IGNORED

Back sore

jc99

I converted from a cruiser with a back rest corbin seat. I have a sargent on my new GSA 1200 and after doing 350 miles my back was pretty sore. Is this normal and does it get better after more riding and building up the back muscles? Ive never had an upright style bike doing long distances.

It could be your posture on the bike and or you may benefit from risers for the bars. Bend at the waist and avoid hunching your shoulders. Exercise to strenghthen your core.

Or perhaps it could be that you are just older. I got that response from my doctor when I complained about aches and pains.

Google is your friend... Master Yoda Riding Position... MYRP.

You can fix this... no one said it was easy, just that you can learn how to sit on/ride a bike.

The fundamental issue is that you have trained your body to sit as if you were in a chair. That is no longer the case.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Abs, you don't have to have six-pack, just some exercise. Neutral spine. Pretend you have the proverbial stick shoved up something.

My mistake! Bend at the hips!

Calling Mitch.

Can you find that post you did about riding position and "bending" where you posted pictures and diagrams

of the pelvic area?

It was a long time ago...

Two things about an RT.

It is upright and some riders get back pressure from the wind management system of the fairing and windscreen.

That can contribute to a sore back/shoulder/neck depending on your size and build.

MYRP ++

I have spent a good bit of time trying to explain MYRP and the most simple demonstration I have is to find a tall stool.

Put the stool away from the bar or the kitchen counter about as far away as your grips are. Put your feet on the rungs and wrists on the bar.

Now lift your wrists off the bar at least an inch. Keep them in the air. If you cannot do that for an extended period of time you need to develop the muscle group that lies above your butt on the back side of your body and strangely enough the upper thighs. You may notice that your feet are now involved... strange... especially if you come to BMWs from Cruisers. (note: on a cruiser if you press your feet downward they just stick out forward. If you press your feet down on the BMW you will stand up.)

Realize that supporting your upper body with your hands/wrists is not good... for several reasons. One is that eventually you will induce pain in your wrists, your back etc. Second is that you will be a better rider if you learn about soft hands, and I am not talking about the lack of calluses.

Last but not least stick your elbows out into the wind. Again you will find that this requires you to lean forward a bit but remember... no holding your body up with your wrists...

If you can figure all this out you will reduce/eliminate the pain and you will be a better rider.

Kudos to Dick Franz who wrote MYRP.

All good advice. I'd note that this seems to be more of an issue as I've gotten older (and, admittedly, less fit). In addition to paying attention to your riding posture and working on core strength, I'd also suggest doing stretching exercises. For me the best approach has been to lie flat on the floor with my lower legs resting on a chair or couch, then aligning my back to eliminate any gap between my back and the floor. You can also pull your legs toward you in this position, stretching those muscles.

I've also gotten in the habit of taking an NSAID (usually ibuprofen) as a prophylactic measure before a long ride. I'll leave it to those more qualified than I to explain, but it heads off those aches and pains by reducing the onset of inflammation that causes discomfort. However, do be aware of the fact that these OTC medications are not without their risks, including adverse renal effects. You want to avoid exceeding the recommended dosage, drinking alcohol excessively while using them, etc. In other words, read and heed the cautions on the package.

Archived