IGNORED

Headlight replacement and bulb replacement

Byter

I've put a deposit on a 2011 RT and will fly from New Zealand to St Louis to pick it up in June, then tour the USA for several months, then ship the bike back to NZ. I'll have to replace the headlight since we drive on the left side over here. Will this require some major dissassembly? Also, after this recent discussion about headlight bulbs frequently burning out i was wondering how much dissassembly is required to replace a bulb? Thanks for your input.

RichardSpag

Byter,

Bulb replacement is quite easy. Some people advocate taking off parts of the fairing to make access easier, but I generally manage without doing this. If you reach down behind the headlight you will find a circular plastic cover which will come off with a short turn. Behind that is the bulb and its electrical connector. Carefully pull the connector off and depress and move aside the two sprung arms that hold the bulk into the back of the reflector. This is simple with next to no practice. What takes care (in my experience) is getting the new bulb back in place and reversing the disassembly process without fumbling the bulb! After your first or second bulb replacement you'll know just what a skin graft feels like - but you'll soon get it down to a fine art I'm sure.

An extra articulation in your fingers would be useful - but I guess primitive man did not evolve with BMW maintenence in mind :dopeslap:

Cheers

Richard

CoarsegoldKid

Why would replacing a headlamp bulb comply with driving on the "wrong" side of the road? Each bulb is the same H7 type. I think the reflector is the difference in the assembly. How that is changed is beyond me? I wouldn't try it. Perhaps taping over the offending bulb side would work. I'm sure someone has experience with this issue. A solution is probably only minutes away.

Don't drive at night.

CoarsegoldKid

Duh! My bad. I see now that the problem will be in NZ not US. Me thinks you will be removing tupperware and getting your hands bloody.

Archived