IGNORED

Won't restart - '02RT

tazplas

Hi guys

Haven't rode for a week or so.

Got the bike out this morning and started second time. Warmed it up in the driveway until 2 bars appeared. Shut it down and restarted. All okay so shut it again and went to get changed and go for a ride.

Daughter very excited as she was to go for here first ride.

Now the bike will not restart.

Cranks over ok

Spark at both plugs

Can smell fuel after excess cranking so it's definately happening there.

Occasional backfires.

Have tried the engine starting spray - still nothing.

Checked plugs again. All ok.

Voltage - 13.2 on standby, 10.5-11.5 when cranking.

Have reset the Motoronics via the fuse.

Still nothing. :mad: Had this problem about 2 months ago and after nearly a day of trying to start it fired up. It's been great since then.

From past experience, when riding nearly every day, there were never any issues but when i miss a week or two, then it all turns pear shape.

Any ideas about getting it started (now) and obviously needing to ride it more frequently.

Cheers

Steve

Fraidycat

Steve-----I can't help but am going to be 'all ears" listening to ideas from some of the really knowledgeable guys on this forum--------

Michaelr11

What's with the warm-up shutdown and restart? Gear up, get on, start it up and roll away. It should be warm enough to click off the fast-idle by the time you've traveled about one or two tenths of a mile. I had a car that would do the same thing if I started it and drove it a few feet to roll it out of the garage. It wouldn't start unless left for a while or if I ran the starter with throttle to the floor.

What's with the warm-up shutdown and restart? Gear up, get on, start it up and roll away. It should be warm enough to click off the fast-idle by the time you've traveled about one or two tenths of a mile. I had a car that would do the same thing if I started it and drove it a few feet to roll it out of the garage. It wouldn't start unless left for a while or if I ran the starter with throttle to the floor.

And there you have it. My Mistake. Should have been ready to go in the first place.

Anyways, update:

She rides!!!!

Went down late afternoon and second turn she started. :clap: Maybe it was because i had actually been on the 'net looking at BMW Motorbikes with the view of upgrading and the Fraulein had got'n wind of what i was doing.

Have clocked up 70kms and she's as happy as a pig in the proverbial.

I reckon she doesn't like starting when she's only had about 2 minutes of running and she's not properly warmed up.

But really, i wish i new what what the real issue was.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Cheers

Steve

cris nitro

Did by any chance you have it in gear and the side stand was down? With the clutch pulled in, it will crank over, but not fire.

I had it on the centre stand when i checked the spark on the plugs so no sidestand issue with that.

When i was trying to get it going, at all times it was on the centre stand.

I had thought of the side stand and had checked it out b4 going too much further into the bike.

Anyways, it's all good now (for now) but i will ride again today and see if i have any issues getting her to go.

Cheers

Steve

4wheeldog

What you describe is flooding. These bikes are just a bit finicky between cold start and warm. When you turn off the key, then turn it on again, while it is still open loop (Which it is when cold), and extra shot of gas is put in the mix. If you did this a couple of times, you may have flooded it.

Next time, try rolling the throttle full open, then crank it, until it clears.

Conversely, if you stall the motor when cold, it can be a little tough to get going if you just crank it. It will fire right up if you cycle the key off, then on. Again, that little prime shot is there just for the cold start situation. Good luck!

Archived