IGNORED

Another Driveway Drop

Dave39

It happened again, but the first time with this 1200RT. I dropped my previous 1100RT 4 times, once on this steep levee driveway, but for 11 months I've managed to whiz up the ramp on this new bike, stop to look for traffic and take off on Hwy160. Today It was different. I zoomed smartly up to the top, stopped to ensure the hiway was clear and started to accelerate onto the road. The bike lurched and faltered and suddenly it was down. I managed to step aside to the right with the bike laying on its right side on the shoulder. Fortunately a friendly motorist happened along and helped me right the bike. It suffered only a few minor scratches. Fortunately I didn't have the side cases on. I'm still trying to figure out what happened. I was very fatigued from a previous three days of hard bicycle riding and I had just spent and hour fighting a cranky, jamming printer. I was tired and in a bad mood. That contributed, but for some reason the bike hesitated, then lurched as I pulled out on the road. I reflexively let off the throttle and the bike stopped cold on the incline and went down, the engine still running. I guess next time I'm tired and in a sour mood, it's best to stay off the motorcycle.

At least you weren't hurt AND you found (were found by) a friendly helpful passing motorist, to assist you in righting the beast.

All in all, could've been much worse.

Consider it some sort of lesson leaned (?) and proceed.

The road awaits

Regards

Bernd

Lurched huh? Engine still running? Maybe you had it in second gear and neglected to shift back to first. When the bike lurched you may have instinctively down shifted into neutral just as the bike tipped over, leaving it running on its side. Every so often I find myself in second gear at a stop sign or light and starting out gives me a similar sensation until I realize what has happened and either shift down or gas it up. Fortunately, I haven't had this happen on a steep incline like you describe. Glad you're OK.

A little more throttle and a tad longer clutch release for that first go in the morning, my bike has a minor hesitation such as yours after sitting all night but only in the cooler days of the year.

woodscrew

Dave,

I've damn near done the same kind of thing on my 1100rt.Both times I was pulling away with the bike inadvertently in second gear, resulting in a sudden stall while leaning/turning to the right. Managed to save it both times, but I am trying to train myself to make sure I've got first gear before rolling.

Woodscrew

I was in 1st all the time. I always make sure of that. The problem is that I have to start at the top of a steep levee ramp. I usually have to do a clutch slip and steady throttle increase as I ease onto the highway. A few times I've rolled out onto the highway without stopping if it looks like no cars are coming, but it's dangerous because of a blind curve to the left. Many of these cagers out here drive on it it like they are on I-5 and can be on top of you before you even know they are there. For some reason, and for the 1st time, the bike lurched, sputtered and I stupidly let back on the throttle. I know I didn't let the engine warm up at all...was in a hurry and as said before, fatigued. Next time I think I will warm it up a little. Looks like my Illium foot peg took most of the impact. Even when folded it projects just out far enough to provide a little protection of the valve cover.

Hi. I find that my 2010 R1200RT has a tendency to stall upon pulling away when it is cold (especially first thing in the morning). It makes me nervous about dropping the bike should it stall because I barely hold it up with my toes when both feet are extended. I wish there were a way to make it idle faster when it is cold, but I was told that nothing can be done about this because the idle is controlled by the computer chip. I miss the fast idle lever that was on my previous R1150RS.

---John.

I've done dropped my RT twice in the past month -- both times making a slow, tight, right hand turn. First time was making a u-turn on a narrow country road, second time pulling out of a parking space. I have not ridden that long (only about five years) but have had several bikes during that period, my first a SV650S, my last before the RT a HD Ultra Classic (850lbs). The RT is the first bike I've ever dropped. Looking back on the situation, both times I was tired and not paying attention and it seemed like I was not giving it enough gas to straighten it up as I was coming out of the turn. Very frustrating, especially since I did not have any protection (it does now) since "I've never dropped a bike...". I don't know if it stalling, but I know this wasn't an issue with the 2006 1200GS I owned (the RT is a 2010). Maybe also something to do with the different geometries?

aterry1067

Not so bad now that it's warmer, but during the winter if I don't let my RT warm up to at least one bar, it's like riding a bucking horse. I've stalled it more than once on level ground. Had I been on an incline, I'm sure I would have dropped it.

(PS, using the fast idle lever helps a lot when its cold, or when on a steep incline, and especially both)

Jack Herbst

What and where is the fast idle lever on the 08 RT?? I have a lot of trouble starting if over 5000' and below 50 degrees. Would this help??

aterry1067

Sorry about that. I was referring to my 1100rt, and am not familiar with the 1200. On the 1100, it's what many refer to as the "choke" although it's technically not a choke. I don't know if the 1200 has this or not.

DiggerJim

What and where is the fast idle lever on the 08 RT?? I have a lot of trouble starting if over 5000' and below 50 degrees. Would this help??

Ain't got one. The 'puter is supposed to take care of that :)

Archived