IGNORED

Turn signal lights mod.

chrisz

I have been having difficulty remembering to turn off the turn signal lights after completing turns at intersections. I'm now in a habit of continuously looking down to verify that I turned them off. Anyhow, I was thinking of mounting a set on indicator lights (LED?) on the upper fairing at the upper right and left corners. I can drill a hole and mount the light in the black plastic that just covers the shield lift mechanism. This way it should be more visible without removing the eyes from the road. Anyone try this?

I have thought about the Signal-minder that's available for our bikes, but am not convinced that it would solve my problem. Its likely that it would cancel and I would go throught the intersection without any turn lights on!

Another thought was using a buzzer that could be wired to the flasher relay? Just not sure it would be loud enough to hear with the earplugs and a full-face helmet on.

Your thoughts? tongue.gif

Although I've trained myself to hit the cancel button everytime I turn an intersection, Here's a site you might like.

This site is specific to the Honda Valkyrie, but has some great detailed articles that I've adapted to other bikes. There are articles for adding extra blinker lights and also for adding a "beeper" for turn signals. Pictures and wiring diagrams are included so even dummies like me can make them work without melting down the battery or blowing all the fuses!

I've had my own set of issues with Kisan and the SignalMinder, but in the end I still love the product. I think that there are 2 features of the device which would address your concerns. First, there is a way to wire the SM-5 to the brake light, so it pauses the countdown cycle of the unit, until the brake is released. Second there are 3 time settings you can use, starting with 8 seconds and going up from there.

One additional thing: The SM-5 can also (if you choose to) turn your f/r turn signals into running lights. Although I have done some of the things you talk about in other vehicles with non-cancelling turn signals (old fire engines), I think that having the running light option on a motorcycle is quite valuable.

Tom

I have the SM5 and will not ride without it. If you have ever ridden at night with someone who has a Signal Minder, set up with the signals as running lights you will want that feature. I could spot a guy about 2 miles ahead of me in the dark and pick him out of bumper to bumper traffic near Branson, MO. I would still have the SM if running lights was all it provided.

The self cancellation feature works very well, and we all have to double check ourselves to see that we are making all necessary turn indications, no matter what device we do or do not have. The feature of tying in the brake light, which I do not have, is also a good one. Don't know anything about including a beep/buzz capability, but all of these things may give you what you seek.

Echoing the others that the SM-5 will work.

But if you really want to do your aux. indicators idea, there is no inherent reason why it wouldn't work.

SM-5 is perfect. It also has another feature not addressed. If you hold the turn signal for 2 secs. it flashes very fast for 5 secs in the direction you are turning, then continues at the normal rate until it times out as programmed by you. That really alerts those behind you.

Michael Fajans

Kisan makes LED signal indicators called Vectra Lights which plug into the Signal Minder module. I have attached them under my RT mirrors. They are very bright, blink sequentially and are visible to people next to you in the event that that may be important. When the brakes are employed they perform that function until the brake is released and become turn signals again.

The Signal-minder works great. The guy I bought my bike from had it installed. I will be installing some kind of signal cancellation device on my wife's machine as she is terrible at remembering to cancel them.

Archived