IGNORED

Insurance for a R1200GS in the U.S.

Cactus

Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since I had a reason to post - but I've got one now.

Looking at buying an '05 R1200GS (with ABS) and today was quoted $814 per year from my insurance company Progressive. This sounds kind of high to me. Though I know all our insurance situations are different, I'd really appreciate it if some of you R1200GS owners would share approximately what you are paying for your insurance (and which companies you're using) to give me an anecdotal idea if this quote is in the ballpark or if I should try elsewhere (and where).

Thanks,

was quoted $814

That's about what I pay in New Jersey and about double what I will pay in Tennessee. So your number "makes sense" for Northern California.

$398.00 per year to Dairyland in Little Rock, Arkansas. I live in the "hood", have no garage, rent the property and have no tickets that show up on my record. smile.gif

As a side note, with the same demographics I was paying $850.00 per year for my 02 R 1150 RT with Progressive. I guess they thought the RT was "sportier" than the GS. Just goes to show that Actuarial Science is anything but scientific! thumbsup.gif

Mike

Progressive is just ridiculous for NorCal. They quoted me $3800 for my fjr!! Its like they essentially dont want my business.

I would try GMAC or Farmers. Not sure about claims, but their prices seem ok.

The good news is the new RT is almost half of what the FJ used to cost!!

It's going to be hard to draw any real conclusions from others outside of northern Calf. because insurance rates vary so much geographically. But to your question - $402 a year in Kansas City from Dairyland with a couple of tickets showing. Progressive had quoted me $650 or there abouts.

Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since I had a reason to post - but I've got one now.

Looking at buying an '05 R1200GS (with ABS) and today was quoted $814 per year from my insurance company Progressive. This sounds kind of high to me. Though I know all our insurance situations are different, I'd really appreciate it if some of you R1200GS owners would share approximately what you are paying for your insurance (and which companies you're using) to give me an anecdotal idea if this quote is in the ballpark or if I should try elsewhere (and where).

Thanks,

$382 Per year with Dairyland. I am in Rockville, Maryland, with a garage, no ticket.

- $724/year from GEICO with $500 deductable.

- McKinney, Texas, which is a Dallas suburb.

- Garaged, no tickets.

Seems high to me, too. But GEICO was my lowest bid, and I'm getting a bit of a deal because my family has three cars insured with them as well.

Thank's very much everyone, that's great info. Pretty much what I and, I bet, all of us expected: the rates are all over the place. It does show a corolation between major metro areas and high insurance rates though.

You might be interested to know that Progressive categorizes the R1200GS (and it's predesssor the R1150GS) as "Street Sport" motorcycles - you know like the Ninja's and Hyabusa's they resemble so much confused.gif.

One things for sure - insurance companies aren't in the business of losing money.

Oh, and I've also heard good things about State Farm, thanks Gelstra. The local BMW dealer gave me a card for one of their local agents.

Archived