IGNORED

Zumo 550 and/or Zumo 660 + wiring thoughts

Theophilus

Theophilus

Would appreciate any thoughts on Zumo 550 and/or Zumo 660. Also, can these be plugged into the power point on the R1100RT, or will I (or someone) have to wire into the battery? If the latter, how big a chore is that?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

For the 665, the harness length would make going into the powerlet port on the dash a problem with what to do with the excess length.

It's a piece of cake to hardwire to the battery. Though, I'd look for a switched power source in the dash. It doesn't draw much power.

If you are anywhere near Houston, I would be glad to show you how I did my Zumo 550. Basically I have the plug coming out by the dash in front of the tank. I ran the wires underneath the tupperware direct to the battery.

I have the powered cradle for the 550. It's nice to have the GPS live when the bike is off. I simply shut off the Zumo with it's power button. The voltmeter doesn't budge when the GPS is on. It really doesn't pull much power and I have to pay attention to that on the Wee.

I hardwired it to the battery. It's easy to do once you take the tupperware off. A fuse block (my next project) is a nice way to keep it neat under the seat.

i-zfpqXKh-XL.jpg

I wired mine to the battery with a relay so it turns on and off with the key. The 550 gives me the choice of letting it run on it's battery with the key off so I can leave it on when I stop for food or gas.

You will find a great deal of information over at:

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum

The question about switched power versus direct to battery power was the first and now long-term discussion on the forum when it was new.

It seems that people make a decision on the matter then support their choice, which is agreeable for me.

I am on the switched power side and Kathy is on the unswitched side.

Do what ever you like. Direct battery is easiest.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

BTW,

If you go direct to the battery or just to run aux wires, a coat hangar is your friend for fishing wiring without taking the tupperware off. Push through from the back end, attach the wires with a bit of tape and pull back with the wire.

Theophilus

Thanks David. If I run into trouble I may give you a shout. I discussed this with the bike's previous owner (a wrench), and think I have a bead on what to do.

I'm in the middle of wiring for a GPS on an R1100RT right now, and I am planning to take power off the (unused for me) radio leads, which are just to the left of the oil cooler. This is an unswitched, but fused (going from left to right, fuse #8) circuit, so it's always live, unless you add a switch.

I have my GPS wired from the horn fuse (fused side). It powers the GPS on and off with the ignition. It's an easy solution.

Archived