IGNORED

I was right, they are trying to kill us

BerndM

I saw this on a local SoCal website this evening.

Just goes to show that even though we may have the law on our side, not everyone is willing to accept that.

Sad.

===================================================================

Here's the short article

===================================================================

Man accused of trying to ram motorcyclist

12:12 PM PDT on Friday, May 6, 2011

The Press-Enterprise

A 56-year-old Beaumont man is behind bars today in connection with what California Highway Patrol officers say was an attempt to ram a motorcyclist along I-215 near Highgrove.

James Winans Clarkson Jr. was arrested at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at University Avenue and Redwood Street in Riverside and booked for investigation of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, brandishing a gun, and possessing a gun while committing a felony, jail records show.

The freeway incident happened about 1:30 p.m. April 26 near Center Street in Highgrove and involved a 22-year-old motorcyclist from San Bernardino, CHP Officer Sylvia Lopez said in a written statement.

"Witnesses stated that the motorcyclist was safely splitting traffic and (was) actually thanking motorists that shared the lane," according to the statement. "As the motorcyclist passed a 1998 Toyota pickup truck, the driver ... suddenly swerved towards the motorcyclist in a deliberate manner.

"For several miles, the driver ... made numerous attempts to strike and ram the rider."

The rider tried to race away, but both men eventually pulled over and stopped. At that point, the statement says, the truck driver displayed a revolver.

Before arresting Clarkson, officers served a search warrant and seized a gun and other unspecified evidence that they say links Clarkson to the incident.

Clarkson is being held on $1 million bail.

--RICHARD BROOKS

rbrooks@PE.com

I lane share almost every day! I've had one guy in a Suzuki type jeep try and hit me about three times before I got around him. The bad part, he had TWO YOUNG CHILDREN in the vehicle with him!

I do NOT trust anyone in a car, and I sure do NOT stop for any of them that don't have the flashing red and blue lights!

Glad the CHP took the maroon off the streets!

Something to consider while lane splitting. Sounds like road rage sparked the driver in the Toyota. High gas prices, creeping along in slow traffic, mental/intoxication/frustration issues, bravery due to the gun possession and just having a bad day can ignite road rage emotions when seeing the lane splitting bike.

I don't understand how the driver in the truck made several attempts to ram the bike. A '98 Toyota isn't the fastest or most maneuverable vehicle around. Even though it says "rider tried to race away" you would think any bike could easily make that threat small in the rear view mirror. I sure as hell won't stop.

If I meet a hostile driver, I'm turning up the wick and color me gone.

This is usual or par for the course for so cal. There are many drivers like that character on the road. Perhaps more toward inland empire. They tend to drift over that way a lot.

dc

russell_bynum
This is usual or par for the course for so cal. There are many drivers like that character on the road. Perhaps more toward inland empire. They tend to drift over that way a lot.

dc

That has not been my experience at all.

4wheeldog

dc

That has not been my experience at all.

Well, if you don't recognize the problem folks out there, maybe you are them. (Just kidding).

I like the bail. It appears that court is taking this very seriously.

In my limited experience in CA lane splitting I found that the majority of cars actually moved, as if a parting of the waters, in slow to stopped traffic to allow me through. I sure wish this was a universal understanding in all states.

There was this one UPS truck that wanted to make it dicey, but the whiskers on the RT got me through :grin:

W. Mazelin

What a jerk! If all goes well, he will have a decent amount of time to cool his jets, courtesy of the DoC.

Penforhire

If someone gets three shots at taking me out on the highway we were not just creeping along. Beaumont? Any odds the offender was a white supremist gang member?

Out of thousands of cars split past, I recall only two moving to block me while everyone was moving (one knocked me a few inches to the right). There are more who are jerks in stopped traffic but that's not an attempt to kill me.

I actually had one a'hole in a pick-up open his door on me in stationary traffic! It was all I could do NOT to pull over, drag him out of his truck and head butt him with my Nolan :mad:!

Instead, I took a deep breath, stopped and waited for the traffic to proceed.

That would have been funnier than hell. I ride bicycles a lot and I always joke I'd drag them out and beat them with my bike. I would be like a 20 lb club they couldn't get awy from. :grin:

Archived