IGNORED

Passed unexpectedly in lane by another bike

New2Wheeler

New2Wheeler

So I'm kind of new to riding, but was surprised by another bike today. Was heading down the interstate at the speed limit (70 mph) when I noticed another rider right behind me. I was riding in the inside third of the right-hand lane, and moved to the right to see the other rider. He must have thought I was giving him room to pass (since there was another vehicle in the inside lane to the left. I have to admit I was very surprised to be passed in my lane..... Did I somehow signal to this guy to pass? I don't have experience riding in groups, so I'm wondering if by shifting my lane position I was giving him the go to pass? I never like to be surprised when riding as I feel it is my responsibility to anticipate others.... this riders action was a surprise to me! Should I have been surprised?

Now you know how those cages feel when they get lane-split. But seriously, I don't think you gave him a signal. I think he just was faster and saw the opening get wider. He would have passed you anyway.

when i was less experienced, i did the same thing once. And i was the bike that did the passing. Now that i am older and slower, i would never do that. Just too little room for error.

YMMV

Sometimes that nearly happens to me, but usually I know what is behind me.

And if it's a bike and moving fast I always take half the lane so if they need the room, they have it.

Here a lot of the cars also move to the side to allow a bike to pass.

Some try to block, but that's rare. About one tries to block for every 100 or more that take to the side of their lane.

A number of the big pick up trucks will reach out and pull in their rear view mirror to make it easier to pass.

Or, they just don't want it broke off.

dc

ShovelStrokeEd

Yes, you kind of gave him a signal that it would be OK to pass within your lane. I have done the same and would interpret your move to further right in your lane as an OK to pass. Good riders do this all the time in the twisties.

I wouldn't worry about it at all on the slab. Lanes are 12 feet wide and you and your bike only take up about 3 feet or so.

what Ed said! I usually pull over a bit as a signal to let them pass. If that fails, I wave them thru.

While nowhere nearly as experienced as Ed (and perhaps the majority of active posters here) I too may well have interpretted your move right as a signal it's OK to pass in lane (legal or not). Doesn't mean I would definitely pass there, but that's how I mostly likely would have read that.

I drive and ride with the philosophy that if anyone wants to get past me, I will let them at the first opportunity. And I usually like to make that opportunity occur before they are on my 6:00.

As David13 pointed out, that requires a lot of awareness of what's going on behind me - pretty much most of the time. Some believe that much focus on what's going on behind them is minimizing their focus in front of them. YMMV.

I hope for the same in return when I'm faster than someone else, but there's nothing I can do to control other drivers/rides, so I don't expect it.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

When you noticed he was behind you he noticed you noticing him.

You said, "I see you."

Then you made a deliberate move that created more room.

You said, "Come on through!"

And he did.

Did he wave to say thanks?

There is nothing "wrong" with what you did. That kind of stuff goes on all the time. You just didn't realize the message you were sending. Next time you'll know to expect it. If you don't want someone to pass, you have to hog the lane. A lot of guys will just come up and camp in your mirror until there's a little more room. Generally, I'll pass someone that makes it obvious that he sees me and is making room- waves me by. Otherwise, if they're holding their line I'll be patient.

beemerman2k

Some years ago (2002, maybe), I was at Laconia Bike Week in New Hampshire. I was riding down a road travelling in the opposite direction of thousands of motorcyclists heading to the races at NHIS. I figured I'd hang out in the right half of my lane (there was only one lane in each direction) just to allow for some error on the part of the hoard of bikes travelling the other way.

Now, the road is turning to my left, such that I cannot see at all far down the road as the pack of bikes are hiding it from view. All of a sudden, a sport bike rips right past me in MY lane while heading in the opposite direction! I did not appreciate that move. I had no reason to believe anyone was going to do such a thing. Had I not relegated myself to the far right of my lane, me and that sport bike would have met head on.

A lot of riders are good, thinking people whose skills are worthy of imitation. On the other hand, there are some real idiots out there, too.

I have been passed in my lane several times in town and country by characters on crotch rockets going at high speed. It caught me by surprise when I first started riding again, but now I'm ready for it if I see one coming up behind. It almost seems to be a sport and intentional act by these guys to dust some old guy on a slower (Rebel or RT) bike. Guess they need the ego trip.

The good news is that you saw him in your mirror. When I first returned to riding, I remember being leaned over to MY maximum in a curve in full concentration mode when I got passed by Zippy on his crotchrocket like I was standing still. I was so focused on my entry line, throttle control, etc. that I hadn't checked my mirrors in the last three seconds. Guess I made his day. "Yeah, I passed this traffic cone dressed in Hi-viz." Probably didn't realize how close he came to death if the novice had paniced.

----

I once had a guy on a Harley who passed me on the right and scared the crap out of me. I was in the fast lane passing another car at a reasonable pace - 70mph or so and I saw him coming behind me quite a way back but closing fast. As I passed the car I was preparing to signal, look and then move to the right lane to allow him to pass. Before I signal, I always make sure I can see the whole car that I have just passed in my mirror. Before I could do any of that, this !@#$%^ dives into the right lane and passes me on the right at probably 90+ mph, wearing no helmet and carrying a passenger, also no helmet and sleeveless vest. I learned that the best thing to do when changing lanes or anything on a bike is to do it methodically and predictably.

Almost forgot REAL LOUD pipes. Scared the crap out of me but I didn't hear them until he was next to me.

When I ride by myself, I tend to be a lane hog, on purpose! The section of lane I'm in, is MINE, ALL MINE and I tend to move around from one side to the other as a clear indicator to anyone behind me that I won't appreciate anyone trying to share my lane at any time.

Now, having said that, if I see a bike coming up on my 6 and he (she) is going faster, I DO usually move purposely to the right and will wave them by. No sweat!

What I try to actively discourage is the unexpected lane sharer!

But then again, YMMV

Regards

Bernd

Did a pass just like that today. Once I know the bike in front me knows I'm behind either by making eye contact in the mirror or moving aside a bit, I jet by.

I purposely ride in either the left or right portion of the lane. If a faster bike wants to pass me on the opposite side of the same lane, you are more than welcome, it's our lane.

Sounds like we've all had that experience.

Mine was with a clown on a HD with ape hangers. I was in the right lane of a highway with 2 lanes of travel each direction. Fortunately I saw this clown coming from a 1/2 mile away. He just barged right on through my lane passing a car on the right at about 85 mph, and his ape hangers just about hit me in the helmet. He had the perfunctory beanie helmet, t-shirt, and straight pipes.

I figure Darwinism will catch up with him soon enough if it hasn't already.

You did indeed give him the common signal to pass, moving to the right. I usually add a finger wave with my left hand as I move over but not necessary if he's already moving up on me. As someone who lane splits regularly I don't see it as unusually hazardous as long as his passing speed is reasonable. No we can't trust every other rider but I saw him, he sees me, seems quite reasonable for him to pass. Just as I would want to pass by a slower rider myself.

I figure Darwinism will catch up with him soon enough if it hasn't already.
Trouble is he's already old enough to pass the stupid gene further on into the gene pool. Darwinism doesn't count - but maybe Karma will.
The good news is that you saw him in your mirror. When I first returned to riding, I remember being leaned over to MY maximum in a curve in full concentration mode when I got passed by Zippy on his crotchrocket like I was standing still. I was so focused on my entry line, throttle control, etc. that I hadn't checked my mirrors in the last three seconds. Guess I made his day. "Yeah, I passed this traffic cone dressed in Hi-viz." Probably didn't realize how close he came to death if the novice had paniced.

----

Nothing more scarey in my opinion than being surprised by a bike passing you unexpectantly at 20+!! But passing as described by OP is perfectly acceptable as long as you're not surprising the sh*t out of the bike in front... unexpectant riders can do scarey things!!

I do not pass another bike in the same lane unless I get a clear signal to pass or a wave through, since I don't have the general expectation that another rider will hold their line. An added complication is what to do when you are coming up behind a bike in traffic, which is slowing and you expect to lane split (California issue.) The scenarios:

a) Bike remains in the #1 lane behind slowing traffic, and moves to the left. Naturally, I'll stagger behind to the right. Problem is, if the traffic slows to a crawl or stops, he's not in a position to lane split, and I would have to pass him so I can. Passing a bike that may wish to cross over and split himself can be a risky proposition. My solution - unless he waves me through or gives me a very clear signal to pass, I'll just take the #2 lane if I can and pass him, then split. Or, if the traffic slows sufficiently so we are both abreast and he can't make an abrupt maneuver, I'll pass and go.

b) Bike remains in the #1 lane behind slowing traffic, and moves to the right. I move to the left and stagger behind, and if all goes well, he'll split at an appropriate time and I'll follow him. If he doesn't do that, I'm screwed until traffic moves again and I can maneuver around him. If he's obviously too wide to split (i.e. big ass Harley or a Wing with highway pegs) I'll just switch lanes before I get there and maneuver around the other side of traffic.

c) I'm in the #1 lane, approaching slowing traffic. I see a bike coming up behind me. I normally ride to the right of the #1 lane on a multi-lane road so I have the position to split when I need to. I stay there. The other rider can either stagger to my left or pass me in the #2 lane. If conditions don't permit that, and it's very clear he can split and I'm too wide, I'll make a deliberate move to the right (or left in the other lane) and wave him through.

Time: Years ago, when I owned an RT

Hour: Early evening, after having already ridden about 600 miles

Situation: Hell's Angels, about 100 of them, taking up both lanes at 60 mph. They do this crap because they can.

Reaction: Relative calm for about 5-10 miles, at which point I figured out that they were not very courteous fellows. Tired and pissed off, I drop it down a gear, pass them on the shoulder doing somewhere in the range of 110-120.

Realization: "Hmmm...that wasn't the smartest thing, was it, Mike?" Kept it at 120 for ten miles or so, then slowed down to about 80, keeping my eyes on my mirrors. "Please, God, do not let my final drive fail me now."

Upon reflection: Sometimes an aggressive pass can be fun, but restraint is generally the better choice.

I have done it opposite direction also, when the passer coming my way needed some more room to make the pass.

When passing another biker in the same lane, I always try to ensure he sees me and pass him gently.

There is nothing that will break your spell of, "what a nice ride I am having", as someone passing you close in your lane and you did not see him coming!

Situation: Hell's Angels, about 100 of them, taking up both lanes at 60 mph. They do this crap because they can.

Reaction: Relative calm for about 5-10 miles, at which point I figured out that they were not very courteous fellows. Tired and pissed off, I drop it down a gear, pass them on the shoulder doing somewhere in the range of 110-120.

Realization: "Hmmm...that wasn't the smartest thing, was it, Mike?" Kept it at 120 for ten miles or so, then slowed down to about 80, keeping my eyes on my mirrors. "Please, God, do not let my final drive fail me now."

Upon reflection: Sometimes an aggressive pass can be fun, but restraint is generally the better choice.

Next time, remember to cover up that Mongels logo on the back of your jacket before you pass!

russell_bynum

At least he didn't pass you on the right. Only jerks do that, you know.

:grin:

About 40 years ago, I was on a secondary road, somewhere out in the valley, going to Yosemite. I was driving my old '59 chebbie truck, going a little over the speed limit. Very large pack of Angels (Of Hell's variety) came up behind me. Without the slightest hesitation, they split into two lines, one line passed on the left, the other on the right. I always wonder, if I had spooked a little and jerked right when they started going by, would I be here today?

To the OP, I would assume it to be a signal to pass, if you moved to the right of the lane. Plenty of room on one lane for two bikes, and if you gave him more room, he probably thanked you and proceeded to what he thought was an invitation to pass. I'm the type that, even if I am going 30 over the speed limit, if someone comes up behind me going faster, I let them pass (moving if necessary). I know this isn't very common nowadays, but i try to be as polite as possible on the roads.

New2Wheeler

What Mr_Tee said:

"I do not pass another bike in the same lane unless I get a clear signal to pass or a wave through, since I don't have the general expectation that another rider will hold their line. "

I'm just glad I didn't zig right (to look) and zig back.... That could have been ugly. In any case it sounds like a left hand extended out after the move to the right would have been a clear "go ahead to pass"... that will be the plan in the future.

thanks for the feedback

Archived