IGNORED

Please don't give me a Dodge 1/2 ton enema......

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Close call today. Going to the gym after work, stop in the #2 left turn lane behind a couple other vehicles. Left tire track. Watched as the fairly large red Dodge pickup comes in behind me. About 10 ft back, no concerns after they stopped as I could see a stopped shadow of a car behind them.

While the light was still red, I was busy making sure everyone could see how good I looked, just like the motor days (with my open face helmet, cool shades and short sleeve shirt :dopeslap:), although totally ATGATT now.

Something caught my eye in the mirror and I could see the non-male (hopefully not too subtle) driver of the large pickup fervently working her hair.....and getting closer because the flippin' truck was rolling.

Rev'd, clutched kicked it into first and pulled into the vacant space between the two lanes as she stopped atop my former position.

I have a feeling what attracted her attention was one of a few things:

1. Me moving

2. Her male passenger yelling and waving his arms at her.

3. The motorcycle God slapping her. Thanks motorcycle God!

Be careful out there! It isn't how well you ride it's how good you look.

BTW, I don't leave the bike in gear and won't. That's just how I roll with my T/O bearings. There's also an old tactical reason/habit that I won't go into.

russell_bynum

Two words: lane splitting.

If you go where they can't go, it will be substantially more difficult for them to hit you.

Always leave it in gear when stopped, throw out bearings are cheaper than damage and injury.

Tactical reasons? Are you left handed?

russell_bynum
Always leave it in gear when stopped, throw out bearings are cheaper than damage and injury.

They also very rarely fail.

Note: I had one fail. It's still very rare. And it's cheap and easy to replace.

I've heard of distracted drivers but distracted stoppers?!? Great, now I'll be watching my rearviews a LOT more at red lights. But I always leave it in gear, Justin Case.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Well,

Right handed. I never wanted to have the bike jump should push come to shove and would have had to drop the bike to either side for cover. Practiced it a few times on our dirt bike and it moved more than I could accommodate.

I use my left hand to do what needs to be done with the face shield, gps, huevos, etc. when stopped otherwise it covers the clutch.

Don't really see a big need for it to be in gear once my six is clear.....as it was....was. Keeping it in gear, one still needs to apply some revs to do anything and maintain control. The time delay is pretty small since it always takes a brief instant for the revs to come up. In that instant time, I can clutch and kick down. I keep my left foot on the peg when stopped, dirty right foot or not.

T/O bearings themselves are cheap, it's putting the tail in the air and pulling Der Flippin' Gearbox that isn't.

I can do a wet clutch in less than an hour and be geared up and test riding. An hour puts one maybe 10-20% into the job on a dry clutch.

I enjoy my garage time but, not that much.

russell_bynum
Well,

Right handed. I never wanted to have the bike jump should push come to shove and would have had to drop the bike to either side for cover. Practiced it a few times on our dirt bike and it moved more than I could accommodate.

I use my left hand to do what needs to be done with the face shield, gps, huevos, etc. when stopped otherwise it covers the clutch.

Don't really see a big need for it to be in gear once my six is clear.....as it was....was. Keeping it in gear, one still needs to apply some revs to do anything and maintain control. The time delay is pretty small since it always takes a brief instant for the revs to come up. In that instant time, I can clutch and kick down. I keep my left foot on the peg when stopped, dirty right foot or not.

T/O bearings themselves are cheap, it's putting the tail in the air and pulling Der Flippin' Gearbox that isn't.

I can do a wet clutch in less than an hour and be geared up and test riding. An hour puts one maybe 10-20% into the job on a dry clutch.

I enjoy my garage time but, not that much.

You do not have to remove the transmission to replace the throwout bearing. You just have to remove the swing arm.

Archived