshields have a protective "AR coating" which cannot be polished. Poly is hydroscopic (absorbs water) and will cloud up over time. In order to prevent this the windshields have a hydrophobic coating. When you polish the windshield you will remove the coating turning that part of the windsheild a different color. Over time the windshield will cloud up as water is absorbed. I ruined mine, should have left the small scratch alone. I'm not saying that it can't be done but I'm not sure how.

Explanation of Polycarbonate coatings

Tapiato...

Thanks to you and others for the valuable information and guidance.

Probably sell my current windshield "as is"...small scratches are out of the 'sight line' and a simply cosmetic.

Good info...kinda heard the same thing from a 'plastic supplier' here in town.

fastbikedroid

Not sure on prior years, but on the 10+ it's poly and it's made for BMW by national cycle (the vstream guys)

A friend of mine does the car headlights polishing as a part time job and he took in a Harley windshield as a job. I know because he called me for advise. He had never done shields before.

Long story short... He ruined the windshield and had to pay for 1/2 of a replacement.

Tsp

PS: my advise was to try a small bottom corner of the shield before doing it all. :)

fastbikedroid

I use Novus .. #1 has been all I've needed so far, though I have the whole kit. I've never succesfully removed a scratch without making the area around it worse, but that probably has more to do with my skill and level of pickiness. Then again on the poly screens (like the OEM or the vstream) I've never gotten a polishable/buffable scratch ... gouges from rocks but I don't think polish is going to fix that - the material is gone!

Archived