IGNORED

Transmission Oil - Use Amsoil?

Woodsey

Will using Amsoil Severe Gear Synthetic Extreme Pressure Gear Lube 75w90 in the transmission of a 2006-07 R1200RT cause any problems?

If so, what Amsoil oil could/should one use?

Thank you for any help.

Morning Woodsey

Try it and see how you like the long term shifting qualities. I have found long ago that not all the BMW’s motorcycles I have owned like the same trans oil as far as all weather shifting goes.

That Severe Gear has a lot of EP (moly) type additives in it to protect differential Hypoid gear teeth in heavy duty operation. Sometimes that can build up on the trans sliders after a while and cause a little shifting difficulty. Nothing in that Severe Gear that your trans really needs but as long as it shifts OK long term then it won’t hurt it either. Most of the trans bearings are sealed using their own grease so they don’t even operate in the gear oil.

The 80w90 Amsoil Synthetic 80W-90 Gear Lube is probably closer to the BMW recommended but again try different types to see what shifts best the longest.

Your trans does have helical tooth gears but they really don’t operate under that much loading to need a high EP gear oil.

Tranny always shifts better after fresh oil of proper spec.

Afternoon Joe

That's true but how long it remains that way separates what you should be using from what are currently using.

I've been using it in my 2006 R12RT for 43000+ miles with no issues. I can't say it has helped but it hasn't hurt. Trans shifts as it has since new.

Thank you all for your replies.

I will give the Amsoil a try and let you know how it works out.

Woodsey

Thank you all for your replies.

I will give the Amsoil a try and let you know how it works out.

Woodsey

It has worked well in 2 of my R bikes.

HairyCannonball

Severe gear works fine for me. Some folks even say it makes your pecker get bigger, but I can't testify to that. However my transmission shifts smooth, runs quiet and nothing has broken yet. However with the luck I am having with my old house I am not holding my breath. Anyone out there want to buy a lovely 1950's duplex in Rapid City with a beautiful 25X40 shop building? Lol.

Archived